The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vincent Lecavalier announces retirement

Vincent Lecavalier, who played for 17 years in the NHL and won a Stanley Cup, officially announced his retirement on Tuesday.

Lecavalier first announced his decision to retire at the end of the 2015-16 season when he was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in January, and he reiterated his plans as recently as April.

"I recently informed the Kings that I am stepping away from the game and will no longer play professional hockey," Lecavalier said in a statement. "It is my desire and intention to retire.

"Hockey has provided me so much in my lifetime but requires an incredible commitment. It is now time for me to devote more time to my family."

The San Jose Sharks eliminated the Kings from the playoffs in the first round.

The 36-year-old forward scored 949 points and won the Stanley Cup in 2004 during a career that began with the Tampa Bay Lightning, who made him the No. 1 pick in the 1998 draft. A dangerous scorer with a physical presence on the ice, he won the Maurice Richard Trophy as the NHL's top goal scorer while racking up a career-high 108 points during the 2006-07 season.

He signed with the Philadelphia Flyers in 2013 but struggled mightily with his new team. He eventually spent long stretches as a healthy scratch.

He agreed to a trade in January to the Kings, who offered him playing time on a contending team. He had 10 goals and seven assists in 42 games while playing a valuable two-way role for Los Angeles.

"Hockey is the greatest team sport in the world," Lecavalier said in his statement. "There is nothing like sharing a locker room with your teammates and competing together day in and day out. I have made lifelong friends and I'd like to thank them for making this an unforgettable journey."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16394214/los-angeles-kings-forward-vincent-lecavalier-officially-retires

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Great player. Came into the league with hype so high that it always seemed to have given him an extra pressure. But in the end, he built a pretty solid career for himself.

Having to play under a tyrant didn't help either.

33 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Didn't see it written anywhere but I heard he snubbed the flyers and thanks lightning and Kings organization

No mention of the Flyers - he thanks the Kings for allowing him to finish his career on a positive note.  From the Kings' website:

Lecavalier’s announcement:  As I publicly announced at the time I was traded to the Los Angeles Kings, the 2015/16 season would be my last in the NHL.  I recently informed the Kings that I am stepping away from the game and will no longer play professional hockey.  It is my desire and intention to retire.

Hockey has provided me so much in my lifetime but requires an incredible commitment.  It is now time for me to devote more time to my family.  

I want to take this opportunity to thank the people who have helped me along the way and shared this journey with me.   First and foremost, I would like to thank my parents, my wife, Caroline, my brother Philippe, sister Genevieve and my entire family.  I could not have accomplished anything without your love and support.  Thank you to the Tampa Bay Lightning for drafting me and providing me the opportunity to embark on my NHL career.  I will never forget winning the Cup together in 2004, and the incredible support from Lightning fans.  To the LA Kings, thank you for providing me the opportunity to finish my career on a positive note.  To the coaches who have developed me and challenged me - you made me a better player and person.  To my agent, Kent Hughes, thank you for all your efforts and support throughout my career.  

Hockey is the greatest team sport in the world.  There is nothing like sharing a locker room with your teammates and competing together day in and day out.  I have made lifelong friends and I’d like to thank them for making this an unforgettable journey…. Thank you 

7 hours ago, pluralsight said:

Great career. His retirement brings the beginning of the end of the stars that were dominant in the 2000s. Vinny, Iginla, Hossa, Thornton, Marleau and of course the Sedins all will likely retire in the next couple of years. 

This, it's gonna be weird.

Archived