The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Play Myers more with Hughes,  and watch what happens.

Myers has mostly played with Hughes in these playoffs and he's a defensive heart attack waiting to happen.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ve said it before,  let’s see how long this “glass slipper” lasts,.  We’re only starting playoff games now.

He does not shut down”

He tracks..  to the pass off, then re sets..  rarely shuts down.. that takes physicality.

He dosent move anyone in front of the net,

tries to stay involved, but is usually used as extra screen by a forward who handles him.

Injury prone yeah.... you’re making him sound like a pylon and that’s just silly.  The guy is a very good player... moves the puck out of the zone quickly (he’s willing to take a beating doing so which is why he ends up injured, this year he seems to have figured that out/benefited from playing with someone else who can move the puck quickly). 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Let’s see how long the “glass slipper” lasts in this story..  

we’ve only just started playoff play,. Not his strong point.    It’s tough when your a target.

Guys get injured in the playoffs (and the regular season for that matter), it's part of it and you just hope it doesn't happen to your team.  Look at Winnipeg and their injuries, and how that affected their series, but would you consider getting rid of either of those guys because they might get injured again?  

You don't get rid of a player like Tanev because you are afraid he might get injured.  He is a huge character guy, huge team player, and does a tremendous amount of work (the dirty work no one wants to do) to help this team win.

Remind me, what are you arguing?  That we should not re-sign Tanev or that he's too expensive?  Who is going to replace him at this point?

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

Guys get injured in the playoffs (and the regular season for that matter), it's part of it and you just hope it doesn't happen to your team.  Look at Winnipeg and their injuries, and how that affected their series, but would you consider getting rid of either of those guys because they might get injured again?  

You don't get rid of a player like Tanev because you are afraid he might get injured.  He is a huge character guy, huge team player, and does a tremendous amount of work (the dirty work no one wants to do) to help this team win.

Remind me, what are you arguing?  That we should not re-sign Tanev or that he's too expensive?  Who is going to replace him at this point?

I would say do not re-sign , his 4-5 mil can be used to secure another UFA perhaps that is bigger better stronger, so on. 
takd his money. and the 2-3 that would go to Stetcher to entice Petrangelo.

Joulevi, Rathbone, Rafferty , addition of Tryamkin   There’s a waft if players we could lose if we snooze.

This team has notoriously hung on to the running the old guard .

I don’t see Tanev finishing this next series healthy.  I will be pleasantly surprised if he does. 
Im not going to debate how I see a new d core lining up with you or anyone else here.

its the Tanev thread.    And I hold tight with my thoughts on this player.   

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I would say do not re-sign , his 4-5 mil can be used to secure another UFA perhaps that is bigger better stronger, so on. 

Joulevi, Rathbone, Rafferty , addition of Tryamkin   There’s a waft if players we could lose if we snooze.

I don’t see Tanev finishing this next series healthy.  I will be pleasantly surprised if he does. 
Im not going to debate how I see a new d core lining up with you or anyone else here.

Yeah. I'm not sure that Tanev comes out of this series injury free. Like you, I'd be pleasantly surprised. 

Petrangelo is a UFA? He's going to be asking for a lot, and the team is already in a cap crunch. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I haven't been on the side of retaining Tanev mainly because of his age and playing style. Many talk about how he has helped Hughes and Hughes himself has said the same. I suggest that Hughes has helped Tanev just as much. Hughe's ability to move the puck out of the d-zone takes immense pressure off Tanev. His most injury free season in many is the result. That doesn't change Tanev's reality in that his body has been beaten up a lot over his career. As a RD I don't see him being forced out of the top 4 right now. That said he won't be a top 4 d-man in 3 years when the Canucks seriously challenge for a CUP. Where does Benning invest his CAP and TOI over the next 2 years to prepare this young group for CUP contention? IMO both Edler and Tanev will likely be gone in 3 years. That's a big hole. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I'm not sure that Tanev comes out of this series injury free. Like you, I'd be pleasantly surprised. 

Petrangelo is a UFA? He's going to be asking for a lot, and the team is already in a cap crunch. 

Does a Edler have one more year with us?  ... 

15 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Tanev has played very well so far including the series winning goal.

I love this heart and soul guy. Can't wait for the Canucks to sign him, which they certainly will. Such a solid guy.

St. Louis 2nd goal game one..   looks like a pumpkin hour moment for Tanev.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:02 PM, J-Dizzle said:

Injury prone yeah.... you’re making him sound like a pylon and that’s just silly.  The guy is a very good player... moves the puck out of the zone quickly (he’s willing to take a beating doing so which is why he ends up injured, this year he seems to have figured that out/benefited from playing with someone else who can move the puck quickly). 

St. Louis 2nd goal game one..   looks like a pumpkin hour moment for Tanev.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:46 PM, SilentSam said:

I remember when you use to bash Luongo, and Edler, and and and. You always seem to have a whipping boy, you just seemed to pick probably the most unwhippable guy lol. Tanev rarely has a bad game, is consistently a plus player, even when the Canucks were terrible. You're wrong. This team is not as good without Tanev. Tanman has covered for Hughes so many times.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I remember when you use to bash Luongo, and Edler, and and and. You always seem to have a whipping boy, you just seemed to pick probably the most unwhippable guy lol. Tanev rarely has a bad game, is consistently a plus player, even when the Canucks were terrible. You're wrong. This team is not as good without Tanev. Tanman has covered for Hughes so many times.

But can the team afford to keep him? 

They are tight against the cap - and they can't afford to keep everyone unless some players take discounts. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't think Sam needs a 'whipping boy'. When we talk about Tanev it is all about where the team will be in 3 years and making the moves now that build a serious contender. Tanev is a top pairing d-man on the current team. His play is raising his value, not just for his resigning but also for possibly moving him. Hard to watch current games and consider such a move. That is Benning's job and he has been pretty good at it.  

• Cheers 1