The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Yeah, no point dwelling on the Canucks should've done at last years draft. It's done.

Although, with JB finding gems with Tryamkin and Stecher, our D looks pretty good for the future and in hind site, taking Tkachuk may have been the better move IMO. The Canucks don't have a succession plan for the Sedins and Tkachuk would've been a big piece. Let's hope the Hockey Gods look down upon us in July and provide us with a Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier.

3 hours ago, suitup said:

You really have to watch this kid play to really appreciate his game. I honestly think if he reaches his potential, the only thing separating him and Doughty would be his offense. If he can put up as much offense Doughty can, then man...

And the toughness 

I remember watching him at the prospects camp at shawnigan. Him and Stetcher were by far the 2 best d at the camp.  Stetcher, I was confident we would see this year(although not till late, his early success was a wonderful surprise).  Juolevi, wasn't far behind.  I would say famn close to on par with Stetcher in every area, better in some, just needed some size and grit/heart. He almost seemed too cool.  Stetcher's drive and heart were unmatched, that was the difference.  Juolevi also evaded checks like gretzky, so elusive(doughty in todays day)...so hard to catch.

51 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

I remember watching him at the prospects camp at shawnigan. Him and Stetcher were by far the 2 best d at the camp.  Stetcher, I was confident we would see this year(although not till late, his early success was a wonderful surprise).  Juolevi, wasn't far behind.  I would say famn close to on par with Stetcher in every area, better in some, just needed some size and grit/heart. He almost seemed too cool.  Stetcher's drive and heart were unmatched, that was the difference.  Juolevi also evaded checks like gretzky, so elusive(doughty in todays day)...so hard to catch.

When I look at how he plays and how he looked in prospects camp Juolevi definitely looks like he's going to take a few years to adjust to the pace of pro hockey. He really tries to be calm cool and collected out there but I think the speed of pro hockey is going to be a bit of a rude awakening for him. Kinda like how when Gaunce first came into the league, his smarts had always let him cruise around and still be ahead of the game but now he's learned he's gotta up the tempo and hustle. Juolevi is so calm and cool that once he puts on size and adjust to the speed of the pro game he's going to be one hell of a defender for us. It will take some patience though.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Seven pounds soft said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but pudgyharvy (Pujiarvi??) isn't in the NHL this year either but I wouldn't go and say that tkachuck is going to have the better NHL career than him. 

Just a little perspective I use to placate myself thought I would share. 

Ya and don't forget Brisebois as well.

On 2/20/2017 at 4:47 PM, RecklessReilly said:

I recently had the opportunity to watch a few knights games as I have been watching my cousin on the team. It was amazing watching Ollie control the pace of the game. He made very few if any mistakes. Made crisp accurate passes in stride and really drove the offense. He put up numbers in all the games. Talking to some staff, players and player parents they all agreed he was as smart as they come and smooth as butter. His shot could use work buy it should improve with weight and strength. My cousin says off the ice Ollie is a real quite well mannered kid who really likes Canadian culture. I was very impressed. Other players that stood out were; mete (montreal) and crawley (un drafted 19 year old). Also rasannen on kingston skates like a newborn deer.

I was able to watch the Knights play against the 67's yesterday and really focused on Olli's shifts. His pace of play was the thing that stuck out to me as well, in addition to controlling the blue line with very crisp passes, I didn't notice his shot much. He didn't seem like the most physically dominating player on the ice, which again probably will come adding more strength moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

This whole debate of Tkatchuk vs Juolevi reminds me of the Kopitar vs Bourdon from 10 years back.  

OMG :wub:  Kopitarzzz:wub:zzzz :wub:!!!! Shuld of drafted :wub: KOPITARZZ...lololol :wub: - ups, sorry, was just a reflex reaction.

You know some players are going to have amazing nhl careers.  Olli Juolevi is one of those players! gloats on about Olli. Helps bring ppl to the rink im sure but also stating the facts!~ hate how he is mispronouncing his name though lol

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

You know some players are going to have amazing nhl careers.  Olli Juolevi is one of those players! gloats on about Olli. Helps bring ppl to the rink im sure but also stating the facts!~ hate how he is mispronouncing his name though lol

Which one of you posted this? it has all canuck players lol. must be one of you who put this comp together lol

Olli looks bored with the OHL. The game is such a slow pace. He seemed to thrive when there was more of a challenge at the WJC's last year.  Hope he gets to work on some new techniques to help increase his offense.  I just hope bad habits don't set in from having it too easy.