The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van - Ari

To Arizona:

2016 3rd round, Burrows, 1 million retained

To Vancouver:

One of Arizona's 2016 2nd's

Why does Vancouver do this? Buying out Burrows would still be a 2 million cap hit this season, plus 1 million next season. We'd essentially remove approximately 75% of his cap hit in a year when I think there will be some good bargains on the free agent market and the trade market. We also move back up into the 2nd round again and in reasonable position. Assuming the cap stays at 71.4 million, it would give us 13 to spend and that's not including doing something with Higgins.

Why does Arizona do this? They will be moving next summer and although I think they will ultimately wind up in downtown Phoenix, that is far from guaranteed. That fact is going to make it much more difficult to sell tickets to games and because of all the uncertainty around where they will be playing after next year, it will be hard to attract the better free agents this summer. They are a team that is going to lose money this year because of the uncertainty and probably won't want to spend more than to the cap floor. This would give them a versatile winger for 1 year, no long term commitment and a 3.5 million cap hit (with retained), for just a 2 million salary payout. I think dropping back 1 round on one of their 2 picks to get some financial relief for a season would probably be worth it to them.

I think this would help both teams!

Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

If Benning pulls this off, he gets a gold star on his forehead!

I think once we get to draft weekend, there will be a real flurry of moves. I could see this type of move happening. I think Arizona is going to be a really good chance of getting the first overall next season unless their team seriously over performs. 

Not that I wouldn't do this in a heartbeat, but Burrows waives his Full No Trade Clause to go to a team in a complete state of uncertainty (and not much better on the ice than Vancouver) exactly why? 

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Arizona:

2016 3rd round, Burrows, 1 million retained

To Vancouver:

One of Arizona's 2016 2nd's

Why does Vancouver do this? Buying out Burrows would still be a 2 million cap hit this season, plus 1 million next season. We'd essentially remove approximately 75% of his cap hit in a year when I think there will be some good bargains on the free agent market and the trade market. We also move back up into the 2nd round again and in reasonable position. Assuming the cap stays at 71.4 million, it would give us 13 to spend and that's not including doing something with Higgins.

Why does Arizona do this? They will be moving next summer and although I think they will ultimately wind up in downtown Phoenix, that is far from guaranteed. That fact is going to make it much more difficult to sell tickets to games and because of all the uncertainty around where they will be playing after next year, it will be hard to attract the better free agents this summer. They are a team that is going to lose money this year because of the uncertainty and probably won't want to spend more than to the cap floor. This would give them a versatile winger for 1 year, no long term commitment and a 3.5 million cap hit (with retained), for just a 2 million salary payout. I think dropping back 1 round on one of their 2 picks to get some financial relief for a season would probably be worth it to them.

I think this would help both teams!

Thoughts?

I have a far more realistic thought. Burrows gets bought out. Done...end of story.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I have a far more realistic thought. Burrows gets bought out. Done...end of story.

Yes, that's an option, but we then carry a 2 million cap it this year and 1 million next year. My solution gets him off the books after this year and gives us immediate space.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Yes, that's an option, but we then carry a 2 million cap it this year and 1 million next year. My solution gets him off the books after this year and gives us immediate space.

I love your solution.  I would love if a team would take Burrows and his contract.  It's not going to happen though.  I wish it would:(

Just now, goblix said:

think we just hold on to Burrows...

do we really need 4,5m in cap space for next year?

Maybe we do if we are going after Stamkos otherwise I don't think so

I'm okay with holding onto him if there's not significant upgrades. I think there might be some really good upgrades though, so yes if we can, I'd find a way to free it up!

Archived