The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 21/02/2017 at 5:31 AM, Bitter Melon said:

Remember after one year when people were losing their minds because Nichushkin just had a great rookie season while Horvat was back on the Knights?

Where are they now?

Am I saying that is going to be the case with Tkachuk? No. I'm simply saying that once again, half a season in the NHL means nothing.

This... +1

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Olli looks bored with the OHL. The game is such a slow pace. He seemed to thrive when there was more of a challenge at the WJC's last year.  Hope he gets to work on some new techniques to help increase his offense.  I just hope bad habits don't set in from having it too easy.

I feel like that's just how he plays the game, he's smart enough where he can slow it down to pace he feels comfortable with and almost always makes the perfect play.

1 minute ago, numb3r 16 said:

I feel like that's just how he plays the game, he's smart enough where he can slow it down to pace he feels comfortable with and almost always makes the perfect play.

I agree. but he makes it look too easy.  wish he was in a faster more skilled league where he could be thoroughly tested. 

1 hour ago, numb3r 16 said:

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I agree. but he makes it look too easy.  wish he was in a faster more skilled league where he could be thoroughly tested. 

This is precisely why I would like to see Juolevi go pro next year instead of repeating another year of junior hockey. 

39 minutes ago, suitup said:

This is precisely why I would like to see Juolevi go pro next year instead of repeating another year of junior hockey. 

Ya its too bad he can't go to the AHL. He'd have to put on some serious muscle this summer though to play in the NHL. Not only to defend against NHL sized players but to withstand the abuse. Bringing in guys that aren't physically mature enough yet is a recipe for injuries

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya its too bad he can't go to the AHL. He'd have to put on some serious muscle this summer though to play in the NHL. Not only to defend against NHL sized players but to withstand the abuse. Bringing in guys that aren't physically mature enough yet is a recipe for injuries

Which is why I think the NCAA produces the best defenseman. Too bad Juolevi can't play for Northeastern haha. 

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Which is why I think the NCAA produces the best defenseman. Too bad Juolevi can't play for Northeastern haha. 

Could Juolevi go play in a mens league in Europe next year? Might be the next best step for him. Juniors not being enough of  a challege for him to progress in his development but not physically ready for the NHL.

48 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Could Juolevi go play in a mens league in Europe next year? Might be the next best step for him. Juniors not being enough of  a challege for him to progress in his development but not physically ready for the NHL.

think now that he's sign his nhl entry level deal it cannot happen unless permitted by the canucks.  (if at all)

On 2017-02-22 at 0:52 AM, Rush17 said:

You know some players are going to have amazing nhl careers.  Olli Juolevi is one of those players! gloats on about Olli. Helps bring ppl to the rink im sure but also stating the facts!~ hate how he is mispronouncing his name though lol

How can anyone watch that and not get a bit excited. He's going to be our best Dman in a couple years.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder why the Euro players tend to choose the CHL over US collegiate? 

Probably because when they make that huge move all the way to North America for hockey, they do it for just hockey and getting acclimated to the country and culture.

By going to the NCAA, they're not only comitting to a new hockey program, they're also going to an academic institution which puts academic requirements for athletes as well. Having to adjust to the academic rigor (or really any academics really) creates a distraction from playing hockey. 

Also the CHL in general is also better known in Europe as the premier league en route to the NHL. 

16 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Yeah it's too bad. I don't think he should play in the NHL either. Personally think it's players like Juolevi that should go to a Euro leage next year so he can play a pro style game even if it's different. I made this claim earlier but got shot down. I still don't think it's a bad idea. We will see though. 

20 minutes ago, suitup said:

Yeah it's too bad. I don't think he should play in the NHL either. Personally think it's players like Juolevi that should go to a Euro leage next year so he can play a pro style game even if it's different. I made this claim earlier but got shot down. I still don't think it's a bad idea. We will see though. 

With Mackenzie, and now LeBrun, floating Ben Hutton's name in trade rumors, perhaps JB feels Olli is going to be on our team next season?  Maybe moving Hutton makes space for Olli?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Mackenzie, and now LeBrun, floating Ben Hutton's name in trade rumors, perhaps JB feels Olli is going to be on our team next season?  Maybe moving Hutton makes space for Olli?

OJ isn't far behind Hutton.  He has a much better game at the same age.  The only glaring weakness for OJ is size/strength. If those have improved enough, he could be an outside threat to make the roster. Better to let him marinate another year, unless he wows at camp. 

McEnemy might be the guy making Hutton replaceable. He is waiver eligible and can fill a spot on the roster. Either way we have depth to replace Hutton and address a team weakness. 

This team could lose 2 NHL d men this season and have two more come in from the system and not really suffer. 

Sbisa, replaceable

Guddy, harder to replace since we haven't seen why we have yet.  

Edler:  

OJ and Trymakin are going to be his replacements.  

Tanev:

hard to replace, but McEnemy, OJ and Brisebios are our best bets. 

Hutton:

Stecher looks more promising as a puck mover, OJ as well. McEnemy is another.  

Not replacable 

Trymakin and Stecher.  

EW

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Not to mention our other defensive prospects such as Pedan, Brisebois, Subban, McEneny who could all break into the league in the next year or two and then other longer shots such as Olsen, Sautner, Neill. It truly is impressive how our defensive depth has changed.

My Guess is that Juolevi is on our team next year, with a good offseason, I think he's ready.

Id be tempted to keep Hutton and move Sbisa for what you can get. This also makes sense for making room for Juolevi.

We basically just have too many D and need to move one or two

Edler Stetcher

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Juolevi               <----those are 8 quality D that will probably be on the team next year.

Biega-Larsen          <------Biega, one more year in AHL/waivers/NHL recall. Larsen, Gone next year or AHL

Pedan-McEnemy

Subban           <--------3 good D that are on the cusp of making the team. 

Brisebois-Olson-Sautner-Neill-Candella  <-----Canucks prospects that have a shot of making it in the years to come.

Thats a lot of Dmen. One could trade Hutton and Sbisa and plop in Juolevi, Tryamkin, Pedan leaving  

Edler-Stetcher

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Pedan

as your D corp next year.

37 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

McEnemy might be the guy making Hutton replaceable. He is waiver eligible and can fill a spot on the roster. Either way we have depth to replace Hutton and address a team weakness.

What we should hopefully see after the TDL, especially with the teams above us continuing to create separation, is to bring up McEneny and see what we have.  If he looks like an NHLer then yes, that could well open up the option of moving Hutton or better yet Edler for forward help.  If it's Hutton, we definitely need to get a like player in return -- young, waivers ineligible and ED protected, with a lot of unknown upside still.

14 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What we should hopefully see after the TDL, especially with the teams above us continuing to create separation, is to bring up McEneny and see what we have.  If he looks like an NHLer then yes, that could well open up the option of moving Hutton or better yet Edler for forward help.  If it's Hutton, we definitely need to get a like player in return -- young, waivers ineligible and ED protected, with a lot of unknown upside still.

I posted at the start of the season that a ED exempt NHL defender like Hutton with some upside likely has increased value this year. Especially as part of a package. Whether anything develops... meh. Good either way. 

Agree that we have to move one of the 4 ED defenders and one forward. You can make an argument for many different scenarios around any of them or a combo. 

Whomever they trade for or what picks they get back matter. The Canucks can hold tight and give up a player at the ED and likely resign both Burrows and Miller next season. 

EW

It would be a tremendous mistake to trade Hutton if not for an awesome return. 25 points for a rookie defender is great... if not for his early slump and injury, he could have matched that and more this season. Hutton's got all the tools and potential to be a 40+ point top 4 D in his prime. He probably won't be the next Karlsson or Weber but good offensive defensemen are always going to be a rare commodity in the NHL. 

Juolevi currently looks physically weak in the OHL. I'd say he's at least two years away from genuinely challenging for a spot on the Canucks roster. The amount of strength he's lacking isn't just something he could easily accumulate during one summer. 

• Upvote 2