The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

2 Apples last night for Maine in there 7-1 win. Devin shore had 1g 4a's... Wasn't a close game from the looks of it at all. He's putting up the points for sure.

they played a REALLY weak, American International College... never heard of them? me neither.

anyway, they played them again today, and won 5-1, but hutton had no points and was +2.

I've been watching some games of his and he is really showing great skating and puck skill.

I really think this guy can become a top 4 for us.

Watch some of his games, and watch how he uses his skating and puck skills to get good passes and good goals.

He's on a roll this season ...is this him coming into his own or a one season flash that's the question. Seems like Gillis thinks it's the coming into his own theory. The Black Bears is a good school, remember the Kariya's all played there. You have to wonder if Vcr wants him and McNally to leave school and play in the AHL next season.

I doubt it, I'm sure they'd rather they each play at least 3 years of college before going pro, unless they absolutely dominate in their sophomore years. Neither are doing that, with McNally needing to work on his defence at least after missing a year, and Hutton likely needing to get some more seasoning as well, so I'd expect them to play at least one more year of NCAA.

Excited about this player.

Gotta think the Canucks will try and sign him after this NCAA season to get him developing at the pro level. He turns 21 in April, and seems to have a pro frame (6'3 200lbs).

His offensive game seems to be well developed already. Like almost every young player he will need to work on playing pro level defense, might as well get him started in the AHL next season.

I think it will be up to Hutton if he wants to stay in school or not.

Edited by mangosteens

I think he should play another year after this, and after that it will be up to him whether he wants a degree or a contract to go pro rather than finish his Senior year.

He definitely has the complete package, great size, quick feet, good offensive instincts and shot, and he can play defence (although he needs to work a little bit on calming down in the defensive zone working on his gap control, which Avalanche and a couple guys on HF noted).

I also find it interesting how he has a very similar PPG pace as Shayne Gostisbehere, who Flyers fans are hyping as one of the best Dmen in the country. This is without the size (SG is 5'11 170~) or defensive ability that Hutton has. Definite diamond in the rough on our hands.

Impressive numbers! A better PPG average than Torey Krug when he was playing his second year in the NCAA with Michigan State Univ.

It'll be up to Hutton on whether or not he wants to stay in school or go the the pros, but either way, I don't think one would be much worse than the other.

Hutton, McNally, Beattie, Subban, Cederholm, etc. Keep finding these gems in the later rounds!

Yeah, what is it about us and 5th round picks of defensemen? Bieksa, Corrado, Hutton and now Cedarholm. Great that Hutton shoots left. In a couple of years, starting with Hamhuis, some of our left-side D's contracts will be expiring and there may be an opening around about the time he'd be ready. This guy definitely has the offensive chops.

• Upvote 1

I think he should play another year after this, and after that it will be up to him whether he wants a degree or a contract to go pro rather than finish his Senior year.

He definitely has the complete package, great size, quick feet, good offensive instincts and shot, and he can play defence (although he needs to work a little bit on calming down in the defensive zone working on his gap control, which Avalanche and a couple guys on HF noted).

I also find it interesting how he has a very similar PPG pace as Shayne Gostisbehere, who Flyers fans are hyping as one of the best Dmen in the country. This is without the size (SG is 5'11 170~) or defensive ability that Hutton has. Definite diamond in the rough on our hands.

If he stays another year, that puts him only one year from being a UFA (ala Justin Schultz). If he keeps us his pace for the next two years, I could see the Canucks putting a pretty major press on this guy to sign after his junior year. If he gets in to his senior year and is not signed by Vancouver, I would say all bets are off.

Yeah, what is it about us and 5th round picks of defensemen? Bieksa, Corrado, Hutton and now Cedarholm. Great that Hutton shoots left. In a couple of years, starting with Hamhuis, some of our left-side D's contracts will be expiring and there may be an opening around about the time he'd be ready. This guy definitely has the offensive chops.

It is interesting. Canucks philosophy seems to be to take forwards in the first two rounds and save the 3rd round and beyond for d-men, NCAA players, and "overage" players. When you think about it, most d-men are "projects" that take time to develop and are harder to predict the finished product. Even first and 2nd round drafted d-men usually take a year or two of minor pro hockey to get their pro level defensive chops.

Edited by mangosteens

as chris higgins once said "if your not a top pick and go the college route, get your degree". personal opinion is he should stay with maine his full 4 years. the NCAA turns out good defenseman every year. depth wise, the D core will look a heck of a lot different in 2-3 seasons.

• Upvote 1