The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORTS) Canucks interview Dante Fabbro early, at the combine.

CHYCHRUN

Yeah they interviewed Fabbro, but they also interviewed Dubois Mathews and Ronning along with 40  or so other players, not just only for the draft itself but to collect knowledge for potential trades in the future. It  also  gives Benning the best opportunity to add first hand personal  information to his file as they don't belong to any team, which is very difficult  to do later on.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Didn't MIke Gillis say they usually interview over 20 players at the combine?

nothing to see here, chances are we also interviewed Jake Bean, among others.

Move on guys, nothing to see here.

JB likely does many more. The source is saying though that they chose to do so early on, which is either an indication that others that they preferred to interview were not available, or that they are seriously considering a trade down...They have said repeatedly that all options are on the table and we have seen that this management thinks hometown boys have some sort of extra value...so who knows. I just pray we don't trade down, this is our highest pick since the Sedin's and we are starved for elite talent.

4 minutes ago, Robongo said:

JB likely does many more. The source is saying though that they chose to do so early on, which is either an indication that others that they preferred to interview were not available, or that they are seriously considering a trade down...They have said repeatedly that all options are on the table and we have seen that this management thinks hometown boys have some sort of extra value...so who knows. I just pray we don't trade down, this is our highest pick since the Sedin's and we are starved for elite talent.

JB did say in the video on Canucks twitter that they were spending extra time on the guys in the 6, 7, 8 spots that they were considering at 5.

Still doesn't put them in Fabbro range but does indicate they may be considering moving down a couple spots.

I hope not though. Being guaranteed one of Tkachuk or Dubois is a good place to be in.

15 minutes ago, tyhee said:

There are quite a few on CDC who don't always get everything right.  Not infrequently we'll see statements that go far beyond what any news report said or what a person actually said in quotes.  Some irresponsibly and then won't bother to post a source for their statement, even on request, usually with a statement saying something like it was widely reported.

Imo he who fails to provide a source, at least when requested to do so, is more likely than not to be incorrect.

Speed of internet access is brought up by you as a red herring.  It's completely irrelevant.   The time is taken in finding the source.  If it were otherwise and the time was negligible for anyone with a high speed connection, then why not provide a source to back up your statement?

I did provide 2 sources red herring.

When there is no rush and so many to interview, why would you make your preference so transparent by interviewing the players you REALLY want first?

I doubt Benning tips his hand that way.

As for the poster above trading away Brisebois - behave, he is just starting to show his potential.

13 hours ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Sure it is... they have special interest in every player they interview. Do u think they interview every player? No chance.

They usually interview 20- 25 players, those of which they believe they can target in the draft. Which makes this an interesting one concidering he's nowhere near a pick they have. Hence the point of my topic. 

Where do you acquire this information? JB is going to meet with as many players of interest as possible. Obviously those we could be drafting and also those who could come into play if deals are made, as you are suggesting. Moreover, I believe JB is grabbing intel on players whom he covets but can not likely obtain in the draft. He will file the info and keep those players on his radar moving forward. If and when opportunity comes knocking he knows the pieces he wants, or equally important, does not want. It is not just about the draft in my view of understanding JB`s modus operandi.

15 hours ago, Robongo said:

in the interview posted on the Canucks.com front page, Benning says they interviewed 12-15 guys PER DAY for the first 3 days. And they had more interviews later.  So they interviewed at least 40 players.

Benning has previously said that he likes to learn about lots of players and keep track of them over time. Even if the Canucks cannot pick them now they might become available in future. In fact, with respect to the Gudbranson trade, Benning emphasized that he was impressed by Gubranson when looking at him for the 2010 draft. Similar story with Baertschi.

So we should not read too much into the decision to interview any one particular player (like Fabbro).

That said, Benning has also said he is talking to the other GMs to find put what is available or needed to move up or down. A move may not be likely, but Benning is covering the bases.

What I would like to see, but what I think is unlikely, is trading current roster players to get picks this year. That is a rebuilding move that hurts the team in the short run for long run gain and Benning, unfortunately in my view, is focused on the short run and not paying enough attend to the long run rebuild.

Archived