The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Stanley Cup Series In The Past 5 Years

Bur14Kes17

Which was the best Stanely Cup Series in the past 5 years?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every NHL playoff series has its own flavour. Some you can feel stronger then others. There are some playoffs series where the animosity and hate for one another is strong on the ice, that even sitting at home you can almost taste the blood that has been spilled on the ice. The kind that grip you into you seat and leave your beer to warm untouched beside you. The series doesn't even have to be for the cup in order to draw you in. Pittsburg against Philly, Montreal against the Senators, Hawks versus Kings, Canucks and Bruins, or Blackhawks and Bruins for example, are some of the most compelling series in my recent memory. 

Then there are the other kind of playoff series. The ones that leave you grasping at something more. Almost as though your team may have lost, even if the scoreboard says differently. Currently the San Jose Pittsburg series is teetering on beginning to feel this way. The entire 82 game NHL season has led up to this one 7 game series in which the Penguins have all but dominated every moment of each game in a stifling if not soccer like shut down performance. Can you remember a single hit from this series? How about an iconic goal? Perhaps the OT goal in game 1 did that for you. Have you felt the hate on the ice? *crickets* .. The worst Stanley Cup series i think I've ever watched was the 6 game series between the LA Kings and NJ Devils. Two teams who all but shut each other down and blocked almost every shot that was taken. If you're a fan of the Kings, no doubt you're elated you won the cup, but that's your only saving grace. 

After five years now and witnessing a few more Stanley Cup series, I look back at the Canucks and Bruins series and think, my god what a series that was. It's still the only Cup Final series to go 7 games in the past 7 years and the one to warm the idle beers of the entire hockey world. It's always going to sting to remember the final outcome, but I find now I begin to appreciate even more the team we had in 2011 and that series. The controversy, war of words, on ice hate, and momentum swings never quit. If I had to pick a runner up, I'd pick the Blackshawks and Bruins. I don't think I'll forget soon how Patrice Bergeron played with a punctured lung.

Five years later, I now look back and appreciate the 2011 Canucks. The Sedins may have been too soft back then, but they were like watching the Harlem Globe Trotters with the puck and Luongo was a force while at home. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to witness something like that again.

10 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

The Sedins may have been too soft back then, but they were like watching the Harlem Globe Trotters with the puck and Luongo was a force while at home. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to witness something like that again.

The Sedins couldn't do enough with the puck... like score. Much like the way the Sharks are losing, best players aren't producing.

2011 was good even if we lost but 2012 kings was my favorite. They were such a massive underdog playing every game like their life depended on it. Devils were a team that finally managed to make the finals and you could tell the whole team was playing for Brodeur.

Some games weren't super exciting but I found that series very interesting looking back at it.

I can't remember the other 3 to well.

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Kings/Devils lol, worst display of hockey in ages.

That is the only time when I did not tune into watch a SCF. Boring as it gets.

I gotta say this series Sharks vs Penguins is quite good. Lots of speed. It's good to see the skill and speed make a comeback. 

It's no secret that having a strong depth and rolling all four lines is the way to go in the current NHL. Having Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel as your third line and using Crosby to nullify the Sharks top line is a luxury that no team can afford.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

It's no secret that having a strong depth and rolling all four lines is the way to go in the current NHL. Having Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel as your third line and using Crosby to nullify the Sharks top line is a luxury that no team can afford.

Yeah, how does that work? Aren't the Pens like $2.5M over the cap?

The 2011 finals were a hurricane of drama, ill will and a bunch of other things. The end result was devastating but it was a good final.

2014 was my preferred final though, god damn was it ever nice to see the Rangers heartbroken. It was some pretty stellar hockey too.

maybe im bias, but the 2011 series is still the best to for me. the drama/suspensions the hatred and conflicting styles of play. 

the Boston Ruins won the war of attrition and favourable reffing from game 3 on. the lineup we iced in game 7 was just a shell of the team that dominated the league. 

yep im still bitter :( 

Gotta be honest, I don't remember much about 4/5 of those series. 2011 was heart-breaking. The Canucks were decimated by injuries, had no push back and it was painful to watch at times. I do have to say though, this year I'm really enjoying seeing the Sharks get whooped.

Last year's was pretty fun, but nothing compared to 2011. Vancouver and Boston just HATED each other. No Cup finals has had that same intense passion since. 2012 was the worst cup finals of all time. What a joke it was. Most boring series in history, I could not bring myself to watch it. 

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

maybe im bias, but the 2011 series is still the best to for me. the drama/suspensions the hatred and conflicting styles of play. 

the Boston Ruins won the war of attrition and favourable reffing from game 3 on. the lineup we iced in game 7 was just a shell of the team that dominated the league. 

yep im still bitter :( 

You're not alone... :angry:

Archived