Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Boeser's value in this draft.


Recommended Posts

To make myself clear, I DO NOT want to trade Boeser. I am NOT advocating trading Boeser. Just a fun discussion.

He is by far my favorite prospect. Their is nothing not to like about this kid.

He had a stellar year and I have no issue saying he will be a #1RW in the NHL. 

We drafted him 23rd last year, steal of the draft.

 

 

For me, right now he is worth at minimum the #5 pick (yes I get that we have the #5 already). A massive jump from #23, I know. This is what good progress and an extra year of development is worth.

 

I would not trade him for Calgary's #6, and honestly would struggle trading him for the #5 as he's a year ahead of Dubois with similar upside. I think Boeser is more skilled/pure scorer than Dubois. Dubois plays a heavier game with a slight edge in intangibles. Both are good 200 foot players.

Tkachuk had a better WJC than Boeser, but I also think he was given a better opportunity. Tkachuk is a 9 1/2 months younger than Brock. Boeser took off after that tournament.

 

My question is:

What pick in the 2016 draft, would it take to pry Boeser from us right now and why? If not the #, tell me the player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't include Boeser in a trade that would swap us up into 2nd or 3rd even though that would probably be enough to at least move into the #3 spot.  He is the only player we have that has a ceiling of being a first line player.  Taking him away to add another player who "might" have a slightly higher ceiling doesn't help us.

 

He is probably worth a top 5 pick though on his own as he is a year farther along in his development and continues to show his future capability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wouldn't include Boeser in a trade that would swap us up into 2nd or 3rd even though that would probably be enough to at least move into the #3 spot.  He is the only player we have that has a ceiling of being a first line player.  Taking him away to add another player who "might" have a slightly higher ceiling doesn't help us.

 

He is probably worth a top 5 pick though on his own as he is a year farther along in his development and continues to show his future capability.

You wouldn't trade Boeser for Laine if that option was available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fateless said:

You wouldn't trade Boeser for Laine if that option was available?

I wouldn't trade Boeser for Laine AND our 5th overall (I said to swap our picks)

 

I would trade Boeser for Laine straight up for sure, I would even trade him straight up for the #3 pick.

 

Laine < Boeser + Tkachuk/Dubois/Puulujarvi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I wouldn't include Boeser in a trade that would swap us up into 2nd or 3rd even though that would probably be enough to at least move into the #3 spot.  He is the only player we have that has a ceiling of being a first line player.  Taking him away to add another player who "might" have a slightly higher ceiling doesn't help us.

 

He is probably worth a top 5 pick though on his own as he is a year farther along in his development and continues to show his future capability.

I don't believe at all he is worth one of the big 3, but after that it get's to be a tough deal.

As a father of teenage kids, from what I see, he is the type of kid you want your son to be. I would HATE to lose him, similarily for the same reasons i would hate to lose Horvat.

It is amazing what a year can do for a players value. It was a blessing we took that late as if we picked from 10-20 last year, there is a great chance we draft a lesser player.

Jim Benning, Brock Boeser, and a little bit of luck deserve a lot of credit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would trade Boeser and the 5th for Laine AAAAAAANNNY DAY!

 

I value Boeser as our Number 1 prospect and think he will be a number 1 or 2 line winger in the league.

But he is probably around 2-3 years away from stepping in, even if he comes in right from College.

There is also that issue that he might not sign with the Canuck's when he graduates. (don't think that will be a problem though) 

 

Laine can step in tomorrow and play with the Sedins. 

I would overpay severely to get Laine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The top 3 picks are ahead of Boeser, Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi.  Those teams won't trade those picks for Boeser.  However the 4 pick and lower I think is where you would start talking.  I think I would trade Boeser for Dubois straight up, but probably not Tkachuk.  So I would say if I were the Canucks hypothetically speaking Boeser would be ranked at 5 in this draft at the highest point,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a tough sell. Winnipeg isn't going to give up a 6'4, potential 40+ goal scorer when their prospect pool is the way it is. 

Their team is heavy, the addition of Laine will drastically improve them right away which I think a lot of teams want. 

 

The price we'd have to pay would be sacrificing 1st-3rd line depth for the next 3 years. 

 

I'd be more willing to move our pick at 5, to 9-11 range, with conditional prospects or picks.

 

Also after doing a bit more research, I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of drafting Brown. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy christ! 

 

There always has to be a whipping boy (Vey) and there always has to be a "Cody" (Boeser)

 

You know what he's worth? To the rest of the league? wait for it................A LATE 1st

 

Exactly what we used to get him, this kid is not blue chipper everyone seems to have decided he is, and his odds of success are no greater the Jordan Scheader's were,

 

Boeser is not on any GM's radar, and no one is giving us a top 10 pick for him.

 

Trade him for a top 5 pick!?!?! AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thought of Laine in a Canucks uniform is very intriguing, he is (and will be) an incredible player in this league. It's also a little unsettling that Boeser hasn't signed with the Canucks yet. There is a slim possibility that we could lose him? I doubt we will though, as he's shown very strong character. But to trade Boeser and Dubois/Tkachuk for one player seems steep to me. 

 

1) ? - Horvat - Laine

OR

2) Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser

 

I think I'd pick door #2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

The top 3 picks are ahead of Boeser, Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi.  Those teams won't trade those picks for Boeser.  However the 4 pick and lower I think is where you would start talking.  I think I would trade Boeser for Dubois straight up, but probably not Tkachuk.  So I would say if I were the Canucks hypothetically speaking Boeser would be ranked at 5 in this draft at the highest point,

I'd say that's about right.  5th to 7th in my books. 

I'd consider trading him but only for a smoking return.  As mentioned, he is our only prospect who appears to have the potential as a first line player.  If he can continue his success into the NHL, I'm fairly confident he will get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, terrible.dee said:

Holy christ! 

 

There always has to be a whipping boy (Vey) and there always has to be a "Cody" (Boeser)

 

You know what he's worth? To the rest of the league? wait for it................A LATE 1st

 

Exactly what we used to get him, this kid is not blue chipper everyone seems to have decided he is, and his odds of success are no greater the Jordan Scheader's were,

 

Boeser is not on any GM's radar, and no one is giving us a top 10 pick for him.

 

Trade him for a top 5 pick!?!?! AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

 

why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

terrible.dee - I supposed you've performed a lie detector test on every GM in the league to determine if they're at all interested in Boeser. Whether he/she likes it or not, Boeser's value did go up and we got a very good one at #23. I'm not sure Boeser is worth a top 5 pick, but I would think top 10. Gillis drafted Schroeder too high IMO.

 

(Last played year in college)

#23 - Boeser - 6'1" 191 (60 pts in 42 games +45 at UofND)

#22 - Schroeder - 5'9" 176 (28 points in 37 games at UofMinny)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Holy christ! 

 

There always has to be a whipping boy (Vey) and there always has to be a "Cody" (Boeser)

 

You know what he's worth? To the rest of the league? wait for it................A LATE 1st

 

Exactly what we used to get him, this kid is not blue chipper everyone seems to have decided he is, and his odds of success are no greater the Jordan Scheader's were,

 

Boeser is not on any GM's radar, and no one is giving us a top 10 pick for him.

 

Trade him for a top 5 pick!?!?! AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

This is the same as saying Provorov is only worth a 7th. It's just not true.

 

This is the exact reason why I am willing to overpay for Provorov.

 

You are beyond wrong TD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The thought of Laine in a Canucks uniform is very intriguing, he is (and will be) an incredible player in this league. It's also a little unsettling that Boeser hasn't signed with the Canucks yet. There is a slim possibility that we could lose him? I doubt we will though, as he's shown very strong character. But to trade Boeser and Dubois/Tkachuk for one player seems steep to me. 

 

1) ? - Horvat - Laine

OR

2) Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser

 

I think I'd pick door #2

You're probably correct, but it is worth considering....that tells you how good most think Laine is (myself very included)

 

I'd trade #5 and Demko for Laine though. Winnipeg has a good G prospect, but I'm just saying that's how much I value Laine.

Winnipeg still doesn't accept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

* WARNING, I advise wearing protection while watching this, and taking a long shower after as this is pure filthy hockey porn*

I've seen this video many times, and each time it leaves me salivating like it did the first time.

I see Laine's shot in Boeser.

The goal at 1min is just sick, along with all of the rest really. That shot and that skill translates to any league in my belief.

We don't have a player like this in our system, and Dubois/Tkachuk are more similar to what we already have.

After thinking about it more, it takes Puljujarvi to pry this kid and everything he offers as a whole, from us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...