Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Keys to be a Playoff Team Next Year


GettinGuddyWithIt

Recommended Posts

The title is pretty self explanatory and I think these are the 3 keys the Canucks will have to accomplish to compete in the playoffs.

 

1. They need the young guns to take the next step. Bo had a great year for the position he was put in and he will only improve being sheltered behind Sutter. Bæ started off slow and but progressed nicely throughout the latter half of the season. If he can take this season and improve on the areas he needs to I see a big year ahead. Hutton is just a gem and exceeded all our expectations. I love this guy (hence the profile pic) and he put up great numbers. I could see him taking an even bigger step alongside Guddy and taking more risks offensively thus putting up 40-45 points.

 

2. Less injuries. Sutter, Hamhuis and Edler were injured thus placing the rooks in a harder position. With a healthy Sutter, Edler and Hamhuis we would've likely made a wild card spot or at least battled for a position. If luck is on our side on the injuries, I see a real good year ahead.

 

3. Giving the Sedins a good winger via free agency. In the 2014/15 season we saw the Sedins revitalized playing along side Vrbata. If Thornton could produce at 36 years old so can the Sedins but they need a player that complements their style. I feel like Okposo/Brouwer or Erikkson will give the Sedins 70+ points on the season and carry some of the load offensively which we lacked this season.

 

These are my 3 keys but feel free to add anything else you think will help our team compete in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4. Hope great teams continue on their gradual path of regression.

 

*Hawks are cap strapped with Toews and Kane.

*Sharks might blow it up if they lose in 5 + old as fuark.

*Kings depth looks gross

 

5. Hope the bad teams stay bad.

*Edmonton still has a year or two of growing pains while the new management cleans up the mess.

*Toronto is a wild card with Nylander, Matthews and UFA's all in the fold.

*I think the Canes and Ottawa finish below us next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hellz yea, but one guy who is the wildcard is Bearschi, after seeing his puckskills and strength on the puck, he is the one player whom I expect a big jump from last year. After Horvat, he is the one player who shows he can be a gamebreaker for our team. I sure hope Willie keeps him in the top 6 and lets him work the half wall on the PP.  

 

Great post for a new poster! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

The title is pretty self explanatory and I think these are the 3 keys the Canucks will have to accomplish to compete in the playoffs.

 

1. They need the young guns to take the next step. Bo had a great year for the position he was put in and he will only improve being sheltered behind Sutter. Bæ started off slow and but progressed nicely throughout the latter half of the season. If he can take this season and improve on the areas he needs to I see a big year ahead. Hutton is just a gem and exceeded all our expectations. I love this guy (hence the profile pic) and he put up great numbers. I could see him taking an even bigger step alongside Guddy and taking more risks offensively thus putting up 40-45 points.

 

2. Less injuries. Sutter, Hamhuis and Edler were injured thus placing the rooks in a harder position. With a healthy Sutter, Edler and Hamhuis we would've likely made a wild card spot or at least battled for a position. If luck is on our side on the injuries, I see a real good year ahead.

 

3. Giving the Sedins a good winger via free agency. In the 2014/15 season we saw the Sedins revitalized playing along side Vrbata. If Thornton could produce at 36 years old so can the Sedins but they need a player that complements their style. I feel like Okposo/Brouwer or Erikkson will give the Sedins 70+ points on the season and carry some of the load offensively which we lacked this season.

 

These are my 3 keys but feel free to add anything else you think will help our team compete in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

 

Willie Desjardins - Real good

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meh, I'd rather see the Canucks flounder for a couple more years and stockpile some good picks, which would hopefully turn into great prospects. Not much point in icing a team with no real stars and emptying the tank just to get into the playoffs. Chances are they'd get snuffed out pretty quickly, and then what? No, just do the slow rebuild with homegrown talent and with any luck maybe we'll have a team like Chicago who can actually win a cup and are considered as contenders every year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Meh, I'd rather see the Canucks flounder for a couple more years and stockpile some good picks, which would hopefully turn into great prospects. Not much point in icing a team with no real stars and emptying the tank just to get into the playoffs. Chances are they'd get snuffed out pretty quickly, and then what? No, just do the slow rebuild with homegrown talent and with any luck maybe we'll have a team like Chicago who can actually win a cup and are considered as contenders every year.

So far Benning seems like he can get good/great picks in the late first round. That being the case, if we can make the playoffs each year and still build a competitive team, I say we do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only other big key is figuring out what the heck to do with a few contracts that don't necessarily fit anymore.

Burrows & Higgins are the obvious two. But I'd add Sbisa & Dorsett to that list as well.

Do Canucks need a 3.6 million dollar #5/6 defenseman when they also have Tryamkin, Larsen, and Pedan already vying for those same spots?

If the Canucks land a Lucic, Brouwer, or Okposo, do they really need Dorsett playing tough guy on the 4th line?

Don't forget the two of those guys together add up to like 6.3 million. There's enough cap for an extra free agent.

So hypothetical team time:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson 

Lucic-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Etem-Granlund-Virtanen

Gaunce extra

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan-Biega extra

Miller

Markstrom

 

That's a team that's still about 3 million under cap (assuming Burrows and Higgins are bought out and not traded).

Looks like a playoff team to me too. Get on it Benning!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The key for any successful team in the playoffs is secondary scoring.  The team's stars can't do it themselves.  When they get shut down, the 'lesser lights' have to chip in.  The Penguins and Sharks are evidence of this.  They're getting scoring from throughout the lineup.  The top line players are not the top goal-getters.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/pittsburgh-penguins/statistics

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/san-jose-sharks/statistics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

The title is pretty self explanatory and I think these are the 3 keys the Canucks will have to accomplish to compete in the playoffs.

 

1. They need the young guns to take the next step. Bo had a great year for the position he was put in and he will only improve being sheltered behind Sutter. Bæ started off slow and but progressed nicely throughout the latter half of the season. If he can take this season and improve on the areas he needs to I see a big year ahead. Hutton is just a gem and exceeded all our expectations. I love this guy (hence the profile pic) and he put up great numbers. I could see him taking an even bigger step alongside Guddy and taking more risks offensively thus putting up 40-45 points.

 

2. Less injuries. Sutter, Hamhuis and Edler were injured thus placing the rooks in a harder position. With a healthy Sutter, Edler and Hamhuis we would've likely made a wild card spot or at least battled for a position. If luck is on our side on the injuries, I see a real good year ahead.

 

3. Giving the Sedins a good winger via free agency. In the 2014/15 season we saw the Sedins revitalized playing along side Vrbata. If Thornton could produce at 36 years old so can the Sedins but they need a player that complements their style. I feel like Okposo/Brouwer or Erikkson will give the Sedins 70+ points on the season and carry some of the load offensively which we lacked this season.

 

These are my 3 keys but feel free to add anything else you think will help our team compete in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

 

 

I agree with most of what you say except I actually think Thornton has been a weak spot on the Sharks. He just doesn't look fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

Meh, I'd rather see the Canucks flounder for a couple more years and stockpile some good picks, which would hopefully turn into great prospects. Not much point in icing a team with no real stars and emptying the tank just to get into the playoffs. Chances are they'd get snuffed out pretty quickly, and then what? No, just do the slow rebuild with homegrown talent and with any luck maybe we'll have a team like Chicago who can actually win a cup and are considered as contenders every year.

I hate reading cr-p like this.

 

It totally misses out on the fact that we don't have a fanbase with the required patience to accept a "tank" and we have a media/press that would have a field day slaughtering WD, JB and TL. 

 

These guys have pride and a belief in their abilities and reputation but you want them to cut the legs from the team and accept the sack just on the off chance things might get better for their successors, if we "tank"

 

That is an immature and short sighted way to look at running a hockey club.

Maybe you should experience someone taking some of your tools away while you are trying to do a job and then just accept being fired because you couldn't accomplish anything. Tell me how that works for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I hate reading cr-p like this.

 

It totally misses out on the fact that we don't have a fanbase with the required patience to accept a "tank" and we have a media/press that would have a field day slaughtering WD, JB and TL. 

 

These guys have pride and a belief in their abilities and reputation but you want them to cut the legs from the team and accept the sack just on the off chance things might get better for their successors, if we "tank"

 

That is an immature and short sighted way to look at running a hockey club.

Maybe you should experience someone taking some of your tools away while you are trying to do a job and then just accept being fired because you couldn't accomplish anything. Tell me how that works for you.

I wasn't necessarily saying "tank". More what I'm hoping for is that JB and company dont go the route of cobbling together a team with high-priced free agents and trading away picks and prospects to get good but not great players in an attempt to just make the playoffs. We'll most likely never win a cup that way and more likely become what Detroit is now, a team that always gets in but isn't a threat to win anything. Haven't we seen enough of that over the years with this team? We need some serious star power and selling the farm to get Stamkos or whoever isn't the way to go. Just one guy's opinion though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

I wasn't necessarily saying "tank". More what I'm hoping for is that JB and company dont go the route of cobbling together a team with high-priced free agents and trading away picks and prospects to get good but not great players in an attempt to just make the playoffs. We'll most likely never win a cup that way and more likely become what Detroit is now, a team that always gets in but isn't a threat to win anything. Haven't we seen enough of that over the years with this team? We need some serious star power and selling the farm to get Stamkos or whoever isn't the way to go. Just one guy's opinion though.

I'm not sure how anyone can predict how it would go whichever way we choose. There are so many variables.

For example, most of us accept we have the makings of a good D - maybe a PMD short but who knows one of Larsen, Stecher, Subban may fill that spot or maybe a FA.

 

Then we have the forwards. Sutter will be like a new player, Horvat, Baertschi, Etem, Granlund will all hopefully be better for last year's experience and youngsters like Gaunce, Virtanen will be stronger and more confident. We have a red hot Hansen who might make an excellent 4th line with Dorsett and Gaunce/Granlund.

If we add a couple of good wingers like Bouwer and xxxx to help spread the load, then we could expect the twins to be revitalised.

If we get Dubois or Tkachuk then there is a strong chance they will come into the team maybe around Christmas.

 

That to me could quite easily lead to being a contender given our top notch net minding. Yet you have predicted that it is short term and see no merit in it while advocating the lottery route of picks and more picks and  - let's keep our fingers crossed it all amounts to something 5-10 years down the road.

 

Meanwhile the team stagnates, the fans wither on the vine and the owners get twitchy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Biggest key to the Canucks going anywhere next year is injuries. Key injuries to any of our top 6 for any length of time will be just like last year, we have no scoring depth in the minor's. The Canucks are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You forgot to mention secondary scoring, 2011 Canucks had fantastic secondary scoring and so do most of the top teams.  We basically have none now so I'm hoping somebody like Brouwer, Boeser, some free agent winger will helpt hat out since we're pretty set on defense for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not sure how anyone can predict how it would go whichever way we choose. There are so many variables.

For example, most of us accept we have the makings of a good D - maybe a PMD short but who knows one of Larsen, Stecher, Subban may fill that spot or maybe a FA.

 

Then we have the forwards. Sutter will be like a new player, Horvat, Baertschi, Etem, Granlund will all hopefully be better for last year's experience and youngsters like Gaunce, Virtanen will be stronger and more confident. We have a red hot Hansen who might make an excellent 4th line with Dorsett and Gaunce/Granlund.

If we add a couple of good wingers like Bouwer and xxxx to help spread the load, then we could expect the twins to be revitalised.

If we get Dubois or Tkachuk then there is a strong chance they will come into the team maybe around Christmas.

 

That to me could quite easily lead to being a contender given our top notch net minding. Yet you have predicted that it is short term and see no merit in it while advocating the lottery route of picks and more picks and  - let's keep our fingers crossed it all amounts to something 5-10 years down the road.

 

Meanwhile the team stagnates, the fans wither on the vine and the owners get twitchy.

Yes our defence looks alright, very defensive, so yes I think it's safe to say we need an offensive PMD. Maybe Hutton could become that guy or one of the guys you mentioned but I wouldn't count on it. The defence needs to score more than the 23 combined goals they did this past season, I think we can agree on that.

 

The forwards do look good but definitely unspectacular. Horvat's probably going to get even better but everyone else is a question mark. Maybe our 5th pick will turn out to be a star but if he doesn't then we're going to rely on a trade or a free agent signing of a "good" player or two to turn the 36 year old Sedins into premier first-line players again? That's hopeful but who knows.

 

Our netminding again is good but "top-notch" is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion. They should post better numbers this coming year with our extra defensive defence. Once Miller is gone and if Demko becomes what we all hope he will be, then we should have championship level players in net. As it stands right now however it looks like the Canucks could be a playoff contender but not a cup contender. Right now this team has a real lack of star power and inexpensive young stars are usually necessary to challenge for a cup. How do we get them? The draft. How do teams usually draft them? By not caving into pressure from fans to pull out all the stops and ice an average or good team that's right against the cap and might be able to get into the playoffs and win one or two rounds at best. Without really good luck at drafting mid to late every year would just leave the Canucks in perpetual mediocrity.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

We may indeed squeak into the playoffs due to the weak division but it would only be as a speedbump to a real contender.

 

Rebuilding takes time and we haven't really started yet. 

Horvat

Baertschi

Virtanen

Hutton

Tryamkin

Granlund

Gaunce

Gudbranson

Etem

Sutter

Boeser

Demko

Markstrom

 

Didn't start yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...