The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

We will learn a lot about the Comets and Demko tonight.  The streaking Comets are at Lehigh Valley tonight looking to extend a six-game streak behind some solid goaltending by Demko and a solid defensive team effort every night,  Keeping an opponent from getting itself in scoring position does wonders.  Can they keep up that mistake free defensive play, we will see tonight.  The last time out against Lehigh Valley was not pretty and Demko was beaten high and often.  The Phantoms made a point of going top shelf and succeeded.  Since then he's been solid, but quite frankly the shots are to his midsection on down. His real strength is with his pads while sprawling.  Is his recent success because he's cutting the angles better and leaving no holes up top? The lone goal last night was up top and hopefully a fluke. We'll know better after tonight, unless Garteig starts. Travis Green has this team playing really well right now and he's going to make some NHL team happy.  He's a solid coach.   If he's not with the Canucks, I think he'd do well with the Knights.  

55 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So with both Grenier and Labate called up, who cycles in?

I believe Marco Roy and Laplante would fill in for them unless they have someone else. Maybe the player they acquired just last week in the trade deadline in Emerson Clark  may slot into the lineup also. Either way, I think they'll be fine for tonight vs LV

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

I believe Marco Roy and Laplante would fill in for them unless they have someone else. Maybe the player they acquired just last week in the trade deadline in Emerson Clark  may slot into the lineup also. Either way, I think they'll be fine for tonight vs LV

Laplante is still with Alaska. 

The Comets are about to be underway vs Lehigh Valley. Demko gets a rest tonight with Garteig stepping in to make the start. Pedan slots in for Shields, and Clark will make his debut for Utica tonight. Alex Lyon is in goal for the Phantoms.

Archibald-Zalewski-Roy

Kunyk-Valk-Virtanen

Carcone-Pelletier-Rendulic

Bancks-Cassels-Clark

Billins-Robak

McEneny-Subban

Sautner-Pedan

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

How's Pedan been for Utica? 

In this game? Too early to say. On the season, he hasn't made much progression from last year. He's still a menace physically and a fantastic skater but is mistake prone - he reminds me of Sbisa with more skill, sometimes he makes those bad plays that just make you cringe. He's tougher and more mobile than Sbisa but I think he's getting lost in the shuffle a little as guys like McEneny pass him.

The Comets are on a 4 minute PK now as Archibald gets dinged for hooking and an unsportsmanlike.

3 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

In this game? Too early to say. On the season, he hasn't made much progression from last year. He's still a menace physically and a fantastic skater but is mistake prone - he reminds me of Sbisa with more skill, sometimes he makes those bad plays that just make you cringe. He's tougher and more mobile than Sbisa but I think he's getting lost in the shuffle a little as guys like McEneny pass him.

The Comets are on a 4 minute PK now as Archibald gets dinged for hooking and an unsportsmanlike.

I'm hoping he can become an Adam McQuaid type player. Would be a good bottom-pairing d-man for us. We could certainly use his physicality and his mobility in the future. Not a lot of big players can skate as fast as Pedan and he's 6'5 215lbs.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm hoping he can become an Adam McQuaid type player. Would be a good bottom-pairing d-man for us. We could certainly use his physicality and his mobility in the future. Not a lot of players can skate as fast as Pedan and he's 6'5 215lbs.

Yeah I think he still has potential, its unfortunate the Canucks just let him sit in the press box while he was here earlier in the year. And then by the time the mumps rolled around he wasn't considered for a call-up because he would've had to clear waivers again on the way back down. If Sbisa gets claimed in the expansion draft maybe there's an opening for him in camp next year.

11 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yeah I think he still has potential, its unfortunate the Canucks just let him sit in the press box while he was here earlier in the year. And then by the time the mumps rolled around he wasn't considered for a call-up because he would've had to clear waivers again on the way back down. If Sbisa gets claimed in the expansion draft maybe there's an opening for him in camp next year.

I'm quite confident Sbisa will not remain a Canuck. He's been pretty good for us for the last 2 seasons. 

I wouldn't mind Pedan taking his spot next year.

20 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

2-0 Phantoms. TJ Brennan rips a wrist shot from the right circle past Garteig high glove side on the second half of the double minor.

You are quickly becoming one of my favs.    Thx for all the updates bud!!!

2-0 Phantoms at the end of the first, shots are 18-9 for Utica. The Comets have been all over Lehigh Valley 5-on-5 but Alex Lyon has been very impressive. He robbed Valk on the doorstep by just getting his left pad on the shot after Virtanen sent a nice pass from behind the net. Rendulic also had a wrist shot from the slot that Lyon just got a piece of, and then managed to cover it as it was trickling towards the line. Can't fault Garteig on the first goal at all which was a bang-bang play, but the second one was a clear look by Brennan who took a moment to settle the puck before wristing it top corner. It was a perfectly placed shot so I give Brennan credit for that but with no screen in front and time to get square, its one you'd hope Garteig would at least get a piece of.

Just now, stonecoldstevebernier said:

3-0 Phantoms, as Miele wraps a pass around to the front of the net for Aube-Kubel who one times it home. The shots are something like 25-12 Comets now and they've dominated the run of play but this just isn't looking like their night.

Garteig in goal looking okay?  (I'm not watching this one)

Archived