The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller | #30 | G

-SN-

So who's our starter next season? Miller? Marky? Split 50-50? In spite of how well Markström has played I feel like Millsy has to start. You don't pay a man $6M to ride the bench, even part time. I'm predicting a 3-1 split.

15 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

So who's our starter next season? Miller? Marky? Split 50-50? In spite of how well Markström has played I feel like Millsy has to start. You don't pay a man $6M to ride the bench, even part time. I'm predicting a 3-1 split.

It's Miller. Barring injury, of course. No ones going to trade for the guy anyway. He can still be a solid net minder when healthy, but, JB REALLY needs to upgrade at least half of the top-4 defenceman in front of him for him to be useful. The organisation has other options at backup besides Markstrom, except for Demko, who hopefully will get a full season as the starter for a playoff team in Utica. 

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:29 PM, Fakename70 said:

It's Miller. Barring injury, of course. No ones going to trade for the guy anyway. He can still be a solid net minder when healthy, but, JB REALLY needs to upgrade at least half of the top-4 defenceman in front of him for him to be useful. The organisation has other options at backup besides Markstrom, except for Demko, who hopefully will get a full season as the starter for a playoff team in Utica. 

I agree but there may be an offer you can't refuse at TDL day. Is still very competent in net but definitely needs an upgrade on the D in front of him.

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I agree but there may be an offer you can't refuse at TDL day. Is still very competent in net but definitely needs an upgrade on the D in front of him.

Absolutely!  JB MUST get assets for coming UFA's.  This letting UFA's leave and getting nothing for them MUST STOP!  What ever the return for Miller, HE MUST BE TRADED, and the sooner the better.  No more Vrbata's and Hamhuis'.

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Trade him only if the Canucks are out of it at the deadline. But, not before. Would like to see Demko get a full year at Utica before he gets the call.

Underrated and unappreciated player in these parts.  Maybe they make a trade at TDL, but it really depends on how Marks is playing.  JB might even give him a 1 year extension if he doesn't think Marks is ready to be #1.  Most likely we'll see a good backup that is capable of playing 30 games for a couple of seasons before any Demko sightings.

Demko needs +++ time in Utica to learn the pro game.  It would be a huge mistake to rush him into the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2016 at 1:53 PM, Fakename70 said:

Trade him only if the Canucks are out of it at the deadline. But, not before. Would like to see Demko get a full year at Utica before he gets the call.

Thing is, unless there's a repeat of injuries like last season the Canucks will likely be in the playoff hunt at the TDL, and thus will not look to trade him.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thing is, unless there's a repeat of injuries like last season the Canucks will likely be in the playoff hunt at the TDL, and thus will not look to trade him.

You're assuming the young kids will continue to develop enough that they can contribute to a playoff push next season. I think the jury's still out on that. Benning would need to add a couple strategically-placed veterans in the top-6 among forwards and at least 1 among the top-4 defenceman for that to become reality. Put a squad like that in front of a healthy Miller and you just might have something next season. 

Consider that last year they were right in the middle of it until the Colorado game when both Edler and Sutter went down, and this after all the early-season blown leads.  We've yet to see how much turnover in the roster there'll be, but in the least the young players forming the new core will all be a year older, and we have $ to spend in free agency.  The subtraction and replacement of players like Weber, Bartkowski, and Vrbata also has to be considered a net gain.

You've gotta wonder if Lucic does come to Vancouver, does Miller request a trade out? 

Barring that scenario though, I think we see a 50-30 split assuming both guys stay healthy.

Markstrom is the future but Miller is still the 6 million dollar man so unless he breaks down, he's playing at least 2 of every 3.

On June 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM, bubbaCHUCK said:

still a solid #1, can be a #1 on any team that wants him. i would re-sign him for another 3 years and trade markstrom for a big chip.

if demko has a stellar year in the ahl, and they can get great value for markstrom, then trading markstrom would be the best move. Drool- maybe JB could get a great asset - dare to dream.

• Upvote 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:05 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm actually predicting more of a 60/40 split to start.  Maybe even a a 50/50 split.  Markstrom is going to be our goalie going forward until Demko is ready, so it would be wise to subject him to a larger workload than 3:1. 

In addition, Miller isn't getting any younger.  I predict it will become apparent that Markstrom's is the better goalie less than 1/3 of the way through the season, at which time I expect you'll see him start to take the crease from Miller as the season goes on.

Edited by kloubek

• 3 months later...

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I doubt we would trade him at the deadline if our focus is getting back into winning.

You could probably count on Miller being here for the remainder of his contract.

I'd say it depends on the market come TD.  If a team has a #1 goalie go down, Miller might fetch a decent return.  Imagine if a player like Jones, or Quick go out long term, Miller would be a perfect fill in for those teams.  Experienced, short term (rental), and wouldn't have an outrageous asking price.

Honestly, i can see the stars being interested in Miller this TD.  Miller would be an upgrade on a goalie like Niemi to push Lehtonen even more.  Millers contract will be off the books this summer, freeing up much needed cap space (benn contract extension), and the coach already has a good relationship/ understanding with him. 

It also depends if Markstrom can push his way into the #1 spot and hold on to it, which I think he can. 

• Upvote 1