The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah tell that to the people comparing him to Lidstrom.

I may of been one of those people cautiously comparing him too Lindstrom.   I do that more as fun then an actually comparable though.   

I don't see the issue with it if ur having fun. but if ur getting after the kid in his first post draft season it's a little much.   plus he was the youngest top d in his draft.

it kind of relates to the Jake hate. let's hold off until he at least has some life experience under him.  I personally won't start considering a player even slightly disappointing until they hit 24 without production. some players take til there 22-23. it's the nature of the beast.

we are going to see some Juolevi next season at least for a brief stint.  let's see how the off season goes and how his up to 9 game stint goes. 

7 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Then by all means post the content because I literally just searched for his name and posted results. I did not see anyone sticking up for him or saying anything positive. 

Ya I went there too to see for myself and didn't see one positive post about Juolevi's play. Hopefully he's just disinterested with the competition and his play isn't an outlook into his future potential. I'm getting nervous that Benning f'd up both his top draft picks now. If neither Virtanen or Juolevi pans out this franchise is going to take a lot longer to rebuild. 

14 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

You are not wrong in your criticisms, but it would probably help if you gave a little context to them. I haven't seen Joulevi play a full game this year, just highlights, so I was interested in what you suggested in checking out the board by those who do watch the Knights on a regular basis. By all account from posters on the London Knights HFBoard, Joulevi is not having a good year. Posted below are all the comments that mention Joulevi in the last couple of months:

"Vande Sompel and Juolevi are playing lousy."

"Juolevi on first power play why?"

"If he cant make his time in the OHL successful he is done in hockey. As a 19 year old and 4th year player he would be returned to the OHL as it is a higher level of hockey that the finnish Jr leagues. He is not good enough to play in the Mens leagues as of now as he is struggling to dominate the O."

"Juolevi has regressed, Vancouver maybe should send him home to play in the Finnish Elite League or something? Not sure if they can or not though? They are in danger of looking like they wasted an awfully high pick IMO he has struggled badly."

"Juolevi shouldn't be in the NHL next year, but who knows what Benning will do."

"Joulevi is a bigger liability than Bouchard."

"I know I will take some heat here but Juolevi's game is really starting to grow old. It's great to be calm, cool and collected but goodness gracious does he actually ever play like he is even slightly interested in the outcome? I know go ahead flame away he is awesome, tell me the Canucks have him working on certain aspects of his game so he will excel in the NHL. But this season when it comes to him he has been a let down IMO. He seems disinterested, slow, yet he gets quality ice time on the PP with Mete?"

"Since the deadline London is 6-2-2 in January and 4-3 in February, they did fine at the start, it's just recently that the wheels have started to fall off. That being said there are a handful of players that are performing below par over the last few weeks, (Pu, Jones, Johnson) and then you have Joulevi who has regressed since last season. It's those players that have to figure it out."

"Bouchard and Juolevi seem to let guys get behind them too easily."

"Juolevi has been so weak that it really upsets the balance throughout the lineup. If Juolevi had played as well as he did last year we would not have needed to trade for MVS. With Mete out this hole on the back end widens to an infinite chasm that is impossible to plug."

"Bouchard has messed up the past few games...regardless of having scored a few goals. Erie has spoken volumes during the last two games we played against them while we're on MUTE volume. Mete is VERY MUCH missed, Joulevi needs to start playing like a 5th overall pick...not a fifth rounder. Can you sense my frustration?!?"

There was literally NOTHING positive said about Joulevi in the past couple of months. The opinion of most people on that board is that Mete has progressed past him and surpassed him on the depth charts. With that said, generally, the whole team has not been playing well as of late, lacking in motivation and drive. Joulevi could seemingly be a player that can only react to the overall teams ambition, but cannot lead the drive forward. Regardless, unless the Canucks management thinks this regression is because of the players or organization (not likely) of the London Knights, Joulevi should be back in the OHL next year, or even to a Finnish team, but not the NHL. 

THIS is how you do criticism.

I'm reading much 50/50 on the entire team myself 

I'm far from concerned when you look at that entire roster.  The amount if turnover and new faces is bound to have growing pains.

But they're Hunters club through and through.  Far from worried about any of them

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Buddy I told you fans on HF weren't saying good things about him.. You are delusional, I'm actually concerned about your health

You seem obsessed about a lot of the Canucks prospects, usually in a very negative way. Every time I come in here to see how they're doing I see you bad mouthing someone. Are you sure you're okay? Doesn't seem overly healthy to me.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The sedins are some of the most well conditoned athletes in thé NHL.... gym rats.

"Gym rat" refers to bodybuilders and those doing specific strength training.  Sure they like everyone work out in the gym, but not like a Horvat and Gaunce who crank major iron.  To wit:

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

The Sedins are not gym rats they keep in shape by a doing a number of other activities. The gym has little to do with their conditioning.

15 minutes ago, TU90 said:

I'm not sure man, just take a look at your profile. Almost every post is in the prospects forum and is usually overly negative. You seem to get off bashing 18 or 19 year olds, which is a little concerning. 

This is a straw-man. Way I look at it, there's two obvious options here. Either you're genuine, in which case, meh. Or, you're trolling, which is pretty lame.

The 5th Line has consistently provided an alternative voice on these forums. That's valuable, because it gets people thinking. It doesn't affect the most vocal because their opinions are set, but it can change the minds of the uninvested. 

Realistically, Juolevi's developed, but not as much as we would have liked. Pointing that out, albeit in different language, should not be slagged or derided. I think all of us should consider more factors when evaluating Juolevi however, perhaps most importantly our limited knowledge and extensive fallibility.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, logic said:

Lol @ anyone using HFBoard comments as evidence, that place has to be the most toxic hockey forum in existence. 

I bet two thirds of Knight fans are also Leaf fans, so yeah they're not going to want to say anything good about our prospects...

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Shocker.  They say nothing good about anyone on the Canucks, from ownership on down to players.  It's a cesspool circle-jerk of back-slapping puerile ignorance.

I do not think it is as easy as saying, "oh they have a close proximity to Toronto, they must be mostly Leafs fans; therefore, they must hate all Canuck prospects." If London Knights fans are not a good source (on the HFBoard), then what is a good source? 

If a Toronto prospect was playing for the Vancouver Giants and was absolutely killing it, I wouldn't say "he's a $&!# prospect" just because he was drafted by the Leafs. I would probably want him to be on the Canucks and envious of the prospect. This is similar to how the London Knights fans (on the HFBoard) feel about Matthew Tkachuk. But I guess that only applies to Canuck prospects? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I do not think it is as easy as saying, "oh they have a close proximity to Toronto, they must be mostly Leafs fans; therefore, they must hate all Canuck prospects." If London Knights fans are not a good source (on the HFBoard), then what is a good source? 

If a Toronto prospect was playing for the Vancouver Giants and was absolutely killing it, I wouldn't say "he's a $&!# prospect" just because he was drafted by the Leafs. I would probably want him to be on the Canucks and envious of the prospect. This is similar to how the London Knights fans (on the HFBoard) feel about Matthew Tkachuk. But I guess that only applies to Canuck prospects? 

Any fans opinion is subjective and is not evidence for how a player is doing, if people seriously use HFboard comments as an indication of how a player is doing, then that is a seriously flawed system of judging a player.

And no not just Canuck prospects, but the entire Canucks organization its not secret that they love to hate on us

Edited by logic

41 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Buddy I told you fans on HF weren't saying good things about him.. Are you delusional? 

So we're clear, you're the kind of guy that bad things happen to and rightfully so.   You're a sad, negative little person who probably doesn't get out much and that's fine.

But do me a favour and stop talking to me.  I have better things to do in my  life than validate someone who is 1 blown tinder match away from owning 6 cats

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Shocker.  They say nothing good about anyone on the Canucks, from ownership on down to players.  It's a cesspool circle-jerk of back-slapping puerile ignorance.

Love the english language some times.

Cannot wait for this years draft and the outpouring of support no doubt coming from this forum for their choice in the 1st round

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

So we're clear, you're the kind of guy that bad things happen to and rightfully so.   You're a sad, negative little person who probably doesn't get out much and that's fine.

But do me a favour and stop talking to me.  I have better things to do in my  life than validate someone who is 1 blown tinder match away from owning 6 cats

So used to seeing negativity on every post, every time I see his avatar it looks to me like a turd on a black background.  Yeah, I'm serious.

sheesh. juolevi will be fine. 

i think it's human tendency to be negative, it's very difficult to remain positive about anything, let alone this organization and it's prospects. i wanna try to be as supportive as i can with all of our prospects, but if they're not growing or developing as much as i think, i'll also post my thoughts on that. but incessantly bashing our prospects? well, maybe some of us just need a little bit more air. go out, meet people, get a life, etc. :lol:<_< enjoy life a little aside from the Canucks :P

• Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

No.  Go to the London Knights forum, those people live in London and watch the games lives.  They are strictly Knights fans with no bias towards the leafs or the Canucks

I dunno. they probably are knight fans, to be sure, but they probably are leafs fans too, this is ontario we're talking about. that's Leafs Nation. 

Ok, I generally try to say nothing too negative about our prospects as they are probably the most interesting part about the Canucks theses days, but is it not a little concerning how Juolevi seems to have slowed in his development this year? I have watched more than a few London Knights games and the points I saw brought up from that post quoting HFboards are often valid. He does seem very uninterested when he plays, almost to cool and calm. His skating his very smooth, but also way too relaxed and payers are always getting in behind him. He also doesn't get too engaged in battles down low and seems to struggle to run a powerplay once inside the o-zone.

There are still lots of positives about his game. As mentioned, he is remarkably smooth and calm, and his breakout passing skills are as good as last year, if not even better. Also his wrist shot seems to find a way to get through. His positioning is always excellent which at times makes up for his slow reactions/ lack of explosiveness.

My concern about all this is that either, he has taken a step back in his development. Or another possibiliy is that he is bored with the OHL and as a result his play seems uninterested. That second option may sound encouraging, but honestly I'd be a little disappointed if that were true. Any thoughts on why is play seems to have been like this so far?

Edited by OptionalPants

It's kinda sad to see a lot people on here get so caught up in hoping our prospects don't do well just so they can have a superior feeling of 'right'. Vocal about negativity, silent when it comes to positivity, They don't like 8/10 things our team does so why the hell are they still here then, whats the point of supporting a team when you don't support/like any of the moves or decisions they make. There's 31 other NHL teams to cheer for since some of you people clearly don't like a single thing about ours.

Win or lose I cheer for the Canucks because I love my team, and sometimes being a fan isn't about being right or wrong, its about supporting your team through thick and thin, and not bringing every single one of our damn prospects who haven't even played a fkn NHL game down.

Like damn, hockey is an escape from reality for me I don't want an escape to be clouded in negativity 24/7 if I wanted that I'd stay in the real world.

• Upvote 4