The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On December 28, 2016 at 0:45 AM, ShakyWalton said:

well...I have to be honest and say I wasn't impressed with the pick ..so you feel that some of these other Finnish D have overtaken Juolevi..to the tune where he gets the least ice time..doesn't say much.

Juolevi is Finlands best d man, but when have a coach that makes Willie d look like a genius, it is tough.  

The only take away I have is that team Finland lacks cohesion and forward depth. OJ's deployment is questionable, but his passion is a undeniable as his skill.  Again the CDC starts to rush to judge a kid because they are facing adversary. Let the guy have a bad WJC and hate losing.  Let him pick himself back up. For all the posters that wanted another forward, we haven't drafted a d in the first round in ten years.  The pipeline was empty. 

Juolevi shines when  he has more skill to work with. He is the f35 of defence men. Not the biggest, fastest or hardest hitting. He can do all those things to a degree. It is his ability to process the game and do the little things a so seemlessly that when his physical strength and stamina are NHL ready, he will seemlessly step into the lineup and play like he has been there for years. 

Think Tanev on the defence side with a Lindholm/OEL like offense. He may not ever hit 40 pts in a season, but Imagine Tanev playing exactly the same defensively and putting up a constant 35 pts. 

We would be drooling at that. I watched Tempo play for the Jets. We had Lumme, but Tempo was always better by just a bit at nearly everything. He was the most underrated defender in the league. OJ is another Tempo. 

Ask any old school Jets fan who they would rather have, Tempo or Tkachuk. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You seem to know a lot about hockey.  

It's pretty reasonable to be concerned about Olli's ice time, not only in this tournament so far but also back in London.  With that draft pedigree, you would think he was a top guy that any team he plays for would want on the ice as much as humanly possible but I guess not.

My thoughts exactly. Even if the coach is questionable wouldn`t it be a no brainer for him to just leave OJ out on the ice until he begged to come off? Not sure how his ice looks in London, PP PK etc.

Edited by groovy

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Juolevi is Finlands best d man, but when have a coach that makes Willie d look Lola genius, it is tough.  

The only take away I have is that team Finland lacks cohesion and forward depth. OJ's deployment is questionable, but his passion is a undeniable as his skill.  Again the CDC starts to rush to judge a kid because they are facing adversary. Let the guy have a bad WJC and hate losing.  Let him pick himself back up. For all the posters that wanted another forward, we haven't drafted a d in the first round in ten years.  The pipeline was empty. 

Juolevi shines when  he has more skill to work with. He is the f35 of defence men. Not the biggest, fastest or hardest hitting. He can do all those things to a degree. It is his ability to process the game and do the little things a so seemlessly that when his physical strength and stamina are NHL ready, he will seemlessly step into the lineup and play like he has been there for years. 

Think Tanev on the defence side with a Lindholm/OEL like offense. He may not ever hit 40 pts in a season, but Imagine Tanev playing exactly the same defensively and putting up a constant 35 pts. 

We would be drooling at that. I watched Tempo play for the Jets. We had Lumme, but Tempo was always better by just a bit at nearly everything. He was the most underrated defender in the league. OJ is another Tempo. 

Ask any old school Jets fan who they would rather have, Tempo or Tkachuk. 

Virtanen had a bad WJC..but reeally hasnt picked himself back up yet..hoping he does..I think Juolevi plays better when he has some goal scoring forwards that he can feed..Finland is lacking in that department this year..probably woul;d be different with Pulijarvi and Laine playing...Juolevi was an all star last yer feeding them..doesnt have that luxury and as you say a coach with questionable decisions..I want to see the kid succeed...but as I say he wasnt my choice at that spot.

I should add..I don't think Juolevi is playing poorly..its his deployment that bothers me.

Edited by ShakyWalton

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

Virtanen had a bad WJC..but reeally hasnt picked himself back up yet..hoping he does..I think Juolevi plays better when he has some goal scoring forwards that he can feed..Finland is lacking in that department this year..probably woul;d be different with Pulijarvi and Laine playing...Juolevi was an all star last yer feeding them..doesnt have that luxury and as you say a coach with questionable decisions..I want to see the kid succeed...but as I say he wasnt my choice at that spot.

I follow Joulevi on every shift. Don't really care about the game. As you pointed out he has thrown a number of passes to forwards who either missed them or had them bounce off their sticks. Scouts talk about Joulevi's vision and he has that. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Juolevi turn 18 a week before the draft? Nope, a month. 05/05/98.  Still pretty young.

Just now, Boudrias said:

I follow Joulevi on every shift. Don't really care about the game. As you pointed out he has thrown a number of passes to forwards who either missed them or had them bounce off their sticks. Scouts talk about Joulevi's vision and he has that. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Juolevi turn 18 a week before the draft? Nope, a month. 05/05/98.  Still pretty young.

he has also jumped into the play and hit a few crossbars from what I have seen..I think he is just part of a team that isn't as talented and really misfiring.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He would be 4th in team scoring with 20 points in 33 games- Bo like numbers.

And tough and goes to the net. at 18. ffs

For what its worth I don't think he would be producing like that in Vancouver. 13 of his 20 points are assists. The Canucks just don't have the offensive pieces the Flames do. This draft debate is useless until both guys have 3 or 4 years in the NHL. Then the masses can lose their minds or not. Juolevi looks like an exceptional prospect IMO.

20 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

For what its worth I don't think he would be producing like that in Vancouver. 13 of his 20 points are assists. The Canucks just don't have the offensive pieces the Flames do. This draft debate is useless until both guys have 3 or 4 years in the NHL. Then the masses can lose their minds or not. Juolevi looks like an exceptional prospect IMO.

Tkachuk will have 3 or 4 seasons of scoring before Joulevi even cracks the line up.

29 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tkachuk will have 3 or 4 seasons of scoring before Joulevi even cracks the line up.

Virtanen vs Tkachuk will be fun to watch in the future. TBH I feel Tkachuk is the most overrated rookie so far. I would have taking Jost over him, mind you I wanted Jost over Juolevi too, but I love the Juolevi pick and can't wait for him to cracks the roster in 2 years!

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Maybe. Could also be out of the league. Doesn't change the fact that OJ can't fairly be compared to MT until both have had enough time in the league. And lets be realistic, its 3 or 4 years (if all goes well) before the Canucks are rolling a young, competitive line up. I'd be fine with OJ in the top 4 by then.

If you want to argue taking a scoring forward vs a D in general I'm on board with a good debate. It sure seems like NHL teams are able to come up with undrafted but capable young D (Stecher, P.Meyers, etc) these days. 

57 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If he was with the Canucks, how many points do you really think he would be scoring?

He would be watching the game in a suit because Willie scratched him for the 4th straight game.

Edited by Tomato Pajamas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If he was with the Canucks, how many points do you really think he would be scoring?

4th line.  And benched.

No Monahan Bennett Giordano yup.  He'd be a bust by CDC standards 

But seriously BACK TO JUOLEVI 

He's a bust too right?  Not jumping in at 4 ppg at the WJC hasn't posted a shutout and gone 90% in the faceoff circle.

Total bust 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

ya I was following him closely too. wish someone would put out a shift by shift comp of some of the games. ^^

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

the league is transitioning too smooth skating and speedy offensive play. if that trend continues the league could become even faster in the next 5-10 years. Juolevi will do well in that climate but will mt be able to keep up with the pace?    he's talented no doubt. but even Cody Hodgson who was skilled and could compete in the nhl initially eventually fell behind on his skating. I would assume he would adjust but he could be one of the slower players ifrom the trend continues.

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2016 at 6:19 PM, logic said:

The dude has 21 points in 26 games as a D man in junior what more do you want lmao

On 12/27/2016 at 7:01 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Don't see why we are hyper vigilant about Juolevi. From all accounts the Finnish coach is in way over his head.  Seem to remember that Horvat had a poor WJC as well.  

He is our pick and only time will tell if he works out.  This board has a really bad habit of hanging on a teenagers every move and if there is any bump in the road, it's all doom and gloom. 

Finland is missing a huge amount of talent. With the way that pool party had been playing, Edmonton could have sent him. 

Dont see the poor performance of Finland being OJ's fault. OJ is having a great OHL season.  The game he plays does require his teammates to possess skills. Very few defencemen drive the play. They transition, counter, but rarely skate end to end and score. 

OJ is not Orr and is not a player that can do it all himself. He is a

key peice to that we need.  

On 12/27/2016 at 7:12 PM, Crabcakes said:

Does PL Dubois look dominanat?  Shouldn't a 3rd OA pick?  He looks like a depth player.

Fact is, this is a tournament for 19 and 20 year olds mostly.  Development between 17 and 20 is phenomenal.

In the 2016 NHL draft, OJ was the top pick from the OHL at #5 overall. In 2015 the top D taken was Noah Hannafin, also at #5. He made the NHL in his draft+1 year, played well, and is having a good year in the NHL his draft+2 year. Provorov was taken at #7 and he had a monster year in the WHL in his draft+1 year (72 pts in 62 games and +64). He is now playing well in the NHL. In 2014 the first pick overall was Ekblad from the OHL, who has played (and played very well) in the the NHL from his draft+1 year on. The only other OHL D taken in the first round in 2014 was DeAngelo at #19. He had a huge year in Junior in his draft+1 year (89 pts in 55 games) and is now doing well in the NHL.

The point is that the top player taken from the OHL should be an excellent player and should be good enough to stand out at the OHL level if he plays there in his draft+1 season. Right now Juolevi has a PPG of 0.81, which ranks him 13th for defencemen in the OHL -- not even in the top 10 and slightly behind Sergachev. His plus-minus is +17, which ranks #7 in the OHL. And he is playing on a good team with a good D-partner (Mete).

He is a having a good year in the OHL. By no stretch of the imagination is he having a "great" year. As with Virtanen, in the draft+1 year we can use rose-colored glasses to interpret what we see but, objectively, you would hope for more from the #5 overall pick, especially as we did not even get to use our high second round pick where we could have got another good player and maybe have someone else to root for in the WJC.

Right now, things look like a lot like they did before the draft -- with 4 or 5 good defencemen in the mix -- Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, and Bean. It was hard to say then and it is hard to see now who will turn out better. A team that picked one of those guys in the middle of first round would be feeling pretty good. But a team that picked any of those guys at #5 ahead of Tkachuk has to be having second thoughts.

@Crabcakes makes a good point about Dubois, though. That was the guy the Canucks expected to get at #5 and the guy most us (including me) wanted at #5, and he has not looked great in his draft+1 year. Right now I am not sure I would take Dubois over Juolevi. But, when Tkachuk fell into our laps at #5 we should have taken him.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 2