The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hansen for Killorn

With Hansen, Tampa would get 2 extra years at the same cap and salary for a similar style player.  I would argue that if the Bolts couldn't get Killorn to sign a reasonable contract, and took him to arbitration, he wouldn't get a substantial increase.  To me it makes sense for the Bolts to keep Killorn and try to sign him or take him to arbitration if that fails.  Killorn has more years to grow and more potential upside to Hansen at this point in his career. 

My Bias:   I also love Hansen and don't want to see him traded unless it's for offensive punch.  You can't replace Hansen with one player, he fits into every line, he is super depth.

The trade is totally reasonable though, I'm sure other GMs in the league recognize what Hansen brings to any team.  I wouldn't freak out and get all emotional if this trade happened....but Hansen dammit, let's keep him.

1 hour ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

With Hansen, Tampa would get 2 extra years at the same cap and salary for a similar style player.  I would argue that if the Bolts couldn't get Killorn to sign a reasonable contract, and took him to arbitration, he wouldn't get a substantial increase.  To me it makes sense for the Bolts to keep Killorn and try to sign him or take him to arbitration if that fails.  Killorn has more years to grow and more potential upside to Hansen at this point in his career. 

My Bias:   I also love Hansen and don't want to see him traded unless it's for offensive punch.  You can't replace Hansen with one player, he fits into every line, he is super depth.

The trade is totally reasonable though, I'm sure other GMs in the league recognize what Hansen brings to any team.  I wouldn't freak out and get all emotional if this trade happened....but Hansen dammit, let's keep him.

Killorn has basically scored 40 points in each of the last 3 years. Then, as mentioned above, beasted in the play offs...

He would love going to arbitration! & its the last thing the Bolts want. He's 25. First he'd be paid Alex Burrows money for a year, play in Tampa..  And then he'd be UFA next year.

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Killorn has basically scored 40 points in each of the last 3 years. Then, as mentioned above, beasted in the play offs...

He would love going to arbitration! & its the last thing the Bolts want. He's 25. First he'd be paid Alex Burrows money for a year, play in Tampa..  And then he'd be UFA next year.

Not far off Burrows money for sure, I was thinking between 3 and 4.  I still think it makes sense for the Bolts to keep him even at 4.2 and then deal with him as a UFA.  Even if they do go to arbitration and he is awarded 4.2, which I figure is high, they would still have him for the season and could trade his rights after the season, or at the TDL.  I don't see Tampa giving up on Killorn.and I don't think arbitration is the last thing they want.  I would agree it's not ideal for them.

Whoa, a trade proposal that actually considers the other team's needs? Crazy.

Seems reasonably fair to me. Tampa's about to experience some serious cap trouble, and having a good 2/3 line winger on a dirt cheap contract would be of great interest to them.

2 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Not far off Burrows money for sure, I was thinking between 3 and 4.  I still think it makes sense for the Bolts to keep him even at 4.2 and then deal with him as a UFA.  Even if they do go to arbitration and he is awarded 4.2, which I figure is high, they would still have him for the season and could trade his rights after the season, or at the TDL.  I don't see Tampa giving up on Killorn.and I don't think arbitration is the last thing they want.  I would agree it's not ideal for them.

If they think, for example, they can re sign Stamkos > I'm guessing they bridge Namestnikov.  Kucherov > $5.5 long term, Killorn 3 years at $4.5, Stevie @ $10.5, Namestnikov bridged 2 years at $2.? (depending on where cap lands). This gives them, with the burgeoning development of all their young talent, their best chance at a cup.

Next summer> part of their pickle, $5.9 mill) is gobbled up trading Bishop as they have Vailevskly & Gudlevskis. They can, and will have no compunction about, bridging bad ass Drouin. Sustr won't command big money (less than Tanev?). And they probably trade one their expensive small forwards, I suggest Palat, to further make enough room for Hedman.  Next summer will have tougher decisions,

I  believe they will hold off on the toughest decisions for next year before dumping cap. If Stamkos does not sign, then really its all moot.  And they near made the finals without him?

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If they think, for example, they can re sign Stamkos > I'm guessing they bridge Namestnikov.  Kucherov > $5.5 long term, Killorn 3 years at $4.5, Stevie @ $10.5, Namestnikov bridged 2 years at $2.? (depending on where cap lands). This gives them, with the burgeoning development of all their young talent, their best chance at a cup.

Next summer> part of their pickle, $5.9 mill) is gobbled up trading Bishop as they have Vailevskly & Gudlevskis. They can, and will have no compunction about, bridging bad ass Drouin. Sustr won't command big money (less than Tanev?). And they probably trade one their expensive small forwards, I suggest Palat, to further make enough room for Hedman.  Next summer will have tougher decisions,

I  believe they will hold off on the toughest decisions for next year before dumping cap. If Stamkos does not sign, then really its all moot.  And they near made the finals without him?

I agree with your numbers for the most part, all are reasonable expectations. I probably should have qualified my original comment with the assumption that Stamkos is going to walk, that's what I believe will happen.  Killorn could be a long-term piece for them, and I don't think they give up hope on getting a value bridge contract done.  They seem to have some decent options and difficult decisions.  I wonder if Stevie Y is getting the GM blotchy face.

If Tampa resigns Stamkos for what he is worth, then they will have to move someone out.

This is where players like Hansen Sbisa and Tanev have increased value.  We can take on cap and give back a serviceable player that fills the vacancy the cap strapped team has created. 

Hansen can play up and down the line up and has a great contract for his production. He could get a promising player that just costs too much for the other team to keep. 

This would appear to be part of JB's strategy.  Sutter of Bonino is his first attempt.  JB could likely hang on to his picks when makin these moves, but Iike the method. 

Archived