The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian "Spinner" Spencer

Whenever I hear the team name Penguins i can't help but think about a scene from a movie on the tragic life of Spencer.  The set up is the former Leaf potential great is dealt from the Sabres to Pittsburg and comes back to his place raging to a girlfriend that he can't believe he was just traded to a team known as the Penguins !!!  The Penguins !!!   It is a wussy name but you do have to admire their Cup history.  We can only dream.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Whenever I hear the team name Penguins i can't help but think about a scene from a movie on the tragic life of Spencer.  The set up is the former Leaf potential great is dealt from the Sabres to Pittsburg and comes back to his place raging to a girlfriend that he can't believe he was just traded to a team known as the Penguins !!!  The Penguins !!!   It is a wussy name but you do have to admire their Cup history.  We can only dream.

at the time he was traded to pitt, from buf ,buffalo was a top 5 team and pitt up to that point ,historically was a ceiler dweller with the worst uni's in the league , so who could blame him?     things never turned around for pittsburg until 3,4 years AFTER lemieux's arrivale 1990./91 

I realize that about

3 minutes ago, chon derry said:

at the time he was traded to pitt, from buf ,buffalo was a top 5 team and pitt up to that point ,historically was a ceiler dweller with the worst uni's in the league , so who could blame him?     things never turned around for pittsburg until 3,4 years AFTER lemieux's arrivale 1990./91 

That I recognize they were a bad team during and after him...it was just his reaction to the team name.  Again despite their name you can't argue with their winning ways.

1 hour ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

That's so funny. I was just thinking this the other day. I always picture that movie scene when the Pens are brought up. haha

12 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Penguins kind of makes sense since they live on ice. Coyotes, Panthers, Sharks, Ducks, Blue Jackets, Predators not so much. 

In a way it's even a better name than Leafs. Which disappear in the autumn and don't come back until spring.  

Which is ironic cause spring time is when the Toronto Maple Leafs tend to disappear.

23 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Reminds me of a quote from Chris Nilan in a documentary on him (available on Netflix). He says that he is proud to have played his career as a Hab and a Ranger and not something else like a Duck.

Pelle Lindbergh. 1984-85 Vezina Trophy Winner.  Car Crash 10 November, 1985 in his Porsche 930 Turbo. Taken off life support and died 11 November. Driving with a blood alcohol level of .24%. 26 years old. Being top of the world in his profession, to losing his life. That's sad. 

Was a bit before my time, but "Spinner" Spencer sounded like quite the story.

To youngin's unfamiliar with this hockey lore..didn't his old man threaten a CBC bldg(with shotgun) if they didn't turn back to the Leafs broadcast? Might've been his son's first game? Cops shot him dead, I believe.

Was reading a sad article by Calgary scribe, Eric Duhatschek, so long ago(about 30 yrs back)..& he wrote about this kid's motivation to make the bigs, despite coming from a rather chaotic upbringing. If memory serves, iconic Flames trainer Bearcat Murray(anyone remember him?) put this kid up for a spell. Apparently he'd be up half the night doing push-ups, was so driven to make it at all costs.

Over the yrs, the system has produced a number of these cases. We usually only hear about the ones who make it.

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was a bit before my time, but "Spinner" Spencer sounded like quite the story.

To youngin's unfamiliar with this hockey lore..didn't his old man threaten a CBC bldg(with shotgun) if they didn't turn back to the Leafs broadcast? Might've been his son's first game? Cops shot him dead, I believe.

Was reading a sad article by Calgary scribe, Eric Duhatschek, so long ago(about 30 yrs back)..& he wrote about this kid's motivation to make the bigs, despite coming from a rather chaotic upbringing. If memory serves, iconic Flames trainer Bearcat Murray(anyone remember him?) put this kid up for a spell. Apparently he'd be up half the night doing push-ups, was so driven to make it at all costs.

Over the yrs, the system has produced a number of these cases. We usually only hear about the ones who make it.

He contacted his father early one season to say he had been called up by Toronto to play that night for the first time but the CBC was carrying the Canuck game as a regional broadcast.  He drove into Prince George and threatened the staff at CKPG with a rifle.  I think they actually switched over to the eastern game at least locally. Shortly after he was shot and killled by the RCMP.  Brian played 10 years in the league. He himself was killed in the late 80's down in Florida in the usual drug deal gone bad routine.

Archived