The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pittsburgh Penguins defeat San Jose Sharks in 6 games, to win the 2016 Stanley Cup

Kaner

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

I read on hfboards that crosby does have a secret gf named Kathy and she was apparently on the ice.  I've never seen a picture of her though and crosby must hide her in his basement most times.  Not sure why he needs to be so secret about it.  If wayne gretzky didn't need to hide his gf, then crosby doesn't need to.  I've never heard of or seen sid with a gf since he entered the NHL.

This is why I don't trust Crosby guy tries to stay more squeaky clean in his public persona than Russel Wilson for god's sake.

Pittsburgh’s collective team speed with supportive back pressure, neutral-zone quickness and speedy zone entries to back off defenders is a template teams will copy.

The Canucks need size in a big-boy division, but you can’t hit what you can’t catch. Are they fast enough? Hansen is a burner. Baertschi is quick. Virtanen moves well for a big guy. Horvat is a menace once he gains speed. But the Canucks don’t have enough cat-like quickness to win the speed game.

The Penguins made eight trades in the last two years to give Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin support and speed.

Are the Canucks equipped to make moves like that even feasible?

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Pittsburgh’s collective team speed with supportive back pressure, neutral-zone quickness and speedy zone entries to back off defenders is a template teams will copy.

The Canucks need size in a big-boy division, but you can’t hit what you can’t catch. Are they fast enough? Hansen is a burner. Baertschi is quick. Virtanen moves well for a big guy. Horvat is a menace once he gains speed. But the Canucks don’t have enough cat-like quickness to win the speed game.

The Penguins made eight trades in the last two years to give Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin support and speed.

Are the Canucks equipped to make moves like that even feasible?

Well Anton Rodin is coming up so that might help on the speed and skill department. Benning must have seen a lot of upside on him considering he felt he could trade away McCann and Shinkaruk.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

This is why I don't trust Crosby guy tries to stay more squeaky clean in his public persona than Russel Wilson for god's sake.

Crosby has been the poster boy for the NHL since he entered the league.  Not to say his squeaky clean image keeps the endorsements and big money rolling in.   He and his handlers certainly know how to play the game.  Image management is a smart move for him.

10 hours ago, Qwags said:

I wonder if you could drink the Shark's tears with the Stanley Cup?

Don't know why they should be crying. They did not bring a game worthy of a SCF to the ice. One of the lowest intensity final matches I can remember watching.

7 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

Don't know why they should be crying. They did not bring a game worthy of a SCF to the ice. One of the lowest intensity final matches I can remember watching.

This one wasnt as bad as njd vs la for me

It's successes for Crosby that remind me of a lot of hate that fans have for nice guy, skilled players. If Crosby has a squeaky clean reputation, so be it. He's not viewed as a cry baby now that he's turning into a 200 ft. player, and a leader. Maybe he just wants to win? Maybe his gf is shy in public? Seems that the Penguins respect players privacy. Trevor Linden's wife is never seen in the team corporate box. And every time I've seen her in events, she looks slightly annoyed, when she should be happy for her husband. 

We're not privy to their private lives. I find it refreshing for a change for players not to turn into side show freaks like Beiber.

8 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I had Sharks in 6 I think? Way off lmao. Then again they beat the Blues and they were stacked. The Pens depth was huge and I don't think anyone expect them to perform so well.

Same. They looked so dominant against the Blues. And beating the Kings was a pretty big deal to me.

I am glad I was wrong. :lol: 

10 hours ago, riffraff said:

I dunno

i sure heard sheary's name a lot and let's not forget rust

Both those players have turned 24 which is year 6 after their 18 year old draft year.

They let these guys cook in college and let them simmer in the AHL, then you add them to a lineup filled with  10 to 17 year veterans like Cullen.

Guaranteed these guys would have been declared busts their second year after being drafted if they weren't putting up big numbers.

Looks like we had a very good coach in Sullivan get away when we dumped Torts, too bad, everyone loves willy but I'm not sold.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's successes for Crosby that remind me of a lot of hate that fans have for nice guy, skilled players. If Crosby has a squeaky clean reputation, so be it. He's not viewed as a cry baby now that he's turning into a 200 ft. player, and a leader. Maybe he just wants to win? Maybe his gf is shy in public? Seems that the Penguins respect players privacy. Trevor Linden's wife is never seen in the team corporate box. And every time I've seen her in events, she looks slightly annoyed, when she should be happy for her husband. 

We're not privy to their private lives. I find it refreshing for a change for players not to turn into side freaks like Beiber.

trevor's wife ? thought he was single lol  ,agree with your views on crosby ,total class act i thought the commercial with with mackinnen was great ,as fans we owe him a little respect if only for getting canada the gold medal, i see horvat carrying himself on/off the ice similar to crosby.

2 hours ago, nucklehead said:

True. The Sharks looked lost in that game last night. It wasn't a very exciting game at all. Jones' stop on Kessel was the best thing about the Sharks game last night.

The better team clearly won.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We're not privy to their private lives. I find it refreshing for a change for players not to turn into side freaks like Beiber.

I respect Crosby and what he brings to hockey. He's a great player, and a decent human being. It's good to see public figures keeping their families out of the gaze of media. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but keeping ones private life, private, is always the best idea.

Glad that's over, now we can focus on what's really important - the Draft :)

Happy for Kessel, I'll never forget the look on his face being picked last at the NHL All-Star game a few years ago. Stuck playing in the TOR fishbowl, I'm happy he got out and won the Cup. Well Sharks fans, I feel your pain, but I'm glad you didn't win.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I respect Crosby and what he brings to hockey. He's a great player, and a decent human being. It's good to see public figures keeping their families out of the gaze of media. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but keeping ones private life, private, is always the best idea.

Man how did 99 feel when Janet snubbed his kiss attempt on screen?

priceless

6 hours ago, newgm said:

Both those players have turned 24 which is year 6 after their 18 year old draft year.

They let these guys cook in college and let them simmer in the AHL, then you add them to a lineup filled with  10 to 17 year veterans like Cullen.

Guaranteed these guys would have been declared busts their second year after being drafted if they weren't putting up big numbers.

Looks like we had a very good coach in Sullivan get away when we dumped Torts, too bad, everyone loves willy but I'm not sold.

Thanks for the info I was not aware that those players were that age.

but to be fair the pens vets aren't really comparable to our vets.  The pens have already won a cup with their core and what really put the team over the edge was their third line.  Although bones and hagelin have some playoff experience I would t label them as battle scarred playoff vets. And kessel has one post season an until this playoffs hadn't convinced anyone outside of Toronto that he was any sort or threat when the going gets tough and defensive play is paramount.

the Penguins won the cup the same way most champions have:

with leadership, goaltending star players playing like stars, supporting cast players that step up, and the odd guy who plays out of his mind ie Rust.  

The pens were a far superior team from top down in this series.

Archived