The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Google is Recording Everything You Say

nucklehead

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/google-quietly-recording-hear-it-delete-it-stop/

Thanks to a function of their search software, Google could have years worth of your conversations recorded, and you can hear it for yourself. Your cringe-worthy history can be heard and viewed along with a list of all your searches, at your personal Google history page.

The feature was built into Google’s search function as a means of delivering accurate search results. However, the sheer accuracy and amount of data Google stores is chilling.

The good news is that you can turn it off and delete it, and at the end of this article, we will show you how.

As the Independent reports:

The recordings can function as a kind of diary, reminding you of the various places and situations that you and your phone have been in. But it’s also a reminder of just how much information is collected about you, and how intimate that information can be.

You’ll see more if you’ve an Android phone, which can be activated at any time just by saying “OK, Google”. But you may well also have recordings on there whatever devices you’ve interacted with Google using.

However, even if you don’t have an Android phone and conduct Google searches on iDevices, Google is still listening.

When visiting your personal history page that the web giant keeps on you, it will show you everywhere Google has a record of you being on the internet.

Of course, Google claims that this information is never personally used against you and is done solely for the purpose of enlightening your experience on the web. However, imagine the ominous implications if this information was being used against you.

Google now processes over 40,000 search queries every second on average, which translates to over 3.5 billion searches per day and 1.2 trillion searches per year worldwide.

The data from these searches is then stored on each individual who conducts them. Using this data or steering results in a particular direction, the internet behemoth could effectively influence the entire world. Aside from influence, Google could predict the future based on trends

Much of this search history is tied location data retrieved from the device being used to conduct the query. So, not only does the search engine have information on what your interests are, it has you specific interests based on where you are at any given moment.

Google’s motto of Don’t Be Evil now seems like less like a request for its users and more like a way of keeping themselves in check.

Now for the good news — you can turn all of this off.

You can start this eye-opening journey by heading to Google’s history page and looking at the long list of recordings. The company has a specific audio page as well as their record of where you’ve been on the internet.

If you’ve never disabled the feature, you will see a list of audio recordings, even some done outside of the Google app, as well as a transcript of the audio Google has converted to text.

What we recommend, after you further panic by listening to or scrolling through Google’s creepy recordings of your search history, is to delete them all and disable the functions.

The Independent explains just how to do this:

To delete particular files, you can click the check box on the left and then move back to the top of the page and select “delete”. To get rid of everything, you can press the “More” button, select “Delete options” and then “Advanced” and click through.

The easiest way to stop Google recording everything is to turn off the virtual assistant and never to use voice search. But that solution also gets at the central problem of much privacy and data use today – doing so cuts off one of the most useful things about having an Android phone or using Google search.

Now that you know this exists quit voluntarily handing over your data to unknown parties and share this article with your friends and family to show them how to stop it as well.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/google-quietly-recording-hear-it-delete-it-stop/#OaYiyCH8hHBVrpfc.99

Is this why Google is always asking me to verify my phone number?

An aside, there is a trend to store data "in the cloud".  The data is actually stored somewhere actually.  There are giant storage facilities that can be accessed by you via the internet.  The thing is, they are mostly in the US and as such are subject to search by the National Security Agency.  For this reason, may Canadian companies are reluctant to use the "cloud" for the storage of sensitive and/or secure data.

It's 2016, people have to start to expect this and not be so creeped out. I work with companies that "can" and "are" doing things behind the scenes that most people would would be shocked if they new.  It's not to make people feel unsafe but for better market research so that we can be more effient in our offerings.

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure why anyone would have thought they weren't doing this. Nothing's free. 

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's 2016, people have to start to expect this and not be so creeped out. I work with companies that "can" and "are" doing things behind the scenes that most people would would be shocked if they new.  It's not to make people feel unsafe but for better market research so that we can be more effient in our offerings.

I get that, and I don't mind them using my search results to better improve my online experience and for market research, etc, but secretly recording and storing audio it is a bit much.

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I get that, and I don't mind them using my search results to better improve my online experience and for market research, etc, but secretly recording and storing audio it is a bit much.

Sure, but you have to remember a few things

1 ) It's all automated, it's not a person creeping on your conversations. 

2 ) If your worried about someone finding this info and releasing it, no one cares about who you are personally.  You're a needle in a haystack

It's how these big companies make money.  The newest trend in marketing is about personalization. Rather than sending out a scatter fire message and hoping some people bite (which is expensive), were now able to send specific offers basically designed for each individual based of their interests.  It helps cut the spam out in the customers lives and it also saves marketing costs on business lives.  We can take things way, way further but most companies are waiting for a time when it feels less like a personal intrusion.

25 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

It is. But its also kind of self-inflicted too, we don't really "need" to be using google products. Thats why people need to vote in politicians who will bring in laws to ever prevent this kind of info from being used, or better yet ,force them to destroy it and stop collecting it. 

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's what it's used for now, but who's to say some evil genius won't turn around and use it as a weapon in the future?

Think of all the blackmailing that can happen... hmm...

Unless your a person that matters why does someone care that joe blow said (blank). You're one in 7billion people. If someone (who has the tech skills) is going to do something illegal and steal information why risk jail and a crimal record over a nobody. There's bigger fish to fry. 

21 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And it's that kind of complacency that will be the death of mankind.

Everybody matters to some extent to someone.  It's just a matter of connecting the right person to the right situation.  You might laugh off the apparent absurdity of what seems to be meaningless information being used for criminal activity, but everything has value, and everything can be weaponized to some extent when placed in the wrong hands.

Somebody watches too many cartoons.

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And it's that kind of complacency that will be the death of mankind.

Everybody matters to some extent to someone.  It's just a matter of connecting the right person to the right situation.  You might laugh off the apparent absurdity of what seems to be meaningless information being used for criminal activity, but everything has value, and everything can be weaponized to some extent when placed in the wrong hands.

I enjoy being a nobody and I only get paranoid when I smoke the pot. Then I again realize I'm a nobody and no one really gives a frack about me other then my kids and family. 

I am sure that I am just as odd/strange/weird as every other Joe shmoe and anything I say or search for has been repeated by several million other 30 something males in the world.

Haha, I checked my search activity, and it has been turned off for years. The last year it was turned on was 2010, and included search results like Tetris 1, DWTS results, clothing stores, Dibits, and nothing for everything else.

Archived