The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Bass Player

Rate this topic

Best Bass Player  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:09 AM, nzan said:

I like trolling Rush fans by saying "lots of people say Geddy Lee is the best bass player in the world, and everyone says Neil Peart is the world's best drummer - why didn't they get a very good guitarist?!"

The veins start popping out of the foreheads long before they catch that I'm joking.

Well why didn't they?  That guitar solo on that Diane Sawyer song is terrible, but atleast he is a decent actor.

• Upvote 2
On 8/29/2016 at 1:45 PM, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I'm glad to have found this thread. 

There isn't one clear best bassist in my opinion. 

Anthony Jackson is right at the top with Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn just behind....and Flea.  Flea will be a legend in time...in time

I like Chris Wolstenholme and John Myung for contemporary bassists.

Carol Kaye, great choice. Though her memory is a bit odd.

• 5 months later...

I love these threads.  My knowledge of bass players is limited.  In fact I don't even  know most of the musicians on your list with the exception of Metallica's bass player they fired in favour on Cliff Burton and of coarse Geddy Lee.  Van Halen's bassist, ha nice,  as a guitarist I am pretty sure I am at his level bass wise.  As I listen to classic rock on the radio and Duran Duran's Rio is currently playing I'll give a nod to their bass player (John Taylor?, I aint googling) he's got some sweet bass lines.  Cliff Burton is another one I'd give a shout out to.  Now don't flame me for not knowing who actually is the best but I'd say the two I mention are probably better than majority of that list.  We need a best guitarist thread(you know, an instrument people actually care about:emot-parrot:)

Here's a pic of a bass playing troll, not implying anything.

DMF-L90ETC-MaiKyl-bass.jpg

Edited by Tre Mac
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have to admit that for me, determining who is "the best" would difficult as I haven't really listened all that much to some of the folks listed on the poll (not really a rock guy, so stand up bass in a jazz band is more my thing)

Charles Mingus

Ray Brown and Ron Carter are also pretty good.

Electric bass guitar, Jaco Pastorius

Otherwise, with all of my ears' frequent flyer miles to Japan, I'm really liking Misa (from Band Maid).

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...