Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver-Columbus


Recommended Posts

I wont deny that I wanted the Canucks to do the rebuild differently. I believe that the mandate from ownership seems contrary to that notion. So with that said I think this proposal might be a way to get the Canucks back into the mix.

 

To Vancouver:

Scott Hartnell

 

To Columbus:

Ryan Miller

 

My reasoning is rather simple. Miller hasn't done anything remarkable in his time here. He isn't worth the 6M salary he is being paid. Hartnell may have a high salary but he has averaged over 50 points over the last 3 seasons.

 

Why would Columbus do this trade? Because they get out of paying Hartnell for 3 more years and they also no longer have to use a protection slot on him due to his NMC. After this trade Columbus promptly buys out the last year on Miller's contract. Miller waives his NTC as he gets paid the buyout amount and he gets to chase a Cup or get Calgary or Toronto to pay him on his new contract. 

 

Hartnell waives for Vancouver as no other contending team wants him at that price and having to protect him in the draft.

 

After this hopefully we can convince a UFA winger to come here and run with a  lineup of...

 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Hartnell-Sutter-Okposo/Eriksson

Baerstchi-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Granlund-Burrows

Etem/Vey

 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Sbisa

Biega

 

Markstrom

UFA backup

 

This is just for illustrating depth, you can change up the lines as you see fit.

 

Can this lineup win the Cup? Probably not but if we are going for it then maybe it might do some damage in the playoffs. I know there are question marks here. The biggest being Markstrom but to me if you are going for it you do it by taking big risks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see Hartnell waiving to come here no problem. 

I don't see Miller waiving to go to CBJ however, even if it is just to be bought out to be UFA. 

Hopefully,  JB trades Miller to a playoff team at the TDL  - then most of his vacated salary could be used to resign the UFA Markstrom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

miller's wife works in california...he has given a list of 5 teams he would agree to go to...i imagine they are all close to california...

LA, ana, sj, ariz, maybe colorado or dallas...they would have to protect both hartnell and ericksson along with the sedins..horvat, sutter, leaving only one more spot left...i'ld rather see brouwer than hartnell...one less nmc. i don't see why we need either of them...especially if virtanen is ready for prime time next year...the following year, virt could move to the left side of dubois and boeser...the heir apparent to the sedins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miller isn't going anywhere, especially to the wilds of Columbus.  But I like where your head is at.  This could be an excellent option to trade Sbisa, He's tough to play against, plays a physical game, and Torts would be all over that.  Both have the same term left on their contracts, but Sbisa's is less per year, allowing a little bit of wiggle room.  

 

Really want to get something done, Rychel, and Clarkson for Sbisa + pick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't care for this idea, and couldn't see it happening.

 

1) CBJ need to LOSE cap.  I appreciate this helps them in the following 2 years, but doesn't help them now, when they need it.

2) Who would be our backup?  Besides Markstrom, we don't have NHL ready goalies yet.  We'd have to get a backup for at least a year.

3) Someone mentioned that if we trade with them, we need the #3 coming back.  I agree.

4) Have they given up on Bobrovsky, and do they need another goalie?  I know he had an unremarkable season, but prior to that he was very good for the last 3 seasons.  Besides that, Korpisalo played well for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't care for this idea, and couldn't see it happening.

 

1) CBJ need to LOSE cap.  I appreciate this helps them in the following 2 years, but doesn't help them now, when they need it.

2) Who would be our backup?  Besides Markstrom, we don't have NHL ready goalies yet.  We'd have to get a backup for at least a year.

3) Someone mentioned that if we trade with them, we need the #3 coming back.  I agree.

4) Have they given up on Bobrovsky, and do they need another goalie?  I know he had an unremarkable season, but prior to that he was very good for the last 3 seasons.  Besides that, Korpisalo played well for them.

He's suggesting they immediately buy him out (so the trade would have to be right now to take advantage of the buy out window which started last week if it's still on), not keep him to use for next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Toews said:

I wont deny that I wanted the Canucks to do the rebuild differently. I believe that the mandate from ownership seems contrary to that notion. So with that said I think this proposal might be a way to get the Canucks back into the mix.

 

To Vancouver:

Scott Hartnell

 

To Columbus:

Ryan Miller

 

My reasoning is rather simple. Miller hasn't done anything remarkable in his time here. He isn't worth the 6M salary he is being paid. Hartnell may have a high salary but he has averaged over 50 points over the last 3 seasons.

 

Why would Columbus do this trade? Because they get out of paying Hartnell for 3 more years and they also no longer have to use a protection slot on him due to his NMC. After this trade Columbus promptly buys out the last year on Miller's contract. Miller waives his NTC as he gets paid the buyout amount and he gets to chase a Cup or get Calgary or Toronto to pay him on his new contract. 

 

Hartnell waives for Vancouver as no other contending team wants him at that price and having to protect him in the draft.

 

After this hopefully we can convince a UFA winger to come here and run with a  lineup of...

 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Hartnell-Sutter-Okposo/Eriksson

Baerstchi-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Granlund-Burrows

Etem/Vey

 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Sbisa

Biega

 

Markstrom

UFA backup

 

This is just for illustrating depth, you can change up the lines as you see fit.

 

Can this lineup win the Cup? Probably not but if we are going for it then maybe it might do some damage in the playoffs. I know there are question marks here. The biggest being Markstrom but to me if you are going for it you do it by taking big risks. 

When did we become contenders?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

He's suggesting they immediately buy him out (so the trade would have to be right now to take advantage of the buy out window which started last week if it's still on), not keep him to use for next season.

Ah, I see.  Missed that.

 

Still don't see it happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

Very NBA like trade, I like it. However I don't see Miller waiving to Columbus. 

 

Question: After an NMC is traded is it still valid?

I am not sure whether a team has to honour a NTC/NMC after a player has waived it but for the expansion draft all NMCs count. 

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

When did we become contenders?

Poor wording on my part. Should have been "no contender".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

 ya im sure blue jackets want 12mill in goalie salaries lol how dumb is this proposal 

I can't even begin to fathom what it must feel like to be you. All I can say is sorry man, you were unfortunate enough to get dealt a bad hand... a really really bad hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 87Crosby said:

Very NBA like trade, I like it. However I don't see Miller waiving to Columbus. 

 

Question: After an NMC is traded is it still valid?

Not automatically. The team can agree to honour it beyond the trade (and it's probably a condition of the player waiving in the first place quite often) but they aren't required to. Technically it falls off once it's waived and then is reinstated by the new team if they do honour it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't feel like this is a sensible trade on either end. Columbus needs to shed cap, not gain cap. On our end, we're stuck hoping we can convince a UFA goalie to come here. If we can't get a UFA goalie, we're stuck with Bachman or Maybe Garteig, or forced to make another trade. I think the only time you consider moving Miller is the deadline, and that's really only if we aren't in playoff contention. If we're in contention at the deadline, you ride it out and hope for the best, but ultimately lose Miller for nothing. Sadly, that's just the most sensible way for Benning to go about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...