The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL trying to restore Wideman's 20 game suspension.

7 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Don't they always?

Oh, wait...no. No they don't. But this should help!

nhl: all right, boys, let's talk offers. heres our offer

pa: we didn't forget how you tooked us to court and tried to make us all look like jokes, you jerk

nhl: hay, nhlpa president, let it goooo~!

pa: thats it, we're going on strike

nhl: wut? again! c'mon, dude, it was a joooke~! srs tho, numbers?

pa: no.

nhl: oh c'mon, be a pal~!

nhl: i'll be your friend....

nhl: oh you're mean!

Just now, Twilight Sparkle said:

nhl: all right, boys, let's talk offers. heres our offer

pa: we didn't forget how you tooked us to court and tried to make us all look like jokes, you jerk

nhl: hay, nhlpa president, let it goooo~!

pa: thats it, we're going on strike

nhl: wut? again! c'mon, dude, it was a joooke~! srs tho, numbers?

nhl: oh c'min, be a pal~!

nhl: i'll be your friend....

nhl: oh you're mean!

NHL: Here's the deal boys, take it or leave it.

PA: We want more!

NHL:...you can have a little more.

PA: No, a LOT more!

NHL: Then strike. We'll see you back here after another lockout accepting less, and we'll see another boom as Canadians flock back to their beloved sport, cash in hand.

PA:...we agree to a little more...jerks.

NHL: Good boy.

100% agree with the nhl on this one. the pa would be doing the same if they felt the process was done incorrectly. Wideman should of got 30 + in my opinion. the nhlpa should be careful here or next time an official is abused the league is going to throw the book and kick someone out for a year just because they know the pa will appeal.

8 hours ago, Dral said:

On the one hand, I've had a couple concussions myself - and anyone who can categorically state he absolutely knew what he was doing or absolutely did not know what he was doing has never had a concussion before...

I said it multiple times in all the previous threads on this, but I've had concussions ranging from minor to loss of consciousness and I can state with a reasonable amount of certainty that while he might not have known what was going on immediately after the hit, he certainly did by the time he'd made it half way to the bench and it would in no way excuse his actions other than to be potentially surprised by the ref and not able to react at all. The fact that he skated under obvious control after the first few seconds, signalled to the bench for a change, and angled to the boards not so early as to support himself but to avoid skaters coming the other way rather than taking a direct route to the bench are all signs that he was aware enough of his surroundings. That it resulted in him cross checking a linesman with his arms high rather than low and trying to cushion any accidental impact is just the icing on the cake.

If he were truly concussed enough to consider him not being aware of his surroundings there would have been other symptoms. He wouldn't have been able to skate under control without at least some balance and coordination issues, he wouldn't have been able to calmly signal the bench by raising his stick and then showing frustration by slapping it on the ice after, and he likely wouldn't have picked the median path with took him directly into the line of the official instead of more directly to the boards if he was hurt or more directly to the bench if he just wanted off and didn't have anything else in mind. The brain tries to operate normal when concussed, but is injured to the point that at least various things are affected; most commonly balance and coordination, but also vision and short term memory retention.

I find it very, very implausible that he would have had solely vision-related symptoms from a concussion that would cause him to not see the official but yet make his way back to the bench and then have him say that he was completely fine afterwards apart from some neck and shoulder soreness.

But I probably didn't need to bother typing that out since it's all been said many times already. 

9 hours ago, Dral said:

Am I really the only one who's torn on this ?

On the one hand, I've had a couple concussions myself - and anyone who can categorically state he absolutely knew what he was doing or absolutely did not know what he was doing has never had a concussion before...

On the other hand, you have to send a very real message that Refs are a 110% always, without exception, off limits...

He's had no history of doing anything like this before, he's not a dirty player... the ruling came down, they aren't following it... so many variables going either way...

This kinda reeks of some backroom politics coming out in the light and we're not getting the full story...

This isn't a player on player incident. This is an intentional hit to an official resulting in injury. 100% illegal in any case.

The Wideman 'wuz a gud boy, dindu nuffin argument' is so weak.

Not to mention he was apparently too concussed to know what he was doing while simultaneously finishing the hockey game. Someone smells, his name is Dennis Wideman.

1 minute ago, Mustapha said:

This isn't a player on player incident. This is an intentional hit to an official resulting in injury. 100% illegal in any case.

The Wideman 'wuz a gud boy, dindu nuffin argument' is so weak.

Not to mention he was apparently too concussed to know what he was doing while simultaneously finishing the hockey game. Someone smells, his name is Dennis Wideman.

So judges in a court of law shouldn't look at the defendants criminal history (or lack of) before sentencing ?

4 minutes ago, Dral said:

So judges in a court of law shouldn't look at the defendants criminal history (or lack of) before sentencing ?

Irrelevant. He was given the minimum.

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

The minimum sentence for an intentional hit to an official causing injury is 20 games. A crosscheck on an unsuspecting official from behind into the boards is definitely capable of causing injury. It's even an illegal play between players for this very reason.

Therefore, based on the violation, the NHL gave him the shortest sentence possible. 

10 hours ago, Dral said:

Am I really the only one who's torn on this ?

On the other hand, you have to send a very real message that Refs are a 110% always, without exception, off limits...

He's had no history of doing anything like this before, he's not a dirty player... the ruling came down, they aren't following it... so many variables going either way...

This kinda reeks of some backroom politics coming out in the light and we're not getting the full story...

I've had half a dozen moderate concussions in my life ranging from category 1 to category 3 where I lost full consciousness for more than 15 minutes (due to a car accident).

In the time it took for Wideman to get up, and deliver the hit he did was more than enough for anyone to have adequately cleared their head.

more to the point, if it was as accidental as Wideman says, he would have seen the ref as he was about to skate into him and maybe would have tripped up the ref if the collision was severe enough.

Wideman wound up and delivered a high hit to the ref which implies two things almost automatically; 1: he knew full well what he was doing and who was where in relation to himself, and 2: the hit was intentional. The amount of force behind that hit causing the injury it did was not "accidental".

Not in the slightest. You should not be torn, at all.

5 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Irrelevant. He was given the minimum.

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

The minimum sentence for an intentional hit to an official causing injury is 20 games. A crosscheck on an unsuspecting official from behind into the boards is definitely capable of causing injury. It's even an illegal play between players for this very reason.

Therefore, based on the violation, the NHL gave him the shortest sentence possible. 

If my question was irrelevant then so was your entire comment

Archived