The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

This one really sucks.

Its crazy through the rebuild all the talk of Tanev being traded. Personally not expecting him to be back. Yet it still hurts alot to see him in Calgary.

This was Tanev's last big contract, and we just couldn't afford him at this point. That's what it boils down too. Can't blame him for a second.

Hopefully he gets a proper salute. He played in game 7... He may play for Calgary now but hes a Canuck. Glad his last goal here was a series winner.

All the best Tanman.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 2:06 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

This was Tanev's last big contract, and we just couldn't afford him at this point.

He got no raise with the new contract. 4.5 vs 4.45. Benning chose Myers for 1.5 million more.

Who lets a player walk that could be resigned for the same money ? I assumed he got a raise. Dumb move by Benning.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He got no raise with the new contract. 4.5 vs 4.45. Benning chose Myers for 1.5 million more.

Who lets a player walk that could be resigned for the same money ? I assumed he got a raise. Dumb move by Benning.

Myers was signed the year prior (2019), not last year (2020). It was not a decision between Myers and Tanev.

• 2 months later...

I think the Tanev situation does a good job of illustrating how truly inept Jim Benning was at his job.

Not only was Tanev a warrior on the ice but the young core looked up to him as a veteran leader.

For someone who preached veteran leadership and "culture" (and butchered his cap structure in the name of it), Benning quite carelessly tossed aside one of the few guys we had that actually exemplified those qualities.

Since he's been gone (AHHH KELLY CLARKSON), we've desperately needed player of his exact skillset. Who knows when we'll find a legit long-term partner for Hughes... stud RD's don't grow on trees.

Tanev & Markstrom make it hard to hate on Calgary these days.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:40 PM, -AJ- said:

Myers was signed the year prior (2019), not last year (2020). It was not a decision between Myers and Tanev.

Not directly, but if we didn't have Myers on the books we'd have space for the Tanev.

Unfortunately our GM at the time had little to no idea of simple concepts like "opportunity cost" and "long-term planning".

Edited by kanucks25
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not directly, but if we didn't have Myers on the books we'd have space for the Tanev.

Unfortunately our GM at the time had little to no idea of simple concepts like "opportunity cost" and "long-term planning".

I'm not really on the blame-Benning train, but to this day I still believe letting Tanev walk was a mistake.

Tanev hasn't slowed down at all the way everyone (myself included) thought he would. He may well continue his solid play into the end of this contract as many shutdown defencemen seem to somehow keep persisting despite all the physicality he endures.

We had to make a call on Demko vs Markstrom and for sure made the right decision there, but looking back we really should have re-signed Tanev. He would have complemented our top-4 so well next to Hughes. While everyone loves an offensive defenceman, I think a good shutdown guy like Tanev is much harder to come by.

Happy for Tanev so far that he's doing well and no doubt he would have helped us both last season and this one on a reasonable contract.

I'd say the jury's still out on whether letting him walk was the right move or not though. If he misses lots of games and slows down a bit during the last two years of his contract things start to look quite different. He's also not the long term answer for us anyway.

• 3 months later...

This is fascinating, I'd been informed that since Chris was no longer a Canuck, he would not get injured.

People were talking all about different style of play and different protective equipment, yet here we are.

On the non sarcasm side-- I am not surprised Chris came back to play, with injuries that would keep me from getting into a t- shirt.

Guy has a huge pain threshold.

Just can't stay healthy.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Like we didn’t know he was a warrior, but it has now been reported he played the 2nd series after having dislocated his shoulder against Dallas.

He will be having surgery and be out 4-6 months 

Wasn't it only ONE game? I'm sorry folks, but he still gets injured, and at the most inopportune times. Playoffs for one. Loved him as a Canuck, and as someone else has said, isn't it time they invented something to help shot blockers stay semi injury free.

• Cheers 1

Tanev's last year as a Canuck he had shot blockers/shin guards manufactured specifically for him.  To my knowledge he hasn't had an injury from shot blocking since.

This injury is a shoulder.  Don't tell me he got that from blocking a shot.  Ha ha.  It could happen to anyone.

This narrative is just old. 

Losing Tanev was just bad management.  The Canucks have been hurting on the right side ever since.

27 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Tanev's last year as a Canuck he had shot blockers/shin guards manufactured specifically for him.  To my knowledge he hasn't had an injury from shot blocking since.

This injury is a shoulder.  Don't tell me he got that from blocking a shot.  Ha ha.  It could happen to anyone.

This narrative is just old. 

Losing Tanev was just bad management.  The Canucks have been hurting on the right side ever since.

Twist things however you want man. Fact of the matter is he's played 1 complete season (this year), and still wasn't available when the flames needed him the most. We can't afford to be signing players to make an impact from the press box. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Twist things however you want man. Fact of the matter is he's played 1 complete season (this year), and still wasn't available when the flames needed him the most. We can't afford to be signing players to make an impact from the press box. 

What are you talking about?

Tanev has played every game for the past 3 seasons

2019-20  69 of 69 games

2020-21  56 of 56 games

2021-22  82 of 82  games

You need a fact checker Sheckey

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

What are you talking about?

Tanev has played every game for the past 3 seasons

2019-20  69 of 69 games

2020-21  56 of 56 games

2021-22  82 of 82  games