The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Alex Goligoski's rights to Coyotes

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- Arizona Coyotes General Manager John Chayka announced today that the Coyotes have acquired the negotiating rights to pending free agent defenseman Alex Goligoski from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a fifth round draft choice in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. The Coyotes can negotiate with Goligoski until July 1. If a new contract isn't reached with Goligoski before that date, the 30-year-old defenseman would become an unrestricted free agent.

Last season, the 5-foot-11, 185 pound defenseman played in all 82 games for the Stars, recording 5-32-37, 34 penalty minutes and was a plus-21. Goligoski ranked seventh on the Stars in scoring and was second among all Stars’ defensemen in points. He also played in 13 playoff games with the Stars, registering 4-3-7 and 6 penalty minutes.

In 562 career NHL games with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Dallas Stars, the native of Grand Rapid, Minnesota has collected 55-222-277 and 200 penalty minutes. Goligoski was drafted by the Penguins in the second round (61st overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886262

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don't know why he wouldn't just wait 9 days to hear what other teams have to offer. I doubt Arizona is in a position to outbid anyone.

A lot of times the deal is done (essentially) before the pick is given up.

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'd do a 5th for early negotiation rights to Goligoski easily. I like the move by Arizona, though I'm not sure he'll sign there.

He's going to visit next week.  They know they have to do a sell job.

14 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Is that as much as what the Canucks could expect to get for Dan Hamhuis's negotiation rights?

Probably but considering what happened the last time he was a UFA I would not be trading for his rights if I were a GM.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Don't know why he wouldn't just wait 9 days to hear what other teams have to offer. I doubt Arizona is in a position to outbid anyone.

Maybe that's the point....they may lay the red carpet on him.  You have to sell what you have, and they have a nice place.  I like the thinking....I wonder if they'll have CanucksArmy calling them folksy neanderthals for this.

Archived