The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offer Sheet Seth Jones

With CBJ tight to the cap and not many takers for their big contracts, I'm thinking a nice big fat ol' Offer-sheet for Jones would help our blueline for many years to come.

Especially with essentially no big name D prospects in next year's draft. We still get CBJs 2nd so we can stand to lose that too and the 3rd can be made up elsewhere.

How bout $6.5mil/7yrs

Cost.....1st/2nd/3rd

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Jones

Git'er dun

8 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

With CBJ tight to the cap and not many takers for their big contracts, I'm thinking a nice big fat ol' Offer-sheet for Jones would help our blueline for many years to come.

Especially with essentially no big name D prospects in next year's draft. We still get CBJs 2nd so we can stand to lose that too and the 3rd can be made up elsewhere.

How bout $6.5mil/7yrs

Cost.....1st/2nd/3rd

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Jones

Git'er dun

Waste of time.  

6 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Jones wont be lost to an offer sheet.  Just making enemies and asking for someone to do the same to us when the opportunity arises.

I see this argument a lot. Offer sheets are a tool in the CBA and should be used. If you're worried about how the other GMs view Vancouver, go back and look at the retroactive clause they stuck us with for the Luongo contract. There are no buddies or goodwill with the GMs. 

If we were planning to trade Tanev e.g, to EDM for the #4 then sure go ahead and offer sheet for Jones. But the addition of GudBranson makes it tough to offer sheet Jones without moving out a major D piece, he's going to be a top pairing guy. 

Prior to the trade for GudB I was thinking about an offer sheet for Jones, but now this might be a good way to pick up a RFA winger instead. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I see this argument a lot. Offer sheets are a tool in the CBA and should be used. If you're worried about how the other GMs view Vancouver, go back and look at the retroactive clause they stuck is with for the Luongo contract. There are no buddies or goodwill with the GMs. 

If we were planning to trade Tanev e.g, to EDM for the #4 then sure go ahead and offer sheet for Jones. But the addition of GudBranson makes it tough to offer sheet Jones without moving out a major D piece, he's going to be a top pairing guy. 

Its not an argument.  Would we let someone offer sheet a young player like Jones that we just gave up our #1C for if we were in cap trouble?  

ummmmm No.  

We'd find another way to make it work.

Its purely a waste of time.

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You want to spend 6.5 million a year on Jones then put him on the 3rd pairing? Interesting....

Obviously he can slot in anywhere up and down the chart.....but thanks that YOU pointed that out.

Here is why I would do this.....

There isn't much honor among the GM'S.  There are many articles supporting this as BJ's own reporters are saying that the team must clear space for of being offer-sheeted. 

6.5 for a 21yr old D that is already logging 20+ minutes of ice-time. At this stage 6.5 is alot but in year 4 when he IS a top pairing D, that 6.5 will be looking pretty sweet. He, like Gudbranson can rip the puck but if he can actually hit the net, he can be dangerous with Hutton feeding him soft passes.

And here is my take on coughing up 3 picks for this guy.

....it's not like in the past where we cough up 2-2nds for an Eric Weinrich or Smolinski.....again this is a 21yr old D that is already a factor

I also bet that if this actually DID go down, that ALL of you naysayers would be drooling over yourselves in glee

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I accept the idea, but Columbus would just match.  What's the purpose then?

Would they? They had a young #1 center and had a hard time budging over $4.5

With them being so close to the cap....it's hard to see them being able to match and also be able to assemble the rest of their team. That includes the entry level contracts of guys coming up from the minors

10 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Would they? They had a young #1 center and had a hard time budging over $4.5

With them being so close to the cap....it's hard to see them being able to match and also be able to assemble the rest of their team. That includes the entry level contracts of guys coming up from the minors

I accept all that, but they would still match.  They do have two dead NMC contracts in Hartnell, and Clarkson.  I could see us taking one of those in a trade involving the third pick.  

Archived