The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I still don't see this as bad news. As a matter of fact, that's even better, isn't it?!

And we also have Sutter and Horvat who can also deal with Tkachuk.

Hey maybe juolevi will shut him down for the next 10 years 

Juolevi is legit. I'm ok with this pick, he's got top pairing defenceman written all over him. Would've been equally happy with Tkachuk as well but no need to get upset about this, it isn't like that time we passed up two higher tier players like Ehlers and Nylander for Jake. 

CBJ really F'd things up by taking Dubois. I was sad, but then got a little excited because Puljujarvi was still available. Then EDM took him. Puljujarvi on McDavid's wing. Great. So I thought, okay, we'll still get Tkachuk. And JB takes Juolevi. Shocked, but good on JB, he has the kahunas to draft the player the Canucks need, not who the fan base wants. It was the smart pick, considering how CBJ "changed the order". Benning is building us a winner.

Was an interesting groan from the BUF fans when Juolevi went at #5. Best D in the draft though, and D wins championships.

Canucks D of the future?

Juolevi - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stecher

Pedan

Subban

Larsen

5 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I still don't see this as bad news. As a matter of fact, that's even better, isn't it?!

And we also have Sutter and Horvat who can also deal with Tkachuk.

Yeah, I think it is too. I don't think Tkachuk will be that big of a deal, but Bennett, Gaudreau and Monahan might be. Then again, we've got Horvat and Sutter to counter them. I don't think it's that big of a deal as some people say especially when we're building a rock solid defense.

I'm liking getting an offensive defenseman that Juolevi can be.  Getting scoring from the defense so great to watch.  I miss Salo.  I'm not saying Juolevi is a Salo but I'm liking the similar first name fun.  Sami and Olli (and they are both Finnish).  Hopefully he turns out to be a Sami.

Perfect selection, this is EXACTLY what we needed, we havent had this opportunity since we drafted Bourdon (RIP Luc) time to develop a top end play-making defenseman, every stanley cup winner has a guy like this on the back end, one of the harder pieces to draft or acquire I am over the top excited for this pick, we are going to have something special in this guy.

WELCOME OLLI JUOLEVI!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Olli Maata isn't a 50 point a year guy...I just found Camel Toe's comparison to be about the most lazy a person could have made.

I think Julovi was the best D available...and with how the draft played out I can't really fault Benning... But to say that Julovi looks like Maata is just pure laziness...because they look almost identical in appearance, height and size but Julovi better be a bigger producer at the NHL level to justify passing up on some of the offensive pieces available

That was GoBoGo53 who made the comparison. Not me. Sorry to disappoint Han. I'd compare OJ to OEL, or Lidstrom if I had to choose. People on CDC should be stoked we get our first blue chip D prospect in forever. This guy is the real deal. Top 6 forwards can come via free agency, as shown. With Lucic, Okposo, and Eriksson. Let's be happy for once and stop playing the victim. It's a bad look and it's getting old. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

CBJ really F'd things up by taking Dubois. I was sad, but then got a little excited because Puljujarvi was still available. Then EDM took him. Puljujarvi on McDavid's wing. Great. So I thought, okay, we'll still get Tkachuk. And JB takes Juolevi. Shocked, but good on JB, he has the kahunas to draft the player the Canucks need, not who the fan base wants. It was the smart pick, considering how CBJ "changed the order". Benning is building us a winner.

Was an interesting groan from the BUF fans when Juolevi went at #5. Best D in the draft though, and D wins championships.

Canucks D of the future?

Juolevi - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stecher

Pedan

Subban

Larsen

Agreed,that CBJ screwed things up,..but you can't really get sore about,because it was out of everybody hands...Juolevi wasn't the sexy pick at 5.(also,there was probably disbelief in the crowd that we didn't pick Tkachuk).

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If Juolevi ends up playing for the Comets, I hope that the Canucks would somehow be able to move them from Utica to somewhere close by.

Benning said on the team 1040 that he would send him back to Junior if he doesn't make the team. That could change but that's the plan.

AHL would be nice but... london Knights are a decent organization.... Pretty dang decent... Like really decent... Decent.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Julovi was a good pick...

Comparing him to Maata wasn't a good comparison...it was lazy...You only said it because he is also Finnish, are both former Knights are are similar in size...Julovi's ceiling is much higher than Maaata's...I made no comment about building a team anywhere you are just drawing your own conclusions and running your mouth...kid

Personally, I think comparisons are overrated to begin with. Let the players become themselves. Let them show us what they bring. It seems like every year. fans, media, etc, want to say "oh this dude will become the name Kane" or "this bum will become the next ape!" Funny how, once the prospect develops into a full-time player, no one compares with to former players anymore....