The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

The NCAA UFA loophole was patched in the with the latest CBA

It was? I don't remember hearing anything one way or the other on that.

Even under the old CBA I don't think Hutton would qualify. He was playing CCHL hockey and then went to play in the NCAA right after being drafted. The reason why Justin Schultz was allowed is he played another year of BCHL hockey after being drafted before going on to NCAA, so that when he de-registered from school he could go to UFA status.

Edited by elvis15

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, what is it about us and 5th round picks of defensemen? Bieksa, Corrado, Hutton and now Cedarholm. Great that Hutton shoots left. In a couple of years, starting with Hamhuis, some of our left-side D's contracts will be expiring and there may be an opening around about the time he'd be ready. This guy definitely has the offensive chops.

That's an interesting point. I hadn't considered that before.

It was? I don't remember hearing anything one way or the other on that.

Even under the old CBA I don't think Hutton would qualify. He was playing CCHL hockey and then went to play in the NCAA right after being drafted. The reason why Justin Schultz was allowed is he played another year of BCHL hockey after being drafted before going on to NCAA, so that when he de-registered from school he could go to UFA status.

Yeah, that's right. McNally would be the one guy that we would have to worry about pursuing UFA status that way.

RThat is, if the loophole wasn't closed last year.

voted for him just now. decent distance between him and the top, but lets get these crazy energetic CDC'ers to vote for Ben hutton!

When is the deadline didnt check? but you can vote once a day...so bookmark that and do it daily...for the sake of Ben!!

Hutton's been long-listed for the Hobey Baker Award! he's currently 4th in fan voting, and you can vote for him here: http://hobeybaker.co...rial-award/vote

voted for him just now. decent distance between him and the top, but lets get these crazy energetic CDC'ers to vote for Ben hutton!

When is the deadline didnt check? but you can vote once a day...so bookmark that and do it daily...for the sake of Ben!!

87 more days/opportunities to vote.

I don't think we can state enough you can vote once per day over the next 87 days.

Hutton scored a goal while shorthanded 5 on 3! just Wow!

Quote from hobey baker award page;

Ben Hutton:

2013-2014 (Sophomore):

Has played in all 19 games for the Black Bears... Ranks third on the team in scoring with seven goals and seven assists for 14 points... Tied for the national lead in goals scored by a defenseman with seven... Tied for 15th in the nation in points per game by a defenseman, averaging 0.74... Also ranks tied for 26th nationally in power play goals with four... Had a six game points streak earlier this season... Leads Maine in blocked shots with 23... Nearing the single season goal leaders by a defenseman in Maine history... Scored a goal earlier this season when Maine was shorthanded 5-on-3... Among the team-leaders in +/- with a +8.

1582 now, up by 200 over Gaudreau and in first place. remember to keep voting every 24 hrs to keep him in the lead

and I reported the 3 on 5 shortie when it happened. it was a squeaker of a goal, but it was all him.

Edited by avelanch

Though I voted for Hutton; apparently the votes only worth 1%

Also Johnny Gaudreau got screwed out of the Hobey Baker last year cause he was a sophomore and he's played insanely good for a 12 year old kid this year. Hobey Baker award usually goes to seniors and not sophomores or juniors. If Hutton makes final 3 that'll be awesome.

Edited by LuckyLuciano