The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

24 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It would be a tremendous mistake to trade Hutton if not for an awesome return. 25 points for a rookie defender is great... if not for his early slump and injury, he could have matched that and more this season. Hutton's got all the tools and potential to be a 40+ point top 4 D in his prime. He probably won't be the next Karlsson or Weber but good offensive defensemen are always going to be a rare commodity in the NHL. 

Juolevi currently looks physically weak in the OHL. I'd say he's at least two years away from genuinely challenging for a spot on the Canucks roster. The amount of strength he's lacking isn't just something he could easily accumulate during one summer. 

Depends on the return for Hutton though. Winnipeg fans seem to be happy to give up Connor for him. We have a surplus of D yet a serious lack of skill up front. If a guy like Connor would be coming back it might be worth it.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

With Mackenzie, and now LeBrun, floating Ben Hutton's name in trade rumors, perhaps JB feels Olli is going to be on our team next season?  Maybe moving Hutton makes space for Olli?

Speculation at this point and I don't think Olli is ready next year tbh. I say one more year of junior followed by another year in the AHL and should be ready by then. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Depends on the return for Hutton though. Winnipeg fans seem to be happy to give up Connor for him. We have a surplus of D yet a serious lack of skill up front. If a guy like Connor would be coming back it might be worth it.

If Wpg offered up Kyle Connor we'd certainly have to take a serious look at that.

8 hours ago, suitup said:

Yeah it's too bad. I don't think he should play in the NHL either. Personally think it's players like Juolevi that should go to a Euro leage next year so he can play a pro style game even if it's different. I made this claim earlier but got shot down. I still don't think it's a bad idea. We will see though. 

No he's better in Utica where Green can groom him for the Canucks

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

It would be a tremendous mistake to trade Hutton if not for an awesome return. 25 points for a rookie defender is great... if not for his early slump and injury, he could have matched that and more this season. Hutton's got all the tools and potential to be a 40+ point top 4 D in his prime. He probably won't be the next Karlsson or Weber but good offensive defensemen are always going to be a rare commodity in the NHL. 

Juolevi currently looks physically weak in the OHL. I'd say he's at least two years away from genuinely challenging for a spot on the Canucks roster. The amount of strength he's lacking isn't just something he could easily accumulate during one summer. 

Agree, he needs a season next year in Utica so Green can groom him

11 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No he's better in Utica where Green can groom him for the Canucks

7 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Agree, he needs a season next year in Utica so Green can groom him

Can't play in Utica next year.

London, Vancouver or Europe.

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Wpg offered up Kyle Connor we'd certainly have to take a serious look at that.

Would want more than that for Hutton. Hutton is already a proven NHLer where as Conner hasn't proven anything yet and isnt a sure bet.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya I've been informed about that. If he's not NHL ready next season then Europe is the best choice for him so he can play with men

I think the best place for Juolevi next year is back in Junior.

The issue is not so much that he needs to learn how to play with men. The issue is that he needs to add strength. He is tall and lanky with a high center of gravity. Playing with older stronger players he will probably get pushed around too much.

Also, it is not iike he is a dominant player in the OHL this year. He has room to improve. He can just work on improving all facets of his game. For example, although he is regarded as a good skater, he is not a particularly fast skater. He could work on his speed next year. And he can work on his shot. No reason he can't work on those things in the OHL.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

The issue is not so much that he needs to learn how to play with men. The issue is that he needs to add strength. He is tall and lanky with a high center of gravity. Playing with older stronger players he will probably get pushed around too much.

Also, it is not iike he is a dominant player in the OHL this year. He has room to improve. He can just work on improving all facets of his game. For example, although he is regarded as a good skater, he is not a particularly fast skater. He could work on his speed next year. And he can work on his shot. No reason he can't work on those things in the OHL.

As much as I'd like to see OJ here as soon as possible, unless he has a fantastic summer training and blows everyone away at camp he probably would be best suited back in London. Definitely will not make or break his career. Although, many around here will consider it the end of the line for him as a top prospect.

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

Another year in junior is a waist, for him to improve in all those area's he must start playing with men like Jake is. If he goes back to junior then we'll probably have to wait a couple more years for him because he will still need a year maybe alittle less in Utica.

22 hours ago, guntrix said:

Hutton has only played a year and a half in the league. He can skate and handle the puck his upside looks great why trade him when we know he'll improve and could improve a lot. 

• Upvote 1

if you want a really good chuckle. listening to this interview of Juolevi following the draft on tsn 1040.

I love this one lol:

https://m.soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/olli-juolevi-my-offensive-game-is-my-biggest-asset-but-i-want-to-be-a-two-way-guy

good times. I'm sure you all remember that situation happening lol.  the way Juolevi said it was hilarious. :D

If you didn't love Juolevi before this may change your mind.

Edited by Rush17