The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Juolevi has been good, despite the score. Finland's goaltending has been brutal though.

And I don't understand Juolevi not being on the first unit PP. Yes, Finland has Saarajarvi and Valimaki who are great offensive talents but Juolevi has the pedigree and talent that belongs on the first unit, he showed that last year at 17 years old. The setup they have isn't working so far anyway.

Another PP chance here...

19 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

because he is worse than willy d

I went on the HF board post the Finland Czech game. The Finns posting were harder on their coach than we are on Willie D. 

They all reckognize their team is not as strong as last years, but are scratching their heads about deployment and line combos. They think he is a grade a buffoon. 

I won't be expecting much from them and am not worried if Juolevi's talent doesn't translate this year.

He is a force multiplier, making it easier for other skilled players to show their talents. If there isn't much to work with, Juolevi will be harder to appreciate. 

EW

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Finland loses... Juolevi didn't even see the ice in the last two minutes. Why was he named captain if he's not going to play? Moral support?

In the third period: Saarijarvi 10:21, Valimaki 6:38, Heiskanen 6:17, Juolevi 5:45. Barely above Vaakanainen at 5:33.

Im not impressed with Juolevis ice time..this doesnt make any sense to me..a top 5 pick..allstar last year and the least icetime...give me a break.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Im not impressed with Juolevis ice time..this doesnt make any sense to me..a top 5 pick..allstar last year and the least icetime...give me a break.

Maybe he did not deserve to be a top 5 pick. I know we are all looking for reasons (excuses) for what is going on. But in both the OHL and at the World Juniors Juolevi has looked good but not great -- the kind of guy you might be happy to pick in the middle of the first round, but not a guy you want at #5. I know that Benning was impressed when he saw Juolevi at the World Juniors last year but it is easier to look good playing behind Puljujarvi and Laine (or Tkachuk, Dvorak, and Marner in London).

Scouts often talk about picking the guys who drive play rather than the guys who are just complementary players. And I know that is hard. But I think the Benning might have made the same mistake with Virtanen and Juolevi (not to mention Eriksson and Gudbranson). These are all guys who look like good players and have done well with the right linemates/D partners. But to build a contender again we are going to need some guys who can drive play. Horvat is in that category. So is Stecher. But the Canuck pipeline is weak on this dimension.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Maybe he did not deserve to be a top 5 pick. I know we are all looking for reasons (excuses) for what is going on. But in both the OHL and at the World Juniors Juolevi has looked good but not great -- the kind of guy you might be happy to pick in the middle of the first round, but not a guy you want at #5. I know that Benning was impressed when he saw Juolevi at the World Juniors last year but it is easier to look good playing behind Puljujarvi and Laine (or Tkachuk, Dvorak, and Marner in London).

Scouts often talk about picking the guys who drive play rather than the guys who are just complementary players. And I know that is hard. But I think the Benning might have made the same mistake with Virtanen and Juolevi (not to mention Eriksson and Gudbranson). These are all guys who look like good players and have done well with the right linemates/D partners. But to build a contender again we are going to need some guys who can drive play. Horvat is in that category. So is Stecher. But the Canuck pipeline is weak on this dimension.

Exactly.  We need elite prospects, who drive play, and Juiolevi looks like a nice player, but that's all.  

• Upvote 2