The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] ARI and DET in talks about Datsyuk's contract

1 minute ago, HC20.0 said:

Just by how much the contract is, I'd reckon at least Detroit's first would have to go to Arizona.

Datsyuk's contract is one year left at 7.5 million cap hit (5.5 in salary). So I would assume Arizona would ask for either a 1st round pick or a couple of 2nd round and 3rd round picks to eat that for the season.   

The first time I heard this rumour (Detroit wanting to move the contract, not necessarily with the Coyotes) they mentioned Tatar and/or another prospect. I'd assume a pick as well, but the Wings already lack prospects and need to start refilling the cupboards.

21 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Cap hit is on the books but salary isn't. This is not like the Savard deal. I would be surpirsed if it cost DET much at all

This. Coyotes are not being hampered at all by this contract. They are also not paying Datsyuk a cent. There are quite a few teams that could have taken on the contract without any problem. It will likely only be a 2nd or 3rd at the most.

Just now, LaBamba said:

We should do this, it would prevent JB from doing something stupid like signing Okposo to 7.5 x 7

Let's take our negative pants off LaBamba. 

JB is a lot better than we give him credit for.   He has his vision and is getting it done however it has to be done.  

Justbecause a lot of us don't agree with his vision, doesn't mean he is a bad GM. 

And no. We should not waste a butt load of cap space for a couple free picks.  

32 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

not sure but didn't he say he was going to retire?? why on earth would you take a chance on him and take his contract and lose assets as well.... blows my mind away.

I think the point of the trade would be that Detroit has to add value in order for Arizona to take on the cap space. Arizona wins by adding assets and a cap hit to help them get to the cap floor without actually paying the contract.

24 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

We should do this, it would prevent JB from doing something stupid like signing Okposo to 7.5 x 7

Almost Guarantees another set of new rules implemented by the NHL after the next board of governors meeting.

Every time someone punches holes in Bettmans controlling ways, he just changes the rules,.  The fact is the game, contracts, cap, revenue issues, never used to be about this until he started to use the power he has foolishly been granted. 

Now we have Algebra Degrees guiding the game.

Archived