The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not that long ago Cassels was also penciled in to be an NHL regular too. No guarantees.

Even Skille put up better points in the AHL than Virtanen.

He's gotta get his crap together otherwise he's gonna join the long list of top 10 players that busted.

Just gotta ask.

Who the hell said Cassels was going to be an NHL regular?  Outside of Apollo that is I mean

23 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

Wow so you think Backlund and Frolik are both "top 20 NHL players"..? Because that's who Tkachuk has played the majority of the season with. Or did you just blindly assume that because Tkachuk was putting up points that he must be on the Monahan/Gaudreau line..?

He gets decent PP time without question.

Something Willy would never give him here.  That spot belongs to megna

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much everyone.

He has been penciled into our third/fourth line until last season.

Been here a while now DeNiro

I don't recall many if any intelligent analysts or even posters making that claim.  I do recall a lot of people questioning his skating and offensive abilities and stating he'd be working his arse off over the next 3-4 years to even sniff the NHL but aside from Apollo and his ilk; nobody penciling him in anywhere worth mentioning

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Been here a while now DeNiro

I don't recall many if any intelligent analysts or even posters making that claim.  I do recall a lot of people questioning his skating and offensive abilities and stating he'd be working his arse off over the next 3-4 years to even sniff the NHL but aside from Apollo and his ilk; nobody penciling him in anywhere worth mentioning

All you have to do is take a quick peak at the Cole Cassels thread during the summer of 2015 to see there were countless bottom 6 projections. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All you have to do is take a quick peak at the Cole Cassels thread during the summer of 2015 to see there were countless bottom 6 projections. 

Didn't Trevor just say last week that he was really impressed with Cassels after watching him play?

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That was me immediately after the pick after not knowing much about Juolevi and being firmly in the Tkachuk camp.  

This is me and my thoughts about 20 minutes after the pick; looking at what our defensive needs would be, seeing what our forward core was going to look like and realizing what our timeline for developing/drafting new players was going to be.

I'm happy to change my mind based on the player, the effort and the situation.  I wanted player X, we got player Y; our team was looking like it was heading down a road to rebuild, and I still believe we will finish behind Calgary not just this year but the next 2 or three (I am actually shocked how bad they are doing this year with what looked like such an incredible D core and solid set of young forwards myself) but things happen and OJ is ours.  I changed my mind about 20 minutes after the pick was made and sit firmly in the pro OJ camp

I felt the same way about the pick.  I was kinda hoping for Tkachuk as well. mostly due to my own ignorance of Juolevi.  I was on board with the pick within 40 or so minutes after. I felt gutted after not getting tkachuk but once I learned about Juolevi more I was 100% game and I am very excitrd for him.  I would take him again if it were my choice in hindsight.  good pick!  

:D Juolevi the bomb.  just hope he's a less mistake ridden then edler.  Edler has some really weird moments lol. 

Juolevi to me. seeks to have more offensive upside then edler and is regarded as a smart player who often doesn't make mistakes in pressure situations. so essentially we get the less physical edler with more offensive upside and rare defensive failures. kind of like a mix of edler and tanev with more offense.  

Maybe that's not fair to break or combine them like that. but that's what I see in him. that Lidstrom comparison has me salivating. even if he's 3/4 as good. he is going to be amazing. not a fair player to compare any youngster too. but I see so much promise in his heart and competitive edge. he wants to win. he's a born winner who wants only the best for his team and their fans.  

fan fav I'm sure in years to come

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would be ecstatic if he was half as good.

Lidstrom is the best defenseman of all time in my books.

You mean only 3 Norris trophies and 571 reg season points with 91 playoff points and like 2 cups?

Ya I'd be thrilled

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would be ecstatic if he was half as good.

Lidstrom is the best defenseman of all time in my books.

Being a fan means imagining that a  prospect like Juolevi turns into Lidstrom (or 3/4 Lidstrom). It is similar to imagining winning the lottery. If Juolevi turns out as good as Edler, that would be a huge win.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Being a fan means imagining that a  prospect like Juolevi turns into Lidstrom (or 3/4 Lidstrom). It is similar to imagining winning the lottery. If Juolevi turns out as good as Edler, that would be a huge win.

Fair enough.

It's also important to not put too many expectations on these guys though. To pick one of, if not the best defenseman of all time to compare him to is a bit much to hope for I think.

Edited by DeNiro

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fair enough.

It's also important to not put too many expectations on these guys though. To pick one of, if not the best defenseman of all time to compare him to is a bit much to hope for I think.

Lidstrom was a great player but I am old enough to remember Bobby Orr. I have Orr at #1 and Lidstrom at #2. Both fantastic players and it would great to have someone at or close to that level on the Canucks.

Juolevi had 1 assist tonight in a London loss but Brisebois had a huge night, with 5 (!) assists in a win for Charlottetown in the Q. Not bad for a guy who is viewed primarily as a very good defensive D. It will be interesting to see him in Utica next year.

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Lidstrom was a great player but I am old enough to remember Bobby Orr. I have Orr at #1 and Lidstrom at #2. Both fantastic players and it would great to have someone at or close to that level on the Canucks.

Juolevi had 1 assist tonight in a London loss but Brisebois had a huge night, with 5 (!) assists in a win for Charlottetown in the Q. Not bad for a guy who is viewed primarily as a very good defensive D. It will be interesting to see him in Utica next year.

I can honestly see Brisebois being a top 4 defenseman for us in the future.

Juolevi/Stecher

Hutton/Brisebois

Tryamkin/?

14 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I can honestly see Brisebois being a top 4 defenseman for us in the future.

Juolevi/Stecher

Hutton/Brisebois

Tryamkin/?

As good as Stecher has been early on, I still think he would be better served playing on the second pairing.

Those pairing also need some more size and pushback, which is why I think Gudbranson will be in their long term plans.