The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] NHL 30 thoughts - Elliotte Friedman

Ted Lasso

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-remembering-greatness/

a couple points on our Canucks, including a draft prediction and confirmation of a pending FA signing

edit: having trouble posting the article from my iPhone. He predicts that we draft Dubois and mentions that a GM has confirmed a free-agent winger is signing in Vancouver (then hints at Loui Eriksson).

12 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

a couple points on our Canucks, including a draft prediction and confirmation of a pending FA signing

edit: having trouble posting the article from my iPhone. He predicts that we draft Dubois and mentions that a GM has confirmed a free-agent winger is signing in Vancouver (then hints at Louis Erikson).

My guess is that Sweeney would be the GM in question. Canucks cannot begin negotiations without accusations of tampering, so maybe Eriksson flat out told Sweeney he wasn't interested in an offer because he wanted to sign with Vancouver.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

My guess is that Sweeney would be the GM in question. Canucks cannot begin negotiations without accusations of tampering, so maybe Eriksson flat out told Sweeney he wasn't interested in an offer because he wanted to sign with Vancouver.

That makes sense, thank you!

4 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Is Stamkos considered "one of those wingers" :bigblush:

With our luck it will be Ericksonn, just another Verbata type player. Ho-hum. 

Ericsson is a far better, far more complete player than vrbata, and I quite liked vrbata in his first season in Van

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ericsson is a far better, far more complete player than vrbata, and I quite liked vrbata in his first season in Van

I loved Verby the first season as well, he actually won us a handful of games thanks to the shootouts, and had a hot streak. Was really snake-bitten last year and just lost all his confidence.

Erickson I am not sold on, history of injuries, IMO the Sedins would do much better with a true power forward on their line rather than a finesse type guy. They also had success internationally, who knows if they can produce during a rough and tumble NHL playoff series? Would rather have Looch or Brouwer digging the puck out and making defenceman pay in the cycle game. 

For the right price/term,  Loui would be a great addition to our top 6.  Versatile,  hard working,  skilled, can play up/down the lineup and with a variety of linemates and in pretty much any situation.  Far superior to Virby imo, just worried about his contract ask.   

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

edit: having trouble posting the article from my iPhone. He predicts that we draft Dubois and mentions that a GM has confirmed a free-agent winger is signing in Vancouver (then hints at Loui Eriksson).

Actually, what it implies is that it is not Eriksson.

A GM says a free agent winger is coming here.  Eriksson and Boston still working on a deal.  How does that imply Eriksson is the guy coming here?

My guess would be Brouwer.

And the guy Vancouver prefers, imo would be Puljujarvi (not Logan Brown)

Hartnell's NMC and the 3rd overall for the 5th overall, Burrows and a throw in.

Sedin Sedin Puljujarvi

Hartnell Sutter Brouwer

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Etem Gaunce/Granlund Dorsett

Virtanen to Utica - and wouldn't need to be protected in the expansion draft.

I could handle that course of events.  Would have to weigh the trade up vs the risk of years 2 and 3 of Hartnell, but seriously worth considering imo.

That is one heavy 2nd line that could score 60-70 goals.  And the 3rd line could be one of the best in the NHL.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Actually, what it implies is that it is not Eriksson.

A GM says a free agent winger is coming here.  Eriksson and Boston still working on a deal.  How does that imply Eriksson is the guy coming here?

I can see both interpretations. 

Boston and Loui can't seem to get anywhere so he says their taking a last shot at it knowing it's futile. 

Or there's still a ligit chance he signs in Boston and it's someone else entirely they're talking about. 

30 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Is Stamkos considered "one of those wingers" :bigblush:

With our luck it will be Ericksonn, just another Verbata type player. Ho-hum. 

Last year's or this year's Vrbata? If last year's, then that's a player who can score 30 goals per season and 4 years younger than last year's Vrbata. 

I think Eriksson with the Sedins will be a good line. Eriksson will get 30 goals and having him there will also increase Daniel's goal totals to 30. 

7. A GM on the Vancouver Canucks: “One of the free-agent wingers is going there. Just have to figure out which one.” 

Word out of the combine was Boston and Loui Eriksson would take a final run at a deal.

I don't think A GM said anything. Elliot made that part up, just like Dregs, Mackenzie and others do when reporting on something like this.

It's pretty well known JB will go hard after a UFA winger. We all know it, so do the "pundits". He just made up that part to give extra weight to his musings......

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

7. A GM on the Vancouver Canucks: “One of the free-agent wingers is going there. Just have to figure out which one.” 

Word out of the combine was Boston and Loui Eriksson would take a final run at a deal.

I don't think A GM said anything. Elliot made that part up, just like Dregs, Mackenzie and others do when reporting on something like this.

It's pretty well known JB will go hard after a UFA winger. We all know it, so do the "pundits". He just made up that part to give extra weight to his musings......

But those are in the quotes. Meaning, this GM said those words. I think Friedman knows basic journalism. 

Now, the interesting thing to note is what follows right after. 

Why would Friedman put this right after mentioning a UFA winger going to Vancouver? He might be implying something here.

Archived