The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Marcus Johansson could be moved

Marcus Johansson's future in Washington is uncertain. Yesterday the club's GM Brian MacLellan hinted that the Swede's rights may be traded.

- Those who are similar to Marcus are getting paid higher than what we are comfortable with, he told the AP.

He has been faithful to the Washington Capitals ever since he went over to North America to earn a place in the NHL. But the question is whether Marcus Johansson will have room to stay.

The Swede signed a contract a year ago, worth $ 3.75 million, and expires June 30. Marcus Johansson is a restricted free agent, and thus Washington has the ability to trade the rights to negotiate with him to another club.

ESPN's Craig Custance wrote on twitter yesterday that Capital's getting calls about the Swede, but their priority is still to sign the Swede for next season. AP said general manager Brian MacLellan, however, that they can choose to release Johansson.

- He has pretty good stats, and they are comparable to those who have a higher salary than what we are comfortable giving, said MacLellan.

MacLellan has also said that he is aiming for next season is to upgrade forwards 7-12.

Marcus Johansson scored 17 goals and had 29 assists in 74 games. He tends to get around those point totals. During his five full NHL seasons, he has noticed scored 27, 46, 44, 47, and 46 points.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/06/22/svensken-kan-trejdas-inom-kort-kan-fa-en-hogre-lon-an-vi-ar-bekvama-med/

Hope my translation is good enough. He could prove too expensive for the caps to keep and they will be looking to get a defensive minded center in FA. Plenty of names available. Some team out there could get a talented player in Johansson. 

David Legwand, Paul Gaustad, Darren Helm, and Boyd Gordon could all be options for them. 

Feels like he has decent number because he was playing on an offensive team.  Probably looking at 5M$ to sign him, which is too much for my liking.

Not denying his skills but wonder if his game will actually improve if playing on an offensively challenge top 6.  Feel he's a player that need good players to produce.

The prices recently set for players of his caliber will see him netting between $4.35 million and $5.25 million

I've no doubts they'll be moving on 

This also brings in to question how viable positions will be for guys in their mid 30's the league is trying to move on from will still be available due to overpricing.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The prices recently set for players of his caliber will see him netting between $4.35 million and $5.25 million

I've no doubts they'll be moving on 

This also brings in to question how viable positions will be for guys in their mid 30's the league is trying to move on from will still be available due to overpricing.

If they're looking for a better defensive center I can see a guy like Boyd Gordon getting a job.

7 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

If they're looking for a better defensive center I can see a guy like Boyd Gordon getting a job.

I think over asking on contracts like we'll see from players like this as is rumoured will always leave the door open for aging players willing to take a shade less money

A couple of million is still a couple of million.

Just now, Warhippy said:

I think over asking on contracts like we'll see from players like this as is rumoured will always leave the door open for aging players willing to take a shade less money

A couple of million is still a couple of million.

Most definitely. I don't mind seeing the supporting-role guys (like Cizikas) make a little more money but it doesn't make much sense when the stars are starting to make 9+. I'm no capologist or anything but to me that's really not going to work.

Wonder how he'd look with the twins.

Maybe swap Hansen for him + their 1st or top prospect.  

Hansen's cap hit I'd much lower and would fit their speed game. I'm not fully sold on him but that's jbs job to look unto lol

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Wonder how he'd look with the twins.

Maybe swap Hansen for him + their 1st or top prospect.  

Hansen's cap hit I'd much lower and would fit their speed game. I'm not fully sold on him but that's jbs job to look unto lol

Hansen for Johansson AND a 1st?!

Are you high?

17 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/06/22/svensken-kan-trejdas-inom-kort-kan-fa-en-hogre-lon-an-vi-ar-bekvama-med/

Hope my translation is good enough. He could prove too expensive for the caps to keep and they will be looking to get a defensive minded center in FA. Plenty of names available. Some team out there could get a talented player in Johansson. 

David Legwand, Paul Gaustad, Darren Helm, and Boyd Gordon could all be options for them. 

Jannik Hansen would be perfect for them

and Canucks could ask for their 1st rounder back. It's a fair trade since  Hansen is comparable to Brouwer and he fetched a first rounder from Chicago when the Caps originally got him.

I like him. I think I remember last year or the year before, we were involved in talks regarding him.

He's just entering his prime. After four 40+ seasons, and two at about 20 goals, I think with the right opportunity he could surpass that.

He is a young vet. He takes a lot of shots and is very useful on the PP. He can play both C and LW.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Johansson - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Dorsett - Granlund - Burrows

Rodin, Etem

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Biega

BO Higgins

Probably one or two of those would be required to get him.

Higgins would be great. Etem and Vey are expendable.

If the Caps know they can't re-sign him, they may not ask for a lot

Archived