The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To Retire or To Not Retire #9

HKSR

Should the NHL retire Gordie Howe's jersey #9?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gretzky is quoted as stating that he would like the NHL to consider retiring Gordie Howe's #9 across the league. 

I wouldn't be totally against it.  There's 3 players in my mind that should/could have their jerseys retired across the league -- Gretzky (already done), Howe, and Orr.

There's Legends of Hockey, and then there's Gretzky, Howe, and Orr.

I don't think you can retire it just for Howe though, because Maurice Richard and Bobby Hull both wore it too and their impact on the game was huge. Especially Richard's in Quebec. I think its fine the way it is, with the individual teams having the number retired. Plus its a way more common number to wear than 99; I don't see why players can't honour Howe by continuing to wear it.

Nope. Doing that wouldn't add to Howe's legend as much as it would take away from Gretzky's.

There was only one Gretzky, and no one else dared wear the number even before it was retired league-wide. Whereas #9 is quite common.

I think the NHL should look at retiring 66. Only one player in the NHL has worn it since Lemieux retired, and that was TJ Brodie for a few games back in 2011. Changed it to #7 pretty quickly.

5 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Well, then they should retire Messier and Jagr's numbers as well. Both scored more points in fewer games than Howe.

Jagr despite his scoring...which is impressive...couldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Howe when it came to the greats of the game.  Howe ruled all aspects of the game in his day.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Gretzky is quoted as stating that he would like the NHL to consider retiring Gordie Howe's #9 across the league. 

I wouldn't be totally against it.  There's 3 players in my mind that should/could have their jerseys retired across the league -- Gretzky (already done), Howe, and Orr.

There's Legends of Hockey, and then there's Gretzky, Howe, and Orr.

I'm against "Retiring Numbers" league wide. I think the only teams that retire numbers are team's which feel that player's number should never be worn again because the player was a defining member of their organization. 

Now honouring a player league wide and putting his number up, I'm all for that. I'd love to see a No. 9 Howe next to Bure. 

I'm all good that the NHL retired #99. Gretzky was on a completely different level than any player who played the game, and besides, #99 is kind of gaudy and no one should wear it anyway. Retire #69 while they're at it. I'd also be onboard with retiring #66. One of those numbers that no one wears anyway. Lemieux was pretty good too <_<

Too many greats wore #9, can't dedicate that number to just one player.  

I'm voting no. I don't think Gretzky's number should even be retired quite frankly. Let the players pay homage to their favourite players by letting them wear their numbers. Teams retiring numbers, that's a lot different then the league retiring a number. 

Archived