The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen MUST be traded this summer and here's why

CHYCHRUN

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love Hansen.  I am sure if we keep him we might be able to compete for 9th or 10th  place .   That will be awesome and will keep season ticket holders strung along for the ride.

Great strategy.    

the year he is a pending ufa is the year we consider moving him. until then he is a reliable player who is very versatile for us. No need to rush him to the door

39 minutes ago, sockeye said:

I agree.  I would only consider trading Hansen if we were could get a mid to high 2nd round pick or better.  Anything less would be a waste for a player who will be a mentor for the next couple of years.  Another thing, the league is getting faster a la Pittsburgh and Hansen has speed to burn.  He is our fastest forward.

Exactly.  If you are trying to strip your team and deliberately lose games like the geniuses in Toronto, you trade a guy like that and use a computer to draft a player.

I'd gladly take a first for Hansen. 

First rounders usually go for top-6 forwards or top-4 d-men, and Hansen is not a natural top-6 forward. 

Hansen is a great player, and he fits in well with the Sedins, so that (Sedin happiness and line-mate security) is my only concern.

However, there are younger players that can fit into his type of role, especially if the Sedins get a line-mate that clicks.

That said, I doubt anyone trades a first rounder for Hansen. I could see a 2nd rounder, but that's when you have to evaluate his worth on the team and compare it to the value of the deal.

56 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Do we ever keep a player because he's been a loyal hard working dedicated canuck his whole career?

If players is bad get rid of him right. If a player is good get rid of him right ?

If every single time one of our good dedicated players is traded once he starts to age then what do you think that does to the Horvats of the world when they sign there contracts in there mid twenties.

I am not an advocate of trading players like hansen unless he himself wants to be traded. 

All in all I would think we would come up short

Plus I believe he is one of the leaders on this team and a guy I would want my younger players to emulate.

Keep the honey Badger until he retires. I love the guy.

I whole heartily agree, like people saying trade the Sedins, you only trade players like that if they ask. I think it sets bad example for up and coming players. If they see that loyal players are being traded just because their value is high, then maybe they will figure why bother being loyal and instead of resigning here, they might go else where. I get it's a business, so essentially the players are workers, but if the workers aren't treated right they aren't going to stay and they aren't going to bring is new employees. 

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hansen's numbers aren't "inflated".

Virtually all his production was 5 on 5, and his rate of production with the Sedins was no better than it was without.

If this team added a high end free agent, most of them would wind up on the 2nd line - the only FAs that would wind up on our 1st line would be the 1RW - like Okposo.

The others are primarily left handed shots, left wings, or not necessarily and upgrade (imo Brouwer would be on Sutter's line, Lucic would as well...).

If this team added a guy like Okposo, Hansen playing in the middle six simply makes this team that much better.

This argument might make more sense in the near future when Virtanen and Boeser are forcing their way into the lineup - but at this point it's premature - and the idea of dumping players for picks is a tanking mentality that this team does not share.

This team has no desperate need to add a late pick to the prospect pool - and regardless, Hansen isn't the asset to use to accomplish that.

Also, some of you don't seem to realize that Hansen's value is not "at an all-time high".  You're fooling yourselves.  Hansen's production has been high relative to his ice-time and situational use for years and years.  He produced at a higher rate in 2012/13 than he did last year.  He's been a solid and consistent producer for years.

Honey Badger aint the yard-sale flavour of the week.

Ding, Ding, Ding!  

Yup, the other GMs know who this guy is.  

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

Track Hansen's possession numbers backward,

Last year - 59.3% offensive zone starts - by far the highest of his career, -3.01 corsi on.  By far the weakest underlying numbers of Hansen's career.

There is a larger context to it - but your claims are simply not supported by reality - in fact, the objective outcomes flat out contradict and refute what you're attempting to claim - and the same is true of your claim that his production was "inflated".

Honey Badger aint the yard sale flavour of the week.

The analytics that matter r off the charts.

So following this season when Hansens value has diminished some because he's got 1 yr remaining instead of 2, one year older and probably worse numbers... let me ask you something; Are willing to trade him for less then you would get today or would you re-up him to a big multi year deal? 

2 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

So following this season when Hansens value has diminished some because he's got 1 yr remaining instead of 2, one year older and probably worse numbers... let me ask you something; Are willing to trade him for less then you would get today or would you re-up him to a big multi year deal? 

Trade him at the TDL of his UFA season.  That might be when his value is at its highest?

3 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Are you 8 years old and can't wait for Christmas? We can trade him at the deadline if we get a great offer. We need someone to score goals, assists, and Hansen can play on 4 lines. Maybe let things happen and see where the team is in 6 months?

31 minutes ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

A 30 year old 30 point getter with a 2.5 million cap hit that can play on virtually any line. Do you realize how rare that is?

Would you trade a 1st round pick for that?  A mint condition reliable pinto is rare, does that mean it's worth a tonne of money?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trade him at the TDL of his UFA season.  That might be when his value is at its highest?

His value is the highest? Come'on... with an expiring contract and 2 more years added to his age. U can't honestly think that. ????????

1 hour ago, mpt said:

I think Hansen is old enough for teams to know his stats are inflated with the Sedins, the year Kesler scored 40 goals was the year to trade him.  Hansen still doesn't have a tonne of value, you might get a 2nd rounder but that's it.  I'd rather keep a guy like him

Why would we ever have wanted to trade Kesler when he scored 41 goals - the year we reached the Stanley Cup Finals, were the juggernauts of the NHL, and was the greatest Canucks team ever to be iced? 

This is makes no sense. A top contender trading away a vital core player, just because he benefitted from playing on the PP and scoring more goals than he would have otherwise. That's a first lol.

2 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

His value is the highest? Come'on... with an expiring contract and 2 more years added to his age. U can't honestly think that. ????????

Coming UFAs always have more value at the TDL.  Except JB refuses to trade ours, so I guess you're right then.  Hansen would have no value at the TDL of his UFA season, because JB won't trade those guys.  

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you 8 years old and can't wait for Christmas? We can trade him at the deadline if we get a great offer. We need someone to score goals, assists, and Hansen can play on 4 lines. Maybe let things happen and see where the team is in 6 months?

I enjoy Christmas when I get to see the cheer in my kids faces but as for the canucks, and if you read the 1st sentence of my original post, I don't see the Canucks contending during Hansen's contract and I sure as hell wouldn't want to sign him to a contract he's actually worth. I'd rather replace him with a ufa, cuz we have cap space to do that, while keeping the team competitive and stock the cupboards with a high pic for when we are readying to contend !

Just now, LaBamba said:

We finished 3rd last but we aren't rebuilding.

He will be needed for our deep Stanley cup run next season.

We are so close to San Jose it's not even funny. 

:lol: thanks LaBamba banana man.  Well said.

Just now, CHYCHRUN said:

I enjoy Christmas when I get to see the cheer in my kids faces but as for the canucks, and if you read the 1st sentence of my original post, I don't see the Canucks contending during Hansen's contract and I sure as hell wouldn't want to sign him to a contract he's actually worth. I'd rather replace him with a ufa, cuz we have cap space to do that, while keeping the team competitive and stock the cupboards with a high pic for when we are readying to contend !

The trade deadline gets you better deals. So what is the rush? Id rather have Hansen AND a UFA or two. And be able to make a similar deal at the deadline. 

Archived