The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

24 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Marginally better. You can't use their lotto pick as a sweetener to our trade deal though :lol:. I know we have an abundance of defence and a lack of scoring but the fact remains that Arizona is as bad as us when it comes to many things this year, including scoring goals. I don't know how Chayka's calculator works down there, but if I were an Arizona fan I'd be pissed at him for moving a sophomore scorer for Tanev. That's not a knock on Tanev as much as it's an observation on how their needs and our needs are similar enough to make us unlikely trade partners.

They need defence and scoring, but in order to get defence they give up one of their leading scorers? It doesn't add up for them and neither Baer's off season or Granlund's work ethic should be enough to make them buy. If they did? Good for JB.

I would hesitate to throw Rodin into any deals before we know what we have in him.

Not using it as a sweetener. But If they can get Tanev AND one of Baer/Rodin/Granlund plus largely replace Domi with their top 5 pick this summer, that puts them ahead of where they currently are long term.

Between one of our wingers and the right draft pick, they're pretty on par for GF as soon as next year (likely ahead long term) and likely quite a bit further ahead with their GA. Especially given their coach and that he's always liked to play a solid D/goaltending with counter attack style. That plays right in to their hands IMO.

Edited by J.R.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not using it as a sweetener. But If they can get Tanev AND one of Baer/Rodin/Granlund plus largely replace Domi with their top 5 pick this summer, that puts them ahead of where they currently are long term.

Between one of our wingers and the right draft pick, they're pretty on par for GF as soon as next year (likely ahead long term) and likely quite a bit further ahead with their GA. Especially given their coach and that he's always liked to play a solid D/goaltending with counter attack style. That plays right in to their hands IMO.

Fair enough. Let's just say I like the deal a lot more for us than I do for them. Still against moving Rodin at this point though.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Fair enough. Let's just say I like the deal a lot more for us than I do for them. Still against moving Rodin at this point though.

Yeah, at the SOONEST, this would be TDL. But far more likely IMO it would be in the summer, ahead of the draft.

We do have some D prospects in our system now.Thank you JB.  How many of them have proven themselves to be of consistant NHL quality?Just because we have numbers of D does not mean we have proven quality. This will be the year where JB will focus on  potential forwards with a possibility of seeing Boeser playing in nucks jersey.I couldnt see the  risk trading a d man like tanev with no proven replacement. This year (from here on out unfortunately because of our standings ) should be 100% evaluating what we do have with minor no risk trades looking for a diamond in the rough. Jb will get our shore up our forwards/maybe another center before next season just like what he did with the d last year. Be patient.

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

We do have some D prospects in our system now.Thank you JB.  How many of them have proven themselves to be of consistant NHL quality?Just because we have numbers of D does not mean we have proven quality. This will be the year where JB will focus on  potential forwards with a possibility of seeing Boeser playing in nucks jersey.I couldnt see the  risk trading a d man like tanev with no proven replacement. This year (from here on out unfortunately because of our standings ) should be 100% evaluating what we do have with minor no risk trades looking for a diamond in the rough. Jb will get our shore up our forwards/maybe another center before next season just like what he did with the d last year. Be patient.

Is Drouin a centre or wing?  Tanev for Drouin?

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, I prefer Domi too.  Pratt (TSN 1040 this morning) was talking about Tanev for Drouin though, so that's where that came from.

To be fair though, Pratt's a moron who likes to throw crap at walls in hopes some of it will stick.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

To be fair though, Pratt's a moron who likes to throw crap at walls in hopes some of it will stick.

Those clowns are so predictable it is comical. They are in the business of 'creating' speculation so that numbers justify their pay cheques. Simple as that.

• 4 weeks later...

Tanev moved into 109th in all time scoring today.  Benning better trade him before he gets passed, fortunately he has until at least the trade deadline to make the move.

108.  Jim Benning D 241 15 55 70
109.  Chris Tanev D 315 14 56 70
110.  Pavol Demitra C 97 23 46 69

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Tanev moved into 109th in all time scoring today.  Benning better trade him before he gets passed, fortunately he has until at least the trade deadline to make the move.

108.  Jim Benning D 241 15 55 70
109.  Chris Tanev D 315 14 56 70
110.  Pavol Demitra C 97 23 46 69

Look who's ahead of him.

As of last night, the Canucks have played 23 games with Tanev in the lineup this season and 24 games without Tanev in the lineup.

With Tanev:

14-4-5 (71.7% P%), +5 goal differential (51-46; excluding empty net goals), goalie Sv% 93.2%

Without Tanev:

8-15-1 (35.4% P%), -18 goal differential (56-74; excluding empty net goals), goalie Sv% 90.2%

Canucks a top 5 team in the NHL with Tanev in the lineup, bottom 5 team without Tanev in the lineup.  Stark contrast.

• Upvote 2