Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Vancouver Canucks 5th round pick - 147th overall

Position: D

Birthdate: Apr 20, 1993

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 192lbs

0qSWT.jpg

Ben Hutton wasn’t glued to the draft, holding his breath, hoping to be picked in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Instead, he was out on a lake fishing with some buddies.

Just after he caught his first bass of the day Saturday, the Canucks made the junior “A” player their fifth-round pick (147th overall).

“My parents are overwhelmed, and I’m just thrilled,” Hutton said from his boat. “I didn’t want to watch the draft and get my hopes up.”

Hutton was passed over in the 2011 NHL draft but debuted this year on the Central Scouting rankings at No. 200 overall. He’s got size, at 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds. But it’s the defenceman’s playmaking that he wanted to talk about.

“I like to use my body when I have to but you would call me a puck-moving defenceman,” said Hutton, who had 11 goals and 32 assists in 57 games split between Kemptville and the Nepean Raiders of the Central Canadian Hockey League.

“I thought I had a very good year when it came to producing offence.”

Hutton will be going to the University of Maine this fall.

-The Province

Edited by Samk

He's a D, solid aquisition by Nepean at the trade deadline, they went all the way to the national championships. Excitedto see a guy born in my home Brockville draftedby the Nucks.

What caliber of league skill are we talking about here with the CCHL?

junior of the Central hockey league it used to be good in the past when they used to be nhl team affiliates not so much now. I know the Central hockey league is close to the ECHL because the AHL teams some times call up players from the team that they are affiliate to like Chicago wolves is Missouri Mavericks they twice called up a goalie and twice a d-man . don't know where their junior league would stand.

Edited by hockeyking

We're officially the same level as the BCHL or the USHL, this is where you go if you'd rather go the NCAA route, and our teams have made the national championship finals 2 years in a row winning one. Wayne Simmonds, Calvin De Haan, Steve Yzerman, Larry Robinson etc. etc. came from this league,

Edited by Winger

No need for a small European forward. 6'1" isn't small, but at 165 lbs, doesn't seem like someone we need.

He's actually 176 I believe, not that it makes a big difference. The point is that some Danish posters on HF and elsewhere believe him to be the most exciting prospect to come out of Denmark since Hansen/Nielsen other than Nicklas Jensen. I would have been very satisfied with that pick.

Edited by Hansen 36

Craig Button was quite enthused about the Hutton pick on the NHL network day two at the draft broadcast, whatever that's worth lol.

Oh noo!!! That's not good :(

Hopefully he overcomes and becomes a strong pick for us.

I really wish Button would have disliked this pick.

• 3 months later...

Hutton's Maine Blackbears are playing their second game tonight vs Notre Dame (it's the 2012 Icebreakers tourney, a 4 team tourney to start the season). the game will be televised in the USA on NBS Sports network (formerly Versus). it starts at 4PM Pacific for anyone in the US that wants to watch. I know I will be watching for sure.

He is #10 in the blue and white sweaters.

Edit: beware, Pierre McGuire will be providing colour commentary... so the McGuire drinking game is in full effect!

Edited by avelanch