The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORTS) Canucks interview Dante Fabbro early, at the combine.

CHYCHRUN

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Maybe JB is planning for a scenario that the Oilers trade 4th pick to Montreal who pick Dubois.  Then Arizona calls and offers the 7th and 20th in order to pick Tkachuk.  The Canucks pick Jost at 7 and Fabbro at 20 (if he is still there).  If JB is worried that Fabbro will be gone before 20th then he tries to trade down using a roster player or Torts 2nd to trade down.  Just my thoughts if JB covets Jost and Fabbro.

I love the speculation; however Tort's 2nd round pick has been confirmed by CBJ that they won't give it up this year. It's either next year or the year after that.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I love the speculation; however Tort's 2nd round pick has been confirmed by CBJ that they won't give it up this year. It's either next year or the year after that.

Was actually a good scenario, maybe not for us but something to talk about.

9 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Didn't MIke Gillis say they usually interview over 20 players at the combine?

nothing to see here, chances are we also interviewed Jake Bean, among others.

Move on guys, nothing to see here.

It's not your place to tell others what to do. you don't like it then YOU go away!

Just now, westcoast said:

Was actually a good scenario, maybe not for us but something to talk about.

Oh no, I didn't mean to be a negative nancy. I think he engineered some really interesting scenarios. It's just that the CBJ Torts pick can't be factored into it.

13 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Didn't MIke Gillis say they usually interview over 20 players at the combine?

nothing to see here, chances are we also interviewed Jake Bean, among others.

Move on guys, nothing to see here.

Nothing to see? If the Canucks were standing pat, they would have zero reason to interview a guy that's ranked 15-20. It is news worthy of a topic discussion. If they had him interviewed right off the top then they have obviously scouted this guy and have interest.

This might be a guy they target.

Usually teams interview players they think might be available for selection. Fabbro isn't such unless they are taking him 5th. 

3 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Usually teams interview players they think might be available for selection. Fabbro isn't such unless they are taking him 5th. 

That's not the only possible conclusion that one can draw from that data. It is possible that Benning is trying to trade extra 'pieces' for more picks (e.g. Burrows, Higgins, Sbisa, etc.) and trying to decide who he would select if he obtains those picks. Consensus rankings suggest that if we keep our 5th pick, we take Dubois or Tkachuk.

16 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Nothing to see? If the Canucks were standing pat, they would have zero reason to interview a guy that's ranked 15-20. It is news worthy of a topic discussion. If they had him interviewed right off the top then they have obviously scouted this guy and have interest.

Another possibility is, if as others had said: if EDM takes Dubois 4th, then possibly Canucks could trade down from 5th with a package and be in a position to take Fabbro and Jost. Or some other mid round picks.

21 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

The Canucks might be interested in Fabbro, but interviewing him at the combine is no indication that they have any special interest in Fabbro. My guess is they are just doing their due diligence, being thorough so they'll be well prepared for the draft because who knows what can happen.

They could be planning on getting Fabbro, but nothing here suggests that this is their intention. 

13 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

That's not the only possible conclusion that one can draw from that data. It is possible that Benning is trying to trade extra 'pieces' for more picks (e.g. Burrows, Higgins, Sbisa, etc.) and trying to decide who he would select if he obtains those picks. Consensus rankings suggest that if we keep our 5th pick, we take Dubois or Tkachuk.

Yes... precisely

6 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

The Canucks might be interested in Fabbro, but interviewing him at the combine is no indication that they have any special interest in Fabbro. My guess is they are just doing their due diligence, being thorough so they'll be well prepared for the draft because who knows what can happen.

They could be planning on getting Fabbro, but nothing here suggests that this is their intention. 

Sure it is... they have special interest in every player they interview. Do u think they interview every player? No chance.

They usually interview 20- 25 players, those of which they believe they can target in the draft. Which makes this an interesting one concidering he's nowhere near a pick they have. Hence the point of my topic. 

4 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Sure it is... they have special interest in every player they interview. Do u think they interview every player? No chance.

They usually interview 20- 25 players, those of which they believe they can target in the draft. Which makes this an interesting one concidering he's nowhere near a pick they have. Hence the point of my topic. 

Benning has said that they had been interviewing 12-15 guys a day since last Monday, and they did this through the week. So they've interviewed at least 60 players.

9 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

Benning has said that they had been interviewing 12-15 guys a day since last Monday, and they did this through the week. So they've interviewed at least 60 players.

Well that's way above the norm.  

Are you sure the interview side of things isn't just the first few days, testing etc to follow? 

12 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Well that's way above the norm.  

Are you sure the interview side of things isn't just the first few days, testing etc to follow? 

Yeah I think you're right. It looks like they were interviewing the kids Monday to Wednesday, with the testing on Thursday and Friday. Sorry looks like I was wrong, it seems like they actually interviewed around 40 to 45 players. 

1 hour ago, CHYCHRUN said:

The Canucks also interviewed Auston Mathews. So, by your logic, that means the Canucks are set to make a trade with Toronto.

You don't go there and only interview the couple guys you might actually get.

47 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Why is anyone listening to this guy? They spoke with Matthews as well... 

23 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

The Canucks also interviewed Auston Mathews. So, by your logic, that means the Canucks are set to make a trade with Toronto.

You don't go there and only interview the couple guys you might actually get.

I read that as well...Actually thought about a post too... concidering tkachuk is marner's winger and the 2 are sedin'ish together.  

Perhaps a trade if tkachuk is available at 5? Would be devastating for the 1st overall to be traded just after he's drafted but I wouldn't put it past JB and Shanahan.

2 hours ago, CHYCHRUN said:

"Reports" is a term used regularly in sports media, social media as well. I know you've been a long time attendant at the CDC but a little new blood, new wording used shouldn't be frowned upon.

And really, we don't need to post links in today's era do we or are u still on a dial up?

I don't see links to every Canuck news topic but it's incumbent of u to point blame. 

That said, I will add the links once I'm finishing my Molson.... or 2.

There are quite a few on CDC who don't always get everything right.  Not infrequently we'll see statements that go far beyond what any news report said or what a person actually said in quotes.  Some irresponsibly and then won't bother to post a source for their statement, even on request, usually with a statement saying something like it was widely reported.

Imo he who fails to provide a source, at least when requested to do so, is more likely than not to be incorrect.

Speed of internet access is brought up by you as a red herring.  It's completely irrelevant.   The time is taken in finding the source.  If it were otherwise and the time was negligible for anyone with a high speed connection, then why not provide a source to back up your statement?

Archived