The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pittsburgh Penguins defeat San Jose Sharks in 6 games, to win the 2016 Stanley Cup

Kaner

When the Sharks stopped getting obscene amounts of PP time that's when they reverted back to their old selves.  If not for a dumb mistake by Letang/Crosby that allowed the Sharks back in a game plus the goaltending of Jones this would have been a sweep.  

The only Sharks that showed up were Jones, Couture (gross) and Burns.  Although Burns sometimes hurt them more than helped them in this series.  Polak was a train wreck, he was ok in the Western series but surely they had a more mobile d-man in their system that could have been subbed in for Polak.  

19 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Pittsburgh’s collective team speed with supportive back pressure, neutral-zone quickness and speedy zone entries to back off defenders is a template teams will copy.

The Canucks need size in a big-boy division, but you can’t hit what you can’t catch. Are they fast enough? Hansen is a burner. Baertschi is quick. Virtanen moves well for a big guy. Horvat is a menace once he gains speed. But the Canucks don’t have enough cat-like quickness to win the speed game.

The Penguins made eight trades in the last two years to give Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin support and speed.

Are the Canucks equipped to make moves like that even feasible?

Mostly, I see that we struggle to get pucks out of our own end when there is a play to be made.  Either its a poor pass into a team-mates feet, turnover, overskating the puck, a tired hack at the puck...sometimes it seems to the fan that the players treat the puck like a grenade.  You didn't really see any of that from the Pens, they'd either skate it to an area, flip it in the air or make a couple passes to get out.  I'm sure it's not our players conditioning, maybe its travel and jet-lag but how many times do you see guys falling down all over the place if we get trapped and either take a penalty or ice the puck.

Either way I wasn't going to be happy about who won the cup. The one thing that really irks me about Pittsburgh winning the cup is it is more about Criesby winning the cup than the team. He did not play well enough nor consistent enough to earn the Conn Smythe, there were far more important players who were more consistent throughout the playoffs. Murray for one stepped in as a rookie goaltender and filled in some big shoes and had outstanding games/series vs WSH and TBL. To me I think it should have been either Murray or Bonino.

Bonino put up 18 points to Crosby's 19 points, he had less ice time, put up 18pts, 4g, 14a +9 and 50 blocked shots over 24 games and averaged 48.5% FOW. In the finals alone he blocked 22 shots in 6 games.

Everyone talks about this 2 way game Crosby had and how he was a force in the face off circle, but his numbers were only slightly better than Bonino with 52.4%,  he had 3a and 8 blocked shots and an even rating in the SJS series. Crosby had his best series vs NYR who in my opinion are on the downward trend. He racked up 8 of his 19 points vs NYR who were quite weak. Crosby put up 2a against WSH and came out -3.

NYR vs PIT(4-1)

Crosby: +3 3g, 5a 3 blocked shots.

Bonino: +2 0g, 5a 6 blocked shots.

WSH vs PIT(4-2)

Crosby: -3 0g, 2a 2 blocked shots

Bonino: +5 2g, 3a 14 blocked shots

TBL vs PIT(4-3)

Crosby: -1 3g, 2a 2 blocked shots

Bonino: 0 1g, 4a 8 blocked shots

SJS vs PIT(4-2)

Crosby: 0 0g, 4a 8 blocked shots

Bonino: +2 1g, 2a 22 blocked shots

Bonino was the big reason PIT won the cup, the ammount of blocked shots and the production from his line is what got them through WSH and TBL. WSH was by far the toughest opponent PIT faced and if Bonino wasn't in that series I could not see them winning without those 14 blocked shots and 5pts. Bonino got robbed of the Conn Smythe.

12 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Either way I wasn't going to be happy about who won the cup. The one thing that really irks me about Pittsburgh winning the cup is it is more about Criesby winning the cup than the team. He did not play well enough nor consistent enough to earn the Conn Smythe, there were far more important players who were more consistent throughout the playoffs. Murray for one stepped in as a rookie goaltender and filled in some big shoes and had outstanding games/series vs WSH and TBL. To me I think it should have been either Murray or Bonino.

Bonino put up 18 points to Crosby's 19 points, he had less ice time, put up 18pts, 4g, 14a +9 and 50 blocked shots over 24 games and averaged 48.5% FOW. In the finals alone he blocked 22 shots in 6 games.

Everyone talks about this 2 way game Crosby had and how he was a force in the face off circle, but his numbers were only slightly better than Bonino with 52.4%,  he had 3a and 8 blocked shots and an even rating in the SJS series. Crosby had his best series vs NYR who in my opinion are on the downward trend. He racked up 8 of his 19 points vs NYR who were quite weak. Crosby put up 2a against WSH and came out -3.

NYR vs PIT(4-1)

Crosby: +3 3g, 5a 3 blocked shots.

Bonino: +2 0g, 5a 6 blocked shots.

WSH vs PIT(4-2)

Crosby: -3 0g, 2a 2 blocked shots

Bonino: +5 2g, 3a 14 blocked shots

TBL vs PIT(4-3)

Crosby: -1 3g, 2a 2 blocked shots

Bonino: 0 1g, 4a 8 blocked shots

SJS vs PIT(4-2)

Crosby: 0 0g, 4a 8 blocked shots

Bonino: +2 1g, 2a 22 blocked shots

Bonino was the big reason PIT won the cup, the ammount of blocked shots and the production from his line is what got them through WSH and TBL. WSH was by far the toughest opponent PIT faced and if Bonino wasn't in that series I could not see them winning without those 14 blocked shots and 5pts. Bonino got robbed of the Conn Smythe.

Good work 

Archived