The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Leafs put Cowen on waivers for purpose of buyout.

Fall from grace for a first round pick..

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-place-cowen-on-waivers-for-buyout-1.508244

The Toronto Maple Leafs placed defenceman Jared Cowen on waivers on Wednesday for the purposes of buying him out.

Cowen was acquired from the Ottawa Senators in the Dion Phaneuf trade in February.

The 25-year-old was subsequently placed on waivers but not picked up by another NHL team.

Cowen's buyout would be one-third of his $4.5 million salary or $1.5 million spread out over two years or twice the number of years remaining on the contract.

The move opens up $650,000 in cap space for next season but will cost them $750,000 in cap room for the 2017-18 season.

The 2009 first round pick played parts of six seasons with the Senators, scoring 15 goals and adding 31 assists for 46 points in 249 games.

Latest NHL Videos

I remember when Cowen was going to be the next big defenseman. There was so much hype surrounding him. Him and Karlsson were gonna lead Ottawa for years. What a fall from grace. Anybody know what went wrong with him? 

5 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Seems like a JB type of player. He's definitely not an NHL caliber skater but with his size and physicality he could be useful here in the West.

I wonder how much his hip injury has been a factor over the past few years? Seems like it's been hampering him and maybe he's never properly recovered?

There was a time when this kid was an NHL regular and played 20 minutes a night. And he's sure fallen off since then.

If he was given a clean bill of health, I could see us possibly signing him on the cheap (like something in the ~$1 million range) and then exposing him to waivers (unless he absolutely stood out at training camp). If he cleared, we could give him a year of AHL development playing high minutes and see if he can get his game back on track.

However, it's more likely a team like Edmonton signs him for their 2016-17 NHL roster (and at a much higher salary than I'd be willing to offer).

I'd sign him as a Utica/call up guy to replace a guy like Taylor Fedun or Bobby Sanguetti. Though, I'm sure other teams will be lining up to sign him to a similar contract. Could see the Oilers or Stars also giving him a shot as a #7 or #8 d-man next year too. Still has potential and size, he just doesn't fit the mold to be a top 4 guy and that's ok but he can still be a dependable bottom pairing guy if put in the right situation.

39 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Cody Hodgson is a better skater than this guy. I can't believe there was a proposal to trade for him not so long ago 

Tis a shame the Canucks franchise went down the tubes the moment they traded their future's cornerstone. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Meh. Look at the player drafted one spot ahead of him. Being a first round selection is not a guarantee for success. 

but the 7 above Glennie are doing pretty good and a few after Cowen as well..its never a guarantee..crap shoot at best...but you would think at 9 he would have something going.

but that 1st round has a couple of players we know well.Kassian and Schroeder

7 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

but the 7 above Glennie are doing pretty good and a few after Cowen as well..its never a guarantee..crap shoot at best...but you would think at 9 he would have something going.

but that 1st round has a couple of players we know well.Kassian and Schroeder

I distinctly recall some draft pundits saying Vancouver got an absolute steal in Schroeder (who was ranked the 5th best North American skater in that class). 

His first few seasons he was pretty darn decent, I wonder why he fell out of favour? 

Contract has a lot to do with it, maybe injuries, his skating has not really improved but if you are 6 5 with that reach its all about positioning

I wouldnt mind giving this kid a tryout, he is still young

Archived