The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching shuffle

darkpoet

With Gulutzan now gone what do you guys think should be done with our bench?
I heard Green has stated that he's not interested in an assistant position at the NHL level and would rather hold out for a head coaching job.
Lidster is *gud, and I think with a few more (better) options at D this season he'll have more to work with.

So who's out there that would make a great assistant for Willie?

I think this decision is more important now that it has been in a long time for this team, considering how young it is, and how much pressure is gonna be on Willie this year.

Not related to an assistant per se but i would sure like to see Malhotra back here to teach some of these kids how to win a faceoff. Cloutier I'm not sold on (yet), but he can probably teach our up and coming goalies how to throw a decent overhand right. 

Could be fun times around the team dinner table? :lol:

Our power play is a disgrace.

What's Dave Andreychuk up to? Nobody has ever scored more on the PP than him. Maybe lure the dude away from Florida (seems to be a theme) and get him up here to straighten out that mess.

16 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I heard Green has stated that he's not interested in an assistant position at the NHL level and would rather hold out for a head coaching job.
Lidster is *gud, and I think with a few more (better) options at D this season he'll have more to work with.

I think this decision is more important now that it has been in a long time for this team, considering how young it is, and how much pressure is gonna be on Willie this year.

Not related to an assistant per se but i would sure like to see Malhotra back here to teach some of these kids how to win a faceoff. Cloutier I'm not sold on (yet), but he can probably teach our up and coming goalies how to throw a decent overhand right. 

That is unfortunate if Green isn't willing to take a NHL assistant job. You think that is almost a mandatory progression. 

On the other hand, I would trade a Desjardins for a Green right now straight across.

while i like the idea of Malhotra coming back and teaching kids how to win face-offs .  I jut dont think it works like that . 

winning a face-off has more to do with strength and speed , than it does learning a certain techniqe ..  I know learning the techniqe is helpful but you cant learn strength and agility .

24 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Is that travis green our coach? This will be quite the team in a few years. Blood must have blood

1 minute ago, Lulover88 said:

while i like the idea of Malhotra coming back and teaching kids how to win face-offs .  I jut dont think it works like that . 

winning a face-off has more to do with strength and speed , than it does learning a certain techniqe ..  I know learning the techniqe is helpful but you cant learn strength and agility .

did you happen to watch the Penguins in the playoffs this year? (specifically the Final?)

winning faceoffs is ALL about technique, which includes timing. those are things you can teach.

There will be lots of good candidates, Maholtra would be great in assistant coaching role..

Would like to see Dave Lowry come back and be a assistant coach for us..Dave has been coaching Royals in WHL

and doing a great job winning coach of year 2 of the 3 years here in Victoria...

Dave was assistant coach with Calgary Flames before he took over coaching Calgary Hitmen and now last 3yrs in Victoria..

59 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

Yes you can, it's called training.

41 minutes ago, wildcam said:

There will be lots of good candidates, Maholtra would be great in assistant coaching role..

Would like to see Dave Lowry come back and be a assistant coach for us..Dave has been coaching Royals in WHL

and doing a great job winning coach of year 2 of the 3 years here in Victoria...

Dave was assistant coach with Calgary Flames before he took over coaching Calgary Hitmen and now last 3yrs in Victoria..

It's just a matter of time before some NHL team picks up Lowry.  

Archived