The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rick Bowness signs extension with Lightning

Big loss for the Lightning. Rick Bowness will re-join as an assistant coach to Alain Vigneault. They were both together for six years in Vancouver before getting fired in 2013.

Initially, Buccigross mentioned Rick Bowness would be heading to the Rangers as an assistant coach. That is false.

Update:

25 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Does Bowness not want a head coaching job? 

I wonder. I thought he always did a great job in Ottawa when he had a brutal cast of characters to work with, they seemed to be able to compete more than their records could show, pretty good with the Bruins as well.

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

I wonder. I thought he always did a great job in Ottawa when he had a brutal cast of characters to work with, they seemed to be able to compete more than their records could show, pretty good with the Bruins as well.

How could he possibly be any worse than Randy freaken Carlyle 

8 hours ago, LaBamba said:

How could he possibly be any worse than Randy freaken Carlyle 

You mean the guy that won a Stanley Cup and, although the Leafs are garbage, managed to be the only coach in the last 11 years to take them to the playoffs?

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

You mean the guy that won a Stanley Cup and, although the Leafs are garbage, managed to be the only coach in the last 11 years to take them to the playoffs?

Yes, we are talking about the same guy. What I'm implying is that a guy like Bowness deserves a shot if he wants it. 

On an unrelated note, why does Rick Bowness remind me of Pat Sajak from wheel of fortune? Does anyone else feel the same way?

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Yes, we are talking about the same guy. What I'm implying is that a guy like Bowness deserves a shot if he wants it. 

On an unrelated note, why does Rick Bowness remind me of Pat Sajak from wheel of fortune? Does anyone else feel the same way?

It's interesting, actually. I was listening to TSN1290 last week, and they were discussing Rick Bowness and his years of Associate Coaching. Long story short, apparently the best coarse of action for he, or any other AC in the NHL to prove they have the want and drive to get a Head Coaching job is to go down to the AHL and get a few years of Head Coaching there. For instance. Pascal Vincent has been an AC for 5 years in the NHL, and has since gone down from the Jets to the Moose as their Head Coach, as he wants to get an NHL job at some point.

While Bowness has history of being an NHL Head Coach, it has been a long time since this has happened. Either he knows his strength at this point and knows he's more effective as an Associate, or he just doesn't have the desire to Head Coach anymore.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

It's interesting, actually. I was listening to TSN1290 last week, and they were discussing Rick Bowness and his years of Associate Coaching. Long story short, apparently the best coarse of action for he, or any other AC in the NHL to prove they have the want and drive to get a Head Coaching job is to go down to the AHL and get a few years of Head Coaching there. For instance. Pascal Vincent has been an AC for 5 years in the NHL, and has since gone down from the Jets to the Moose as their Head Coach, as he wants to get an NHL job at some point.

While Bowness has history of being an NHL Head Coach, it has been a long time since this has happened. Either he knows his strength at this point and knows he's more effective as an Associate, or he just doesn't have the desire to Head Coach anymore.

I would assume he is still scared from his Ottawa Senators experience. I thought he did a really good job with what he had. He is on a self made list I have of guys I think need to be given a shot at head coaching again

1. Ralph Krueger was the only coach to give life to this joke of an Oilers team. 

2. Rick Bowness cause he dominates as a AC

3. Kevin Constantine he got a lot out of a young shark team that pulled the biggest upset in NHL playoff history. Has been successful all over Europe and the AHL since then but he is kind of a spaz and people are afraid of that. 

11 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I would assume he is still scared from his Ottawa Senators experience. I thought he did a really good job with what he had. He is on a self made list I have of guys I think need to be given a shot at head coaching again

1. Ralph Krueger was the only coach to give life to this joke of an Oilers team. 

2. Rick Bowness cause he dominates as a AC

3. Kevin Constantine he got a lot out of a young shark team that pulled the biggest upset in NHL playoff history. Has been successful all over Europe and the AHL since then but he is kind of a spaz and people are afraid of that. 

I actually know Ralph Krueger quite well. Incredibly, incredibly nice guy. But also, very smart. Felt terrible for him that he was canned from the Oilers. While they were still bad, he coached them to their best season (to 7th worst, when they ended up drafting Nurse). But that's the best finish they've had in years. They showed improvement in the one season they gave him. Just ridiculous.

Obviously I'm biased because I know him, but that Oilers team was run so, so poorly.

Archived