The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Salary cap 73M for 2016/2017 season

AriGold

I'm sure everyone is happy with this.

Weird how pre lockout went from front loaded contracts, but decent cap hits and salary per year, to post lockout contracts being fairly even with little fluctuation, but outrageous cap hits and salary.

Parise, Suter, and Weber were the poster boys for their front loaded contracts, but they all have 7-7.5 mil cap hits, which was considered high, even for elite players at the time (and they were elite at this time). 

Now you have guys of Kyle Okposo's caliber going into free agency looking 7 mil per year. Hell Vanek made 7 mil this year.

As a fan of my teams, I'm fine with it. As a fan of the NHL, this could have been a perfect opportunity to open the eyes of GMs and owners and make them realize how much player contracts have been inflated and knock them back down to reality by lowering the cap.

Cheap methadone for these excessive crack addicts.

They'll set ice in another desert, just to keep this fantasy alive. The BOG, NHLPA & avg, delusional zombified payin' fan will keep these balls in the air, for just so long.

Will also be timed with TO's resurgence. They get extra goodies in trading any mediocre vet, to see this through. As the overall economy tanks, the league will ensure success in markets that return the most profit. It's survival-101.

This gives the Canucks currently 8.25 million in space and includes 13 forwards 7 defenders and 2 goalies.  Obviously this doesn't include what we are doing with Higgins and Burrows or includes Larssen

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Higgins

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Tryamkin

Biega

Miller

Markstrom

They didn't go on strike. They were locked out. Big difference. The owners, led by Bettman and a regiment of lawyers, wanted a bigger share of the revenue. Once they got it, the players settled.

A work stoppage was never about keeping costs down, it was about growing the overall revenue with the owners getting a bigger share of the proceeds. If anything, everyone is happy when costs are going up, as long as the money (preferably in US dollars) keeps rolling in.

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

...so why did the NHL/NHLPA go on strike again?

Seems like a two-step process.

A) Establish how the pie-chart is sliced. Essentially, which entities get how big a cut. Then...

b) How to keep the pie perpetually growing?

These two questions were likely leveraged off of each other.

The best ingredients(organic apples!) & hottest oven seems to be all up North of the 49th.

Yet the gluttonous pigs appear to be disproportionately filling their maws in the nation of lawyers.

I'll NEVER pay these f*ckers a red cent.

Not much of an increase, a lot of teams are going to be hurting and scrambling with this.

Chicago, even with the Bickell trade, still only have a little under 7 million with 16 guys set. Shaw is going to cost them 2.5 million I would think.

Should be some bargains available in the next few weeks.

39 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

This is to allow good teams to stay good while grossly over paying stars.

Escrow. What you see on CapGeek is not what they really make. As much as 15% is held back. 

It's 73 mill with the 5% escalator players kicked in. 

29 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Seems like a two-step process.

A) Establish how the pie-chart is sliced. Essentially, which entities get how big a cut. Then...

b) How to keep the pie perpetually growing?

These two questions were likely leveraged off of each other.

The best ingredients(organic apples!) & hottest oven seems to be all up North of the 49th.

Yet the gluttonous pigs appear to be disproportionately filling their maws in the nation of lawyers.

I'll NEVER pay these f*ckers a red cent.

You realize that by using this site you will provide advertising revenue...

54 minutes ago, mpt said:

This gives the Canucks currently 8.25 million in space and includes 13 forwards 7 defenders and 2 goalies.  Obviously this doesn't include what we are doing with Higgins and Burrows or includes Larssen

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Higgins

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Tryamkin

Biega

Miller

Markstrom

TSN said we have 9.50 mil cap space..I dont know how accurate that is  and Ottawa has over 19 mil....what is going on there?

2 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

You realize that by using this site you will provide advertising revenue...

Yes, & despite my greying top I've invested my TIME into these diminishing returns. We're all a lil' bit pregnant, & most all of us automatically abort 95% of the good ideas we ever conceive...

Archived