The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Disscussion] TOTAL FANTASY THOUGHTS AND MOVES

Bored.

Canucks trade Tanev and Cassels for Edmonton's #4 and C, Drake Caggiula, Boser's line mate, or Draisaitl.
Trade CLJ's 2nd, Nucks #2 2017 and G prospect, Michael Garteig for CBJ's #3, Hartnell, and Tyutin
Trade #4 and 2017 3rd and 4th or Jake Virtanen to Arizona for their 1rst and Dylan Strome 
Draft JP @ #3
Draft Juolevi @ #5
Draft Logan Brown/Joust or another dman, Chychrun maybe even Dubios with @ #7

Sign Hamhuis to 4 yr 10 mil deal with modified NTC, 4 mil, 3 mil, 2 mil and 1 mil, easier to move in years 3 and 4.

The Nucks at this point my have to buyout Burrows and Higgins to create more cap space if needed but with all the kids in the lineup there might not be any problem.

Reasoning;

Tanev is that good defensively and that is what Edmonton really needs, a top four defenseman and his contract is very reasonable. His performance at the worlds turned a lot of heads increasing his value, Tanev is listed as one of the top "statistical" dmen in the league. This still leaves Edmonton able to trade RNH or whomever for another top 4 dman which would really change the look of their club and it's fortunes.

Columbus Blue jackets, can use another goalie prospect and a broken record here, money, money and cap space. Badly needed. The addition of draft picks puts a better light on the one sided trade.

Arizona, to get the second home town hero, Tkachuck, a Phoenix born player, they might move Strome because they can take another center at #20 and he hasn't been marketed all that much there yet and they still have very good center prospects and/or could use a big winger and ....money.

Edmonton will not want anything to do with Sbisa, they might want Hutton and if Edler is involved then they would want more in return, not only that but Edler does have a no trade clause he would have to wave and his going might upset the twins. 

For the Canucks,

Tanev would be missed but Hutton might be able to step into that role, the Nucks also have Stecher, Subban, Pedan, Tryamkin, Brisebois and any dmen they draft. There are also UFA's.
Moving Virtanen for Strome wouldn't be a stretch, another center but they can play wing and there is the second expansion to think about.

With Willie rotating lines fairly equally the #1 line could easily start off with the Sedins, but on any night be any of them and the Nucks then have three to four potential scoring lines, very difficult to play against. Willie is supposed to be a "teaching" coach and with all these players the competition for spots would be intensive.

For management, an easy sell, fans would flock to see these kids improve, the rebuild would be pretty much complete, only peripheral trades to be done but with high value assets. Definitely management would be getting new contracts. The team could trade the Sedins next year for picks and resign them the following year. The cupboards could be full.

The young guns on the Nucks then might look like;

Forwards;
Horvat, 21 yr old, 3rd year
Strome, 20 yr old, rookie or Dvorak

Puljujarvi, 18 yr old, rookie 
Draisaitl, 20 yr old, 2 nd year or Caggiula
Baerstchi - 23 yr old, 3rd year

Defence;
Juolevi 19 yr old rookie - likely in minors
Chyrchun 19 yr old rookie - likely in minors or Sergachev.
Hutton, 23 yr old 2 nd year
Tryamikin, 21 yr old rookie/2nd year

To compete in earnst and be a winner IMHO sign Lucic @ avg cap hit of 4 mil, 6 years 24 mil, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1. Easier to trade the cap hit near the end of the contract.

The team could look something like this;

Forwards - 39.625 mil 

Sedins - Lucic       -    18 mil
Hansen - Sutter - Puljujarvi - 7.875 mil
Baerstchi - Horvat - Hartnell - around 9.25 mil
Dorsett - Strome/Dvorak - Draisaitl/Caggiula - around 4.5 mil likely under

Defence - 19.5 mil

Edler - Gubranson - 8.5 mil
Hutton - Hamhuis - 3.5 mil, if Hamhuis re-signed 4 years for 10 mil with modified NTC, 2.5 mil cap hit.
Tryamkin - Tyutin - 5.5 mil
Pedan - Biega - 1.5 to 2 mil

Goalies - 7.6 mil

Miller - 6 mil
Markstrom - 1.6 mil

Burrows buyout - 2.5 mil
Higgins buyout - .833 mil 
Luongo - .8 mil

total cap hit - 23 players signed for a 70.6 mil, cap space = around 2 mil.

Of course the team would have other options, but they would have a kicka$$ farm team.
Grandlund, Etem, Kenins, three 2016 rookies, Demko.

Next season see's Boeser, Demko and any 2016 picks that make it.

Contracts expire at the right time, next year Miller, Tyutin 10 mil cap space, the next year the Sedins' 14 mil, Hartnell 4.75 mil, the buy outs come off the books, another 21 mil plus any cap increase, in two years the Nucks could be looking for a Subban skill level contract or the stud defenseman in a trade and re-sign the twins if wanting to.

7 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

lol....bored?.....shouldnt you be scouting and coaching and playing hockey along with watching your over 40,000 games?

you dont have time to be bored and hanging out on hockey forums son.

Sorry, I didn't mean to use such big words.:P

Store_and_Fishing_Pic_052_fullSize.jpg

44 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Canucks trade Tanev and Cassels for Edmonton's #4 and C, Drake Caggiula, Boser's line mate, or Draisaitl.

tumblr_o1vm8qL9XJ1r73lylo1_400.gif

A top 5 first rounder and Leon Draisaitl for Tanev and Cassels. Even in a fantasy world this is a horrendous trade for Edmonton on every level. I know Tanev is well regarded in Canucks circles but I guarantee the average hockey fan would have no idea who Tanev was if their favorite team were to acquire him. 

2 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

tumblr_o1vm8qL9XJ1r73lylo1_400.gif

A top 5 first rounder and Leon Draisaitl for Tanev and Cassels. Even in a fantasy world this is a horrendous trade for Edmonton on every level. I know Tanev is well regarded in Canucks circles but I guarantee the average hockey fan would have no idea who he was if his or her favorite team were to acquire Tanev. 

I would have thought so also but Edmonton forums don't seem to think trading the fourth pick for a top four defense man is a bad thing, most seem to think it is a good thing. Combined with the idea that Edmonton wants two top four dmen and rumour has it anyone is available except McDavid, well Tanev's salary is also a benefit. And then there is those statistics people that have him ranked as one of the best in the league.

It seems the words I used were still too big for some poster's, so I will try to make the statement about Edmonton easier to understand.

Edmonton needs and want top 4 defence men.

Currently they are offering RNH, Eberle, Draisaitl, Hall, well everyone except McDavid to get a top 2 dman.

Edmonton is willing to offer their #4 pick in getting one.

Edmonton uses statistics in player choices since the new management.

The sentence I used said OR, in it.

There sure are a lot of negative fans out there, either sadistic or masochistic. I'd say the masochists are revealing themselves.

I can understand the amazement that Draisaitl's name might be there, but........he was the upper end suggestion added on.

And league wide, Tanev is known a very good top 4 shut down defenceman with a good first pass.

Watching games.....1rst use fast forward, then pick out errors, use the four camera feeds for angles, put up on the four screens, review old games to see if any improvement, even skate blade angles, view PP, PK, goals, positions, line changes, time on ice, tenancies (some players don't cross over very well, some prefer forehand passes only, some "panic", some don't like to get hit, some are hiding injuries......)

Archived