The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, YOWnuxFAN said:

Gonna sound off a little... I don't mind the pick but it leaves me confused as to the direction the team is going in. D's typically take a while to develop so it will be a few years until he's ready to contribute. If the plan is to tank hard between now and then to get elite scoring talent it makes sense. But if that were the plan I doubt they would've done the Gubranson trade nor be pursuing Lucic/Erikson. It feels like they're trying to ensure we're a fringe playoff team for the next decade

This year's pick was going to be for the future anyways. Even if we got PLD, he would probably make the team in two years. Juolevi will be ready in about 3 years. Even Tkachuk would require 2 years of development before he can join the team.

Think this way. Let's say, three years later we make the playoffs and our defence is,

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tryamkin

The only concern that I have with not being able to pick Dubois is that we didn't get to replace McCann. The top center forward prospect in our system is now... Cole Cassels?

Just now, NEON.KNEE said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-maatta-to-have-surgery-for-thyroid-tumor/c-736356

It's a thyroid tumour...benign...I literally had the same thing when I was 11, the Doctor's called it cat scratch fever at the time, not cancer...but yea, the worst symptom I got was a fever for a few days.

It can effect your energy levels though can't it? As an athlete that would affect you quite a bit.

As much as Juolevi was my third choice ...I can see the reasoning behind it....You cannot really trade for top D,the Canucks would have been in tough trying to acquire this kind of player without drafting one (and its pretty difficult to win championships without them).....Benning is building a team,and needs have to be addressed ...The Oilers are a prime example of keeping on drafting BPA forwards,and neglecting D.

The big issue now will be who's going to score.?..Boeser cannot get here soon enough

Yeah...this one was a little tough. On one hand, we now have to play Tkachuk 6 times a damn year. I hated watching Vancouver play his dad in the late 90s and early 2000s. This will be no different. On the other hand, we got to draft a dman the likes of which we have never had and we get to have him for at least 10 years with the organization (barring a trade). 

At the end of the day, we have a decent amount of wingers in the organization and Virtanen can deal with Tkachuk. It's a smart pick at 5.

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

*NOTE:*

Juoelvi is on loan from his Finnish team. 

So if he decides, he can go straight to the AHL after training camp.

...neat little bonus in getting him. Can play overseas, AHL if they think he's ready, or back to jrs.

So many things to like about that tidbit. He has nothing more to prove in Juniors any more as he pretty much has won every team championship that he can win. So he needs to be moved up in order to continue his development. But moving a D-man from juniors to the NHL too early is dangerous because unlike with the forwards where your mistake usually does not result in a shift in the score, with a D-man, your mistakes are so obvious. So getting the option to send him directly to the AHL to allow him to bulk up and understand the intricacies of the position may allow him to be a top-line defender for the Canucks in as early as 2 years.

• Upvote 1

It will be fitting if Juolevi becomes an elite D and is in the NHL at 19, when the Oilers were trying so hard to acquire a puck mover with their 4th overall pick.

Doesn't matter how many scorers you add if you can't keep the puck out of your net.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It can effect your energy levels though can't it? As an athlete that would affect you quite a bit.

Benign tumours are worse than they sound (probably because of the word tumour). Had one too but it was just mildly uncomfortable at worst. 

He'll have his surgery and recover swiftly just like most other minor injuries.

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

Yeah...this one was a little tough. On one hand, we now have to play Tkachuk 6 times a damn year. I hated watching Vancouver play his dad in the late 90s and early 2000s. This will be no different. On the other hand, we got to draft a dman the likes of which we have never had and we get to have him for at least 10 years with the organization (barring a trade). 

At the end of the day, we have a decent amount of wingers in the organization and Virtanen can deal with Tkachuk. It's a smart pick at 5.

Because of Las Vegas, we most likely play them 4 times or 5 times a year.

A guy who can move the puck also makes the forwards so much better.  Remember how a guy like Salo used to make the great first pass out of the D zone...when Salo was out of the lineup their record hovered around .500  when he was in the lineup they were racking up wins like crazy and making a march to the cup...this was a smart move even though it wasnt as 'sexy' as picking a forward.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

In my case I had the tumour removed at such a young age that I just have always lived with it.  There is no doubt that having some of your thyroid removed would affect your body chemistry, to what extent I have no idea, but I believe a pro athlete with his team of high end doctors could combat any minor change in physiology with treatment or medicine.

I am happy with the pick, I mean Julovi is THE BEST D-MAN in the draft... Time will tell on this one, but in reality all of the guys in the top 6 this year were good picks...The younger Nylander looks better than William IMO.

Benning did the best thing here after the top 4 were gone. Great pick I'm excited! Our defense has me more intrigued than I've ever been having all these good young up and coming dmen who all have a lot to offer.

Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat and all the other forwards we have moving forward are going to need a swift moving/passing dman who can pressure and skate and do all the good things this kid does.

Edited by The Big Luongo

9 minutes ago, khay said:

This year's pick was going to be for the future anyways. Even if we got PLD, he would probably make the team in two years. Juolevi will be ready in about 3 years. Even Tkachuk would require 2 years of development before he can join the team.

Think this way. Let's say, three years later we make the playoffs and our defence is,

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tryamkin

The only concern that I have with not being able to pick Dubois is that we didn't get to replace McCann. The top center forward prospect in our system is now... Cole Cassels?

I think you forgot about Bo Horvat, you know the guy that had more points in his second season than both Harnrik and Kesler.

24 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Olli Maata isn't a 50 point a year guy...I just found Camel Toe's comparison to be about the most lazy a person could have made.

I think Julovi was the best D available...and with how the draft played out I can't really fault Benning... But to say that Julovi looks like Maata is just pure laziness...because they look almost identical in appearance, height and size but Julovi better be a bigger producer at the NHL level to justify passing up on some of the offensive pieces available

So are we talking  OEL? Salo? thats all I have atm for finnish lineage.

11 minutes ago, khay said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tryamkin

In 3 years I doubt edler would be on the team, if he is then he probably wouldn't be on the first pair, either Hutton or a trade would take his spot

28 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Olli Maata isn't a 50 point a year guy...I just found Camel Toe's comparison to be about the most lazy a person could have made.

I think Julovi was the best D available...and with how the draft played out I can't really fault Benning... But to say that Julovi looks like Maata is just pure laziness...because they look almost identical in appearance, height and size but Julovi better be a bigger producer at the NHL level to justify passing up on some of the offensive pieces available

I'm guessing you're referring to Tkachuk? The kid relies on crease play to get the majority of his points and he simply doesn't have the size to be a top six forward in that role in the NHL. He's gonna underwhelm with the Flames, you can quote me on it.

And who were the other offensive pieces available? A high risk Sergachev? Keller? Nylander? Logan freaking Brown?

The only guy I wish we would have gotten was Jost but even then, we did fine with this pick.

Edited by guntrix