The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

the league is transitioning too smooth skating and speedy offensive play. if that trend continues the league could become even faster in the next 5-10 years. Juolevi will do well in that climate but will mt be able to keep up with the pace?    he's talented no doubt. but even Cody Hodgson who was skilled and could compete in the nhl initially eventually fell behind on his skating. I would assume he would adjust but he could be one of the slower players ifrom the trend continues.

The league will always have a place for hard nosed players that go to the net.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Hasn't been impressive at WJC but I like the fact he is upset with his team's play and the result.

Being upset shows he cares, but I'd rather of seen him get furious during the game and do something to affect the outcome for his team - that would've been better than being mad in the dressing room during post game interviews.   But I understand he's not necessarily the 'game breaking' type of player.

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

He plays better with guys who can read plays and execute. 

So JB should be looking for those types of players.... because as it is now,  well......

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tkachuk will have 3 or 4 seasons of scoring before Joulevi even cracks the line up.

3-4 seasons of increasing scoring no doubt. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

4th line.  And benched.

No Monahan Bennett Giordano yup.  He'd be a bust by CDC standards 

But seriously BACK TO JUOLEVI 

He's a bust too right?  Not jumping in at 4 ppg at the WJC hasn't posted a shutout and gone 90% in the faceoff circle.

Total bust 

Am I

the only 

one that

hates it

when people

type like this?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Virtanen had a bad WJC..but reeally hasnt picked himself back up yet..hoping he does..I think Juolevi plays better when he has some goal scoring forwards that he can feed..Finland is lacking in that department this year..probably woul;d be different with Pulijarvi and Laine playing...Juolevi was an all star last yer feeding them..doesnt have that luxury and as you say a coach with questionable decisions..I want to see the kid succeed...but as I say he wasnt my choice at that spot.

I should add..I don't think Juolevi is playing poorly..its his deployment that bothers me.

Deployment is all on the coach. Juolevi wasn't my first choice either, but he has really grown on me. More so than Jake, and I support him still.  

The the whole club is in a state of turmoil and we won't see the end of that for a while, but one of the picks I won't lose any sleep over is Juolevi. 

Cant say how Juolevi will turn out (obviously), I think what I find frustrating is that the calgary shames have had 2 #6 picks make immediate impacts (Tkachuk and Monahan) while the Canucks  #5 Juolevi and #6 Virtanen look like they will be projects for a while.  I mean here we are second guessing the #5 pick Benning made but the coilers and blue jackets also passed on Tkachuk...

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Am I

the only 

one that

hates it

when people

type like this?

What, you mean correctly with proper spacing>?  Probably not.  But then 

Ihatehwnepeopletypelikethisbecausetheyretoolazytousepropergrammarstructureandpunctuation

So you know...you get used to it

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Deployment is all on the coach.

Yes and  no. 

Look at Burr - giving his coaches reasons to play him every night instead of sulking in the bottom 6.

You can blame coaches or you can make the look foolish for not playing you more when you get an opportunity. 

But I agree, you don't give up on talent like  OJ/Virt from a tournament that means more to the teams/fans than it means to individual careers. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Cant say how Juolevi will turn out (obviously), I think what I find frustrating is that the calgary shames have had 2 #6 picks make immediate impacts (Tkachuk and Monahan) while the Canucks  #5 Juolevi and #6 Virtanen look like they will be projects for a while.  I mean here we are second guessing the #5 pick Benning made but the coilers and blue jackets also passed on Tkachuk...

I just hope we come up with someone like Hischier, or Mittlestadt, or possibly both :blush: this draft. I think the better question is, who do we pick if Liljegren and Hischier are available? Franchise defenseman, or franchise centerman? 

Middlestadt's value might drop and we could get him around the 6th-10th overall range. He went back to high school hockey rather than finish his year with his USHL team. Someone I'd try and get. His hands and speed remind me of Patty Kane.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What, you mean correctly with proper spacing>?  Probably not.  But then 

Ihatehwnepeopletypelikethisbecausetheyretoolazytousepropergrammarstructureandpunctuation

So you know...you get used to it

lols, nothing against you, just find it irritating. At least it's not canuktravella bad.

Edited by Odd.

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

In the 2016 NHL draft, OJ was the top pick from the OHL at #5 overall. In 2015 the top D taken was Noah Hannafin, also at #5. He made the NHL in his draft+1 year, played well, and is having a good year in the NHL his draft+2 year. Provorov was taken at #7 and he had a monster year in the WHL in his draft+1 year (72 pts in 62 games and +64). He is now playing well in the NHL. In 2014 the first pick overall was Ekblad from the OHL, who has played (and played very well) in the the NHL from his draft+1 year on. The only other OHL D taken in the first round in 2014 was DeAngelo at #19. He had a huge year in Junior in his draft+1 year (89 pts in 55 games) and is now doing well in the NHL.

The point is that the top player taken from the OHL should be an excellent player and should be good enough to stand out at the OHL level if he plays there in his draft+1 season. Right now Juolevi has a PPG of 0.81, which ranks him 13th in the OHL -- not even in the top 10 and slightly behind Sergachev. His plus-minus is +17, which ranks #7 in the OHL. And he is playing on a good team with a good D-partner (Mete).

He is a having a good year in the OHL. By no stretch of the imagination is he having a "great" year. As with Virtanen, in the draft+1 year we can use rose-colored glasses to interpret what we see but, objectively, you would hope for more from the #5 overall pick, especially as we did not even get to use our high second round pick where we could have got another good player and maybe have someone else to root for in the WJC.

Right now, things look like a lot like they did before the draft -- with 4 or 5 good defencemen in the mix -- Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, and Bean. It was hard to say then and it is hard to see now who will turn out better. A team that picked one of those guys in the middle of first round would be feeling pretty good. But a team that picked any of those guys at #5 ahead of Tkachuk has to be having second thoughts.

@Crabcakes makes a good point about Dubois, though. That was the guy the Canucks expected to get at #5 and the guy most us (including me) wanted at #5, and he has not looked great in his draft+1 year. Right now I am not sure I would take Dubois over Juolevi. But, when Tkachuk fell into our laps at #5 we should have taken him.

Team am need might have been the deciding factor, added to that, Tkachuk is playing on an up and coming team with support in the line up. Can't see him having the same results in Vancouver. I would expect Jake would also be putting up better numbers on Calgary's roster than ours. 

We needed a defender or center.  Juolevi was default afrer Dubois was taken. I am fine with not taking Tkachuk.  I project Boeser to be a better player than the son of Keith. 

Virtannen could be just as valuable and we won't know until

thos team changes up the coach. 

Its only been 6 months since the draft and Tkachuk made his NHL debut, so what, there is no prize for being the first prospect to make a team, there is still a very long road to go before we can clearly compare picks.

Heck in another year Horvat could a 70 point center. If we went off his Juinor and first season in the NHL, we could not have projected that. 

Wait for Juolevi to complete his season before looking at the point avg. this guy has a track record of improving his play as he gets deeper into the season and playoffs. 

BTW, how many of the defenders with higher points in the OHL are over agers?  And another point. No one is comparing OJ to Hanifan or Eckbald.  Those guys are on another level and no one from last years draft will be as good as them. 

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Yes and  no. 

Look at Burr - giving his coaches reasons to play him every night instead of sulking in the bottom 6.

You can blame coaches or you can make the look foolish for not playing you more when you get an opportunity. 

But I agree, you don't give up on talent like  OJ/Virt from a tournament that means more to the teams/fans than it means to individual careers. 

By all accounts the coach for Finland is getting skewered by the Finnish fans posting in the HF. This is a short tourney and yes the coach does handle the deployment. Don't know is team Finland decided behind closed doors to look to next year with this team and getting reps in to the younger guys is what's driving things. 

Juolevi is is their best d, but the coach is not using him well. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How good would Ehlers, Pastrnak, and Tkatchuk look in our prospect pool, with Boeser?  

McCann over Pastrnak I'll give him a pass on because he was highly rated. But passing on Ehlers and Tkachuk is already coming back to bite us.

He went against the rule of taking best player available and went for need instead. He thought we needed to get bigger and tougher, and that we needed to get a puck mover. Both are true, but you only fill those needs if those players happen to be the best player available. Virtanen and Juolevi were not BPA.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

By all accounts the coach for Finland is getting skewered by the Finnish fans posting in the HF. This is a short tourney and yes the coach does handle the deployment. Don't know is team Finland decided behind closed doors to look to next year with this team and getting reps in to the younger guys is what's driving things. 

Juolevi is is their best d, but the coach is not using him well. 

Virtanen was playing in junior on the 2nd and 3rd line, and he was their best prospect at the time. I don't think he ever played on the first line. He was also never used on the first PP unit, always the second. People would see Virtanen's floating and coasting problems which he had in junior and quickly blamed the coach for the way he was being used, let alone his minutes. Virtanen STILL has these issues, and now it's clear that it was never a coaching problem. 

Point is, coaches will play the players they can trust. There's gotta be a reason why Juolevi isn't getting his minutes. People are quick to blame the coach whenever a problem arises, much like here in Vancouver. Hell Juolevi isn't even London's top minute munching defensemen. 

Edited by Odd.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How good would Ehlers, Pastrnak, and Tkatchuk look in our prospect pool, with Boeser?  

McCann was a great pick. Pretty sure McCann was a projected top 15 pick too so at that time it was a steal when he fell. Unfortunately, McCann's been rushed, and at the moment, he's kinda useless.

Edited by Odd.