The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We had a few good snows, but it melted a few days before Christmas...  Then rained Christmas morning only to drop to 15 with the wind chill.  We can skate down our roads in spots. 

Have a a safe on out there.  Does Vancouver stI'll shut down at the sight of a snowflake?  Hope you are well and that everyone has snowtires. 

There are more complaints about snow/slush here than about JB's draft of Virtanen!  :lol:

Mrs. Alf and I have a place on the South Shore (Crescent Beach) we go to for summers.  It's the only beach I can drive my scooter on!  

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

How's the weather back east?  You're probably getting less snow than us on this coast.

As for Jake, we will wait.  However JB cannot afford misses at the tops of round one.  

We had a few good snows, but it melted a few days before Christmas...  Then rained Christmas morning only to drop to -15 with the wind chill.  We can skate down our roads in spots. 

Have a a safe on out there.  Does Vancouver stI'll shut down at the sight of a snowflake?  Hope you are well and that everyone has snowtire

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

There are more complaints about snow/slush here than about JB's draft of Virtanen!  :lol:

Mrs. Alf and I have a place on the South Shore (Crescent Beach) we go to for summers.  It's the only beach I can drive my scooter on!  

Cresent beach NS?  Cool.  Glad to have any nucks fan on the east coast. 

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Virtanen. I just would have liked to have seen him become a 60-70 point player in the AHL before getting called up. He has a lot of fantastic raw tools but he definitely needs development to become an effective offensive player as he just isn't there yet. Also with Jake it is easy to take shortcuts. He is physically NHL read, and adds speed and physicality to the bottom six. This makes it easy to pigeon hole him into that role, vs letting him develop with other offensive minded players in offensive roles down in the AHL. 

I think the "physical 15" plays a very underrated role. A physical 15 player is penciled into a 3rd line position and is expected to contribute depth offence and toughness. This type of player can also be moved temporarily up to the top 6 for toughness, or to the fourth line for skill. These types of players typically aren't special team darlings but do play a unique and important role and is often inexpensive salary wise OR to acquire (because they get easily overpaid).

The thing is fans are very hot/cold on these types of players. We either love em or hate him. And I think it is because they have double the expectation - to perform offensively and physically. Often, their 5 on 5 production is great, especially per dollar. The thing is they don't play a tonne of minutes and don't score a lot on the powerplay. 

Trent Klatt, Matt Cooke, Steve Bernier, David Booth, Raffi Torres, Zack Kassian are a few examples of Canucks who fall into this category. Kassian was in the 88th percentile for 5 on 5 goal production his last year with us. Throw that in with physical play at a salary south of 2 million and it sounds like a steal, yet we consider him a bust and Benning traded him for peanuts. l

I personally don't have a problem if Jake becomes a physical 15. It will keep his contract manageable and provides a versatile option up and down the lineup. Physical 25s are your top power forwards. They cost a fortune. David Backes, Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo, andrew Ladd. etc. Massive contracts. Jake salary would be around 6 million if he hits 25 goals. 

Physical 15s give you about 40% less goals at a fraction of the cost - Chris Stewart (1.15), Devante Smith-Pelley (1.3). If Jake hits 15 goals his salary would be around 2. 

Thanks for for the response.  Some of my response to you was really for others.  I find you to be a reasonable poster, not always common on the CDC. I also have no problems with Jake being a physical 15, but believe that he will be a physical 25 or more at his peak.  

He does need AHL time, and he took an unusual path to get there, but I really don't want to see him back on the Nucks roster for some time. What he can get with Green in Utica is invaluable to his future. 

While Utica will be in for a rocky season, things look up next year with a number of players due to join the roster from JB's first 2 drafts.  Jake should have a setup guy to play with coming soon. Until then, learn from green and soak it all in. 

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Cresent beach NS?  Cool.  Glad to have any nucks fan on the east coast. 

Yup, Crescent beach NS.  We can drive the scooter right on to the beach, and I can roll into the surf.  Now I'm hoping we draft a Moosehead this year: HERCHIER

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, Crescent beach NS.  We can drive the scooter right on to the beach, and I can roll into the surf.  Now I'm hoping we draft a Moosehead this year: HERCHIER

For me it's Nico (I think he will be gone before us) or Mittelstad. Don't see a downside to either. 

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

What about Comtois..that big bodied C..6-2 200lbs at 17...

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

What about Comtois..that big bodied C..6-2 200lbs at 17...

Havent had much time to check him out. Sounds like an good pick possibly. If we are in a similar draft spot this season, our center woes look to be over. Lots of good ones going in the top 6 spots.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Havent had much time to check him out. Sounds like an good pick possibly. If we are in a similar draft spot this season, our center woes look to be over. Lots of good ones going in the top 6 spots.  

That Nekac kid playing today for the Czechs is available too..some nice moves...I would like to draft a possible C that can take over 1st line duties..Comtois reminds me some of Dubois.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

One period played and he's a MINUS ONE:(

Thought there would be more comments here about Juolevi's performance in the WJC game against the Czech Republic. It was obviously a disappointing game for Finland as they lost 2-1. Juolevi was on the ice for both goals against so was -2. He was credited with 2 shots on goal (both good shots) and played just under 20 minutes, which was 4th most among the Finnish Ds.

Juolevi could not be "blamed" for either goal except in the sense that every player on ice bears some responsibility for getting trapped in the defensive zone.

Overall Juolevi looked like a solid 2-way defenceman. But he did not drive play or dominate in any way. If you were trying to pick the standout players in the game he would be a ways down the list.

One thing I noticed is that when handling the puck he would usually slow the play down -- reversing direction, passing backwards or sideways, or just holding the puck. I can't recall seeing him carry the puck in  a forward direction very much -- at least not far and not often. And he did not make a lot of aggressive breakout passes. He played a slow and safe game on the breakout. And he did not look fast. Smooth on his skates, but not fast.

His play was not a big surprise but not what I hoped to see. (Jasek, on the other hand, was at the high end of my expectations. He at least looked dangerous out there.)

As a team Finland did not look particularly good. Losing Laine and Puljujarvi makes a big difference.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Thought there would be more comments here about Juolevi's performance in the WJC game against the Czech Republic. It was obviously a disappointing game for Finland as they lost 2-1. Juolevi was on the ice for both goals against so was -2. He was credited with 2 shots on goal (both good shots) and played just under 20 minutes, which was 4th most among the Finnish Ds.

Juolevi could not be "blamed" for either goal except in the sense that every player on ice bears some responsibility for getting trapped in the defensive zone.

Overall Juolevi looked like a solid 2-way defenceman. But he did not drive play or dominate in any way. If you were trying to pick the standout players in the game he would be a ways down the list.

One thing I noticed is that when handling the puck he would usually slow the play down -- reversing direction, passing backwards or sideways, or just holding the puck. I can't recall seeing him carry the puck in  a forward direction very much -- at least not far and not often. And he did not make a lot of aggressive breakout passes. He played a slow and safe game on the breakout. And he did not look fast. Smooth on his skates, but not fast.

His play was not a big surprise but not what I hoped to see. (Jasek, on the other hand, was at the high end of my expectations. He at least looked dangerous out there.)

As a team Finland did not look particularly good. Losing Laine and Puljujarvi makes a big difference.

Was Juiolevi the best pick at five?  Just watching Jost, and he looks pretty darned good.  Oh, and he's a centre too:(

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was Juiolevi the best pick at five?  Just watching Jost, and he looks pretty darned good.  Oh, and he's a centre too:(

If it had been up to me I probably would have taken Tkachuk at #5. But I would also have been happy to trade down and pick up Jost a bit later and maybe recapture a second round pick to make up for the high second round pick thrown away by Benning in the Gudbranson trade.

• Upvote 1