The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Ok, I'm over my disappointment at the Canucks not getting Dubois... and the Oilers lucking out with Jesse P.

Juolevi is going to be a solid playmaking defenseman, who has the potential to be elite.

Hopefully, if he is paired with a big stay at home D, he will provide the offensive flair this team needs.

Like Bennings says, he is building this team from the Goal out, and right now I think we are solid, with the list of goalies, and defensemen we have acquired. 

The offensive side of the equation is going to be limited for a while... (unless Benning goes for some BIG free-agents, which I think would be a mistake since the team is not ready to make a run)

I am happy we got Juolevi, sure I would have also like Tkachuk or if JP fell to us, but getting the top D available something we really needed we pretty much had to grab him.

Sure we could have tried to trade down and hope he would be their in a pick or 2 but that is a risk to take. Benning has made all his 1st round picks look pretty good thus far, so before overreacting good or bad let's let this play out for a year or 2.

But what I can say is.....Can't wait to see him live in Penticton at the youngstars Tourney!

• Upvote 1

Regardless of my desire to take Sergachev, I am warming to Juolevi.

Didn't HATE the pick, was a bit disappointed for a few reasons, most out of our control (CBJ, idiots)

He does have some sweet hockey sense.

Great passer and seems to switch gears, pretty elusive.

It is easier to gain muscle with hard work, than it is to gain IQ.

Not comparing him to Keith, but Keith's game is all between the ears, so that is where I am finding some comfort with this pick.

His offensive stats seem on the low side for such an offensive juggernaut like London, but I'm sure a lot of that was coaching as his game is very positional without a bunch of risk, which was probably the London plan. No need to have your d pinch if your offense is already more than capable. Juolevi on the Windsor Spitfires probably puts up higher numbers as the offence would revolve around him more than in London.

The one thing I am really pleased about is you can tell he is a good kid, and humble. Tkachuk even said something along the lines of "He'll might chirp that he was drafted ahead of me, but I doubt it because he is such a nice kid."

I have to be a fan of the person before I can be a fan of the athlete/artist, and I can already tell I am.

As the night has gone on, completely fine with this pick, and Sergachev is a long ways away out in MTL, not in the Pacific playing against us.

Edited by Cowichan Canuck
  • Upvote 1

Vancouver is starting to remind me a bit of the Nashville teams of old.  Solid goaltender in Jacob Markstrom and Thatcher Demko coming.  One very solid Back with Gubby Edler Tanev Hutton Tryamkin Pedan Olli and Sbisa.  Also our forward depth is not bad either.  Bo Horvat is actually on better pace than Kesler was in his development at this time. Baer is looking like he is coming a long nicely.  Got Jake whom could become a good power forward or at least a bottom 6 whom could pop in 10ish goals.  Boeser whom can hopefully become a number one winger.  If we could land Stammer (Unlikely) or Lucic (I don't honestly want him that much) we would be very competitive.

PS:  What string defense man did we get down to last year?  12 or 13.   

I always thought that we would pick Dubois,  never even considered they would take juolevi.  Pretty excited about his potential after learning a little more about him.  We now have one of the top 10 or 15 d prospects in the league.  It's been an awful long time since we could say that.

Assuming he goes back to London next year,  what would you need to see in terms of stats and development in order to consider this to be a great pick? 

10 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Regardless of my desire to take Sergachev, I am warming to Juolevi.

Didn't HATE the pick, was a bit disappointed for a few reasons, most out of our control (CBJ, idiots)

He does have some sweet hockey sense.

Great passer and seems to switch gears, pretty elusive.

It is easier to gain muscle with hard work, than it is to gain IQ.

Not comparing him to Keith, but Keith's game is all between the ears, so that is where I am finding some comfort with this pick.

His offensive stats seem on the low side for such an offensive juggernaut like London, but I'm sure a lot of that was coaching as his game is very positional without a bunch of risk, which was probably the London plan. No need to have your d pinch if your offense is already more than capable. Juolevi on the Windsor Spitfires probably puts up higher numbers as the offence would revolve around him more than in London.

The one thing I am really pleased about is you can tell he is a good kid, and humble. Tkachuk even said something along the lines of "He'll might chirp that he was drafted ahead of me, but I doubt it because he is such a nice kid."

I have to be a fan of the person before I can be a fan of the athlete/artist, and I can already tell I am.

As the night has gone on, completely fine with this pick, and Sergachev is a long ways away out in MTL, not in the Pacific playing against us.

I think London's dynamic top-line played a part in his low point total. I would imagine his secondary assists are low due to Tkachuk getting most of them while Marner/Dvorak racked up primary points.

1 minute ago, Shiftynifty said:

I think London's dynamic top-line played a part in his low point total. I would imagine his secondary assists are low due to Tkachuk getting most of them while Marner/Dvorak racked up primary points.

Finland also had a very dynamic top line and he was more than a point per game with them.

Can work both ways depending of what your coach wants from you to help the team the most.

Dale Hunter being a dman himself probably wanted the really young Finn to be very strong positionally before thinking about offense.

Really love the Juolevi pick. Been waiting for a puck moving presence on the back end since Ehrhoff left. Juolevi is going to fit that bill and more. 

Also loving the fact that the goaltending and defensive core seem to be set for the future. The forwards are very iffy at this point, but hoping that gets rectified in the coming drafts, college signings, and free agency.

He's basically another Tanev. Has good passing, better rushes than Tanev, good defensive iq and good gap control. I don't see how he's a fifth overall pick but I suppose if we can get scoring somehow this will look like a good pick.

I see good passing but he's missing the skating ability, physicality and hands to be seen as an elite defenseman.

I hope I'm underestimating him.

22 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Finland also had a very dynamic top line and he was more than a point per game with them.

Can work both ways depending of what your coach wants from you to help the team the most.

Dale Hunter being a dman himself probably wanted the really young Finn to be very strong positionally before thinking about offense.

I think something has to be said about his rookie season on smaller ice too. A guy has to be thinking defense first as he's making that adjustment. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

He's basically another Tanev. Has good passing, better rushes than Tanev, good defensive iq and good gap control. I don't see how he's a fifth overall pick but I suppose if we can get scoring somehow this will look like a good pick.

I see good passing but he's missing the skating ability, physicality and hands to be seen as an elite defenseman.

Don't understand how he's missing the hands. His skating is a non-issue as well. Regarding physicality, he's not the most physical defenseman, but from what I've read, he's not afraid to get physical if need be. 

He reminds me a lot of Hampus Lindholm. If he can be as good as him, we have an absolute gem in our organization.

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

This is slowly becoming the least valuable trait of NHL defencemen. The notion that you need to be physical to be good defensively is dying. Just look at stats like ability to deny zone entry. At nearly 6'3 he'll have the reach needed.

To say he is another Tanev is undervaluing what is becoming the most valuable trait of NHL dmen - ability to retrieve the puck and move it up ice quickly. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Don't understand how he's missing the hands. His skating is a non-issue as well. Regarding physicality, he's not the most physical defenseman, but from what I've read, he's not afraid to get physical if need be. 

He reminds me a lot of Hampus Lindholm. If he can be as good as him, we have an absolute gem in our organization.

Well he's not missing hands. But he doesn't have elite hands like top caliber nhl defensemen. His skating isn't an issue at the junior level but he will need to pick it up at the NHL level. You have to be a fast skater in junior to be average in the NHL. And he is without a doubt a solid defenseman but I don't think he will be elite. To lose a possible elite forward for just a solid defenseman is something I fear. He could become a number one but he has to hit the top of his potential. He will make a good number 2.

If we were to go out of order in the draft for a dman I'd want somebody who has the offensive skill of Jordan Subban but in a larger better defensively body.

4 hours ago, mediahack said:

Every draft the media talking heads and fans roast Benning. Every draft pick Gillis made was met with nothing but effusive praise by the same people. They were also roasting Benning last year for "reaching" on Boesner. Look at the results. Enough said.  

Pratt won't be able to rant with his "worst draft ever" like he did last year, as he's actually been pimping Juolevi pretty hard the last few days.

3 hours ago, Western Red said:

So are we talking  OEL? Salo? thats all I have atm for finnish lineage.

Lumme :)

15 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

If tanev had waaaaaay more skill.