The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen MUST be traded this summer and here's why

CHYCHRUN

If he is part of a package for a trade to get a better player, then fly at er... otherwise no.

If the trade for Gudbranson hasn't shown folks for once and for all that the management intends to continue fighting for playoff spots every year (alongside the dozen or so other moves which show they are doing exactly what they say they are doing), I don't know what will.

At this point if you are still suggesting we will be liquidating roster players for picks and a full rebuild... then you must be the type to enjoy peeing into the wind.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

If he is part of a package for a trade to get a better player, then fly at er... otherwise no.

If the trade for Gudbranson hasn't shown folks for once and for all that the management intends to continue fighting for playoff spots every year (alongside the dozen or so other moves which show they are doing exactly what they say they are doing), I don't know what will.

At this point if you are still suggesting we will be liquidating roster players for picks and a full rebuild... then you must be the type to enjoy peeing into the wind.

It's about asset management. Sign a free agent to replace him... with a better scoring prowess cuz we have cap space..  Trade Hansen for a pick, hence the future

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is true but it just makes so much sense. With Troy Brouwers comments about liking the idea of playing for his hometown Canucks management should look at Brouwer + 1rst round pick > Hansen in both short and long term.

Just now, CHYCHRUN said:

It's about asset management. Sign a free agent to replace him... with a better scoring prowess cuz we have cap space..  Trade Hansen for a pick, hence the future

It is almost certain that you won't get a player with the same output at the same cap hit.  You add players through free agency, you don't swap out cheaper players for more expensive ones as a recipe for success.

Now is the part of the season where teams dramatically overvaluing draft picks, they are loathe to give them away.  If you want to trade away vets, do it at the deadline when teams are sniffing at the playoffs, they give away picks like candy at that time of year.

Even if we could get a 2nd round pick, trading away Hansen for a guy who in 4-5 years has a 10-15% chance of ever suiting up as an NHLer seems a little silly for a team with a CLEARLY STATED GOAL OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

48 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hansen is the perfect transitional player to play alongside our younger players as they transition into the new core. Inflated stats aside, he still brings a lot to the table. He's the type of player you hold onto unless a GM is willing to pay out of their ass to land him.

Big fat NO to that.

Big fat YES from me. TRADE HIM!!!! 

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hansen is the perfect transitional player to play alongside our younger players as they transition into the new core. Inflated stats aside, he still brings a lot to the table. He's the type of player you hold onto unless a GM is willing to pay out of their ass to land him.

Big fat NO to that.

I agree.  I would only consider trading Hansen if we were could get a mid to high 2nd round pick or better.  Anything less would be a waste for a player who will be a mentor for the next couple of years.  Another thing, the league is getting faster a la Pittsburgh and Hansen has speed to burn.  He is our fastest forward.

29 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is almost certain that you won't get a player with the same output at the same cap hit.  You add players through free agency, you don't swap out cheaper players for more expensive ones as a recipe for success.

Now is the part of the season where teams dramatically overvaluing draft picks, they are loathe to give them away.  If you want to trade away vets, do it at the deadline when teams are sniffing at the playoffs, they give away picks like candy at that time of year.

Even if we could get a 2nd round pick, trading away Hansen for a guy who in 4-5 years has a 10-15% chance of ever suiting up as an NHLer seems a little silly for a team with a CLEARLY STATED GOAL OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

1) Like I said, Canucks r far from contending and by the time they r ready too, Hansen will be on a new "overpaid" deal.

2)Good teams will give a late 1st for Hansen. No question.

3)The next deadline will be too freaking late. Wait and see, he'll fetch a 3rd at best

Unless a team is willing to (in JB's words) "knock my socks off", I'm a huge no.

It's not just a matter of asset management, it's about being competitive, and Hansen gives JB / WD lots of flexibility. He can fill a top line roll with the twins, can play bottom six very well, is a stellar penalty killer and a good role model for the youngins, plus he comes cheap. 

Higgins needs to retire, Burr (though I love him) is horribly overpaid for the role he will be playing. If you want cap relief and roster space for FA's, there's the targets.

trade a guy that was drafted 9th round, 287 oa ,and has scratched and clawed his way to where he is now ,NO. if any one of our current players , prospects , say drafted from the 5th round or lower, and thats being generous can do what this guy has done then you keep him! , thats not even factoring in his loyalty, leadership, and hard effort !.  from any one of our young players individual perspective these facts either motivate you or scare the hell out of you, i'd like to think that there isn't a young player in this organization that doesn't look up to hansen with nothing but respect , his worth to this team for the next 3,4 years is far more valuable than waiting 3,4 years for a 2nd round pick that may or may not be any good. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU GET WITH HIM IN OUR LINE UP !!!!!

Just now, luckylager said:

Unless a team is willing to (in JB's words) "knock my socks off", I'm a huge no.

It's not just a matter of asset management, it's about being competitive, and Hansen gives JB / WD lots of flexibility. He can fill a top line roll with the twins, can play bottom six very well, is a stellar penalty killer and a good role model for the youngins, plus he comes cheap. 

Higgins needs to retire, Burr (though I love him) is horribly overpaid for the role he will be playing. If you want cap relief and roster space for FA's, there's the targets.

A mod should pin this to the front page of the thread.

4 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

1) Like I said, Canucks r far from contending and by the time they r ready too, Hansen will be on a new "overpayed" deal.

2)Good teams will give a late 1st for Hansen. No question.

3)The next deadline will be too freaking late. Wait and see, he'll fetch a 3rd at best

1 Management disagrees and it's "overpaid" not "overpayed".
2 What teams are these offering late first for Hansen?
3 So they'll apparently offer a late first now but when Hansen becomes more valuable at the trade deadline they'll only offer a 3rd?  Yeah that makes sense...

9 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Big fat YES from me. TRADE HIM!!!! 

So.. we trade/dump players for picks.. As a season ticket holder, What makes me pay the thousands of dollars to watch a $&!# team? Ahl players and old vets on $&!# contracts?.  No one is going to pay more for Hasen than he is worth to us.

I have a feeling that JB will trade him for a 3rd rounder and CDC will explode.  Then he will draft the next superstar at pick #69;)

No seriously.... he is a useful vet on a good contract that we should keep unless we get an offer for him JB can't refuse.  Any Canuck could be traded if JB gets the right offer, but I don't think the Canucks will receive an offer on Hansen that exceeds his usefulness to the Canucks. 

2 minutes ago, 16ToWin said:

So.. we trade/dump players for picks.. As a season ticket holder, What makes me pay the thousands of dollars to watch a $&!# team? Ahl players and old vets on $&!# contracts?.  No one is going to pay more for Hasen than he is worth to us.

I dont know why your a season ticket holder at this time of year? Save your money on something better. 

Someone might pay a decent price at TDL. I dont know. Nobody knows 

Hansen's numbers aren't "inflated".

Virtually all his production was 5 on 5, and his rate of production with the Sedins was no better than it was without.

If this team added a high end free agent, most of them would wind up on the 2nd line - the only FAs that would wind up on our 1st line would be the 1RW - like Okposo.

The others are primarily left handed shots, left wings, or not necessarily and upgrade (imo Brouwer would be on Sutter's line, Lucic would as well...).

If this team added a guy like Okposo, Hansen playing in the middle six simply makes this team that much better.

This argument might make more sense in the near future when Virtanen and Boeser are forcing their way into the lineup - but at this point it's premature - and the idea of dumping players for picks is a tanking mentality that this team does not share.

This team has no desperate need to add a late pick to the prospect pool - and regardless, Hansen isn't the asset to use to accomplish that.

Also, some of you don't seem to realize that Hansen's value is not "at an all-time high".  You're fooling yourselves.  Hansen's production has been high relative to his ice-time and situational use for years and years.  He produced at a higher rate in 2012/13 than he did last year.  He's been a solid and consistent producer for years.

Honey Badger aint the yard-sale flavour of the week.

49 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

We need to move Hansen , Burrows, Miller and Edler 

No one wants Burrows. His cap hit plus the fact that he's no longer much good is why. I like the guy a lot, but if we're going to drop him he'll have to be bought out.

13 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

1 Management disagrees and it's "overpaid" not "overpayed".
2 What teams are these offering late first for Hansen?
3 So they'll apparently offer a late first now but when Hansen becomes more valuable at the trade deadline they'll only offer a 3rd?  Yeah that makes sense...

1 True

2 easy... teams that can't afford to chase UFA'S cuz no cap space. Teams that are chasing a Stanley Cup. 

Archived