The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen MUST be traded this summer and here's why

CHYCHRUN

3 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

That's nice. He's been a great story. His making the NHL was a story when? He's now a valuable vet that can be parlayed into something decent,for a player better than he was projected to be. If he's a player you're using to get a higher pick,move on it. While walking away JB could be content with this final play with Hansen. 

The Sedins will miss his speed getting on the puck first, but that can be replaced.

Or we can do like what we did with Vrbata?  Play Hansen on the third line, and kill his value.  Shouldn't a rebuilding team be trying to raise up the value of the older vets, and then move them for younger assets with higher ceilings?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or we can do like what we did with Vrbata?  Play Hansen on the third line, and kill his value.  Shouldn't a rebuilding team be trying to raise up the value of the older vets, and then move them for younger assets with higher ceilings?  

I was hoping that I was conveying that. 

The last year with Vrbata was a disaster from both sides. He didn't do himself any favours and arguably nor did WD do Vrbata any favours by not playing him with the twins other than a PP. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

hansen can play on any of the 4 lines......effectively without any risk of his value dropping!  as for losing him for nothing , won't happen, there're teams that would love to have him and his contract , right now that team is the canucks ,don't think for a minute that he, hansen doesn't know he's deserving of a contract renewal , the one team in the league that knows this best is the canucks,  he'll be rewarded with a new contract and deservedly so!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes... but unfortunately the ownership thinks they can flip this team into a playoff team. No rebuild here.

I'm with u on this one.. Hansen is our best trading option and could yield us the most value but it's probably not going to happen. We'll get a 3rd rounder for him at the deadline if we can find a team that doesn't have 7 keepers locked for expansion. Fat chance of that happening

Canucks need to make a decision

Do we aim for  7-10 th place next year or do we move a few pieces and reload for a playoff run in 3-4 years.

Trade Miller, Hansen and Edler for young players in the  19-23 year window. Or picks. 

Canucks are right now trying to play it both ways and will  end up with years of being mediocre .     Canuck fans want one thing but ownership insists on  one and done playoff seasons.....

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks need to make a decision

Do we aim for  7-10 th place next year or do we move a few pieces and reload for a playoff run in 3-4 years.

Trade Miller, Hansen and Edler for young players in the  19-23 year window. Or picks. 

Canucks are right now trying to play it both ways and will  end up with years of being mediocre .     Canuck fans want one thing but ownership insists on  one and done playoff seasons.....

I just can't see Benning trading those guys until he's sure guys like Demko, Virtanen, Etem, Hutton and hopefully Stetcher are ready to play a bigger role on the team. As we saw with Horvat this season, being relied upon to play well defensively and put up points is a tremendous amount of pressure. Even prospects drafted in the top 3 struggle to do so.

29 minutes ago, RyIe said:

I just can't see Benning trading those guys until he's sure guys like Demko, Virtanen, Etem, Hutton and hopefully Stetcher are ready to play a bigger role on the team. As we saw with Horvat this season, being relied upon to play well defensively and put up points is a tremendous amount of pressure. Even prospects drafted in the top 3 struggle to do so.

I see your point.

I just think we need to commit to a cohort ( age group ) in our club and try to build a large core of players in this age grouping. This may get us our cup.  Add a few vets as UFA's to this core group of  23-26 year olds  and whammo  we get our cup.

Build a club with 10-12 players in the same window ( age ) as Bo.  Bring this core group up and adding players that fit this age group.......  Trading players that are too old to contribute when this group starts to dominate in  2-3 years. 

Thats how i envision we get our cup. 

10 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

And you sir should take your childish comment and stuff it inside the glove box of your van, down down by the river.

We may disagree on managements record , current strategy and way forward but   we all really just want the same thing. STANLEY CUP.  No point in personal insults.  We are all on the same team. 

When it comes to age groups I think Pat Quinn explained it best. You want to form groups of age roster players. "X" in the 20-24 group "Y" is the 24-28 age group and then vets after that. Your aim is to have continuality within your roster NOT highs and lows like a sine graph or simply put like a toilet seat up and down up and down. A team should be looking further forward than winning the first game of the season. You want steady success season after season

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

When it comes to age groups I think Pat Quinn explained it best. You want to form groups of age roster players. "X" in the 20-24 group "Y" is the 24-28 age group and then vets after that. Your aim is to have continuality within your roster NOT highs and lows like a sine graph or simply put like a toilet seat up and down up and down. A team should be looking further forward than winning the first game of the season. You want steady success season after season

Great post.  Makes alot of sense.

Seems like our 2011 team really did not have enough younger players on it to allow any kind of transition.  Great team at the time but not assembled properly in terms of long term vision.

I agree that we need to fill 2 major cohorts right now.  The 18 - 22 group with a core planned.  The  23- 26 group with a core planned.

Top these 2 groups up with a few UFA's on 1 year deals. I think our age groups would be a bit younger as we are a few years away from properly challenging for a playoff run. 

Archived