The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen MUST be traded this summer and here's why

CHYCHRUN

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Coming UFAs always have more value at the TDL.  Except JB refuses to trade ours, so I guess you're right then.  Hansen would have no value at the TDL of his UFA season, because JB won't trade those guys.  

Ya, just like Vrbata right ? What were offered? A 7th rounder? Get realistic

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

The trade deadline gets you better deals. So what is the rush? Id rather have Hansen AND a UFA or two. And be able to make a similar deal at the deadline. 

Since when does JB trade away guys at the TDL?  

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The trade deadline gets you better deals. So what is the rush? Id rather have Hansen AND a UFA or two. And be able to make a similar deal at the deadline. 

U wont get a similar deal unless he sticks with the twins for another season. If that's the case, that means we didn't snatch a good ufa. 

Just ask Vrbata how it went last year.

Just ask JB how the trade offers went at the deadline for Vrbata.

4 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Ya, just like Vrbata right ? What were offered? A 7th rounder? Get realistic

It's not just Vrby.  Name one coming UFA JB traded?  Two TDLs and zero assets acquired?  That's zero picks coming our way, when we are supposed to be rebuilding.  I like many of his moves, but he fails here.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It's not just Vrby.  Name one coming UFA JB traded?  Two TDLs and zero assets acquired?  That's zero picks coming our way, when we are supposed to be rebuilding.  I like many of his moves, but he fails here.  

Bang on! 

1 minute ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Bang on! 

There are several things that don't add up for a rebuilding team, and managing assets is at the top of the list.  Hansen should be moved, and if not now then certainly at his UFA Trade deadline.  But he won't be.  JB fails to acquire assets, when he should.  

6 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

You will not replace his value. Most importantly you will not replace the imprint he can impress upon our young players.

I don't disagree with that statement. His work ethic is irreplaceable. 

I'm thinking of what this team looks like in 3-5 years from now. I believe we could still be as competitive if we can land okposo or errikson etc, to replace him on the top line while getting an additional prospect. Easier said than done.

JB's asset management has been terrible, this could rectify a lot of that.

1 hour ago, CHYCHRUN said:

It's about asset management. Sign a free agent to replace him... with a better scoring prowess cuz we have cap space..  Trade Hansen for a pick, hence the future

Assets.... how does a pick with a low chance of performing as well as Hansen 4 years from now have more value than an established player? How is that good asset management? How many players do we have with his speed, 2 way play, can play on all lines if need be? 1. At a low cap hit.

Please explain how a long shot pick is a better asset than that. 

Hansen should only be moved for a known asset RFA. Moving him for picks would be a shame.

Why is the only definition of 'asset management' excess picks? You say Benning has been bad at this but if you actually look at our roster and prospect depth we are much better than 2 years ago.

6 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

I'm thinking of what this team looks like in 3-5 years from now.

There's no point attempting to make this claim - particularly in the context of a maybe draft pick that you're hoping to return - the odds of that being in the picture in any way as substantially as Hansen in fact is, 3-5 years from now, is mere pie in the sky at this point.

You guys that are planning to lose for 3-5 years....are in the wrong fanbase.  

That's not the way this team is building itself.  You'll have to settle for defecting to the Leafs. 

We finished 3 rd last in the league last year.

We need to hang on to all our aging players that are declining in skills and value....... Make sure we never trade them at the TDL for picks...  Keep them and lose them for nothing  as UFA's/

Yup - if we want to finish  2nd last next year..... and stay there for the next 5 years.  

I like your style... Keep Hansen  - Long term Team Tank.  Smart thinking.  Get great picks for the next 5 years. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

We finished 3 rd last in the league last year.

We need to hang on to all our aging players that are declining in skills and value....... Make sure we never trade them at the TDL for picks...  Keep them and lose them for nothing  as UFA's/

Yup - if we want to finish  2nd last next year..... and stay there for the next 5 years.  

I like your style... Keep Hansen  - Long term Team Tank.  Smart thinking.  Get great picks for the next 5 years. 

I like your style,   You're sharp.  You teach yourself quickly.

2 hours ago, mpt said:

I think Hansen is old enough for teams to know his stats are inflated with the Sedins, the year Kesler scored 40 goals was the year to trade him.  Hansen still doesn't have a tonne of value, you might get a 2nd rounder but that's it.  I'd rather keep a guy like him

i honestly haven't thought about it this way ..  you make a great point ..   though it bums me out to admit that 

This is quite the split. Lots of people want to capitalize on his high value right now and others want to keep him. I would say trade him if we had someone like Brouwer to replace him on the RW...but we don't and can't sign free agents till after the draft. Everyone saying you can just replace him with a FA is just throwing caution to the wind. What if no FA's want to come here and we've traded Hansen away...then what!? You can't bank on something you don't have yet.

Also Hansen really came into his own as a locker room and on ice leader this year. If development of your young players is what you want then you really should not get rid of a guy like the Honey Badger. He brings way more value in that respect than any 2nd round pick will....

Archived